What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,146 of 14,566

@Baldr: I'm busy playing with the (sadly) abandoned AT&T fiber that you cleverly implemented back in the days. Ordered a AT&T 1361 RX to add ST input to my Basic IIIa (and potentially GenV) and the matching 1261 TX for the Hifiberry Digi+Pro.
I'm sure you know what I'm referring to, here 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, back in the day they were great.  We upped the ante at the time with single mode cables which were much better.  The problem was that they were made by an artisan that could make one or two hand-lapped cables per hour which all sounded slightly different.  Kinda like Decca cartridges.  I hear you, a good one is a great one, but it would be a non-standard plug/socket and a non-reproducible product.

Been waiting a long time for a small piece of Schiit to play decent audio out of an iPhone (on the go).

Sorry, but you will be waiting a while on this one - the only way to do it is with Lithium batteries, which have brought down commercial airlines, (Just ask UPS cargo, seriously damaged the likes of Samsung - (Note 7).  We aren't that big and don't want to be sued over a component we didn't make.  Besides, I would feel really terrible if someone burned their dick off from anything I designed.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,148 of 14,566
  Yeah, back in the day they were great.  We upped the ante at the time with single mode cables which were much better.  The problem was that they were made by an artisan that could make one or two hand-lapped cables per hour which all sounded slightly different.  Kinda like Decca cartridges.  I hear you, a good one is a great one, but it would be a non-standard plug/socket and a non-reproducible product.

Single mode @ 850nm? Or a different transmitter / receiver pair altogether for typical single mode fibers (1300 ~ 1550nm)?
We can find multimode 50/125 fibers rated for 10Gb now. Could give them a shot.

Sorry, but you will be waiting a while on this one - the only way to do it is with Lithium batteries, which have brought down commercial airlines, (Just ask UPS cargo, seriously damaged the likes of Samsung - (Note 7).  We aren't that big and don't want to be sued over a component we didn't make.  Besides, I would feel really terrible if someone burned their dick off from anything I designed.

Forgetting the on the go (which means battery), if you could add the 0mA draw report like you do on the Fulla2, that'd open the possibility to use phone and tablets as a source, at home.
Heck, it would put your isolation scheme through its paces 
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,149 of 14,566
Mike,

Okay, I have an Yggy question regarding upsampling. I consider one of the great features of Yggy to be the "time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution" that "retains all the original samples". So, when I send music to Yggy using Audirvana Plus, I send the music in its native format and let Yggy do what Yggy does. And it sounds wonderful!

Now, on another forum I sometimes visit, a prominent poster (I have no idea about his engineering background) is suggesting that we should let software running on our computers do the upsampling because they have more horsepower and better upsampling code to handle the task than the DAC. I mentioned that I let Yggy do all this work because of the aforementioned filter. His response was that he doubts what you have done would exceed what the iZotope 64-bit SRC filter in Audirvana Plus could do. He goes on to say that "retaining the original samples is marketing IMHO" since the final step is filtering to analog.

What are you thoughts on this?

Note: I have yet to try using the iZotope 64-bit SRC filter to upsample to 24/176.4 or 24/192 because I am still burning in my Yggy. 

Thanks!

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,151 of 14,566

Now, on another forum I sometimes visit, a prominent poster (I have no idea about his engineering background) is suggesting that we should let software running on our computers do the upsampling because they have more horsepower and better upsampling code to handle the task than the DAC. I mentioned that I let Yggy do all this work because of the aforementioned filter. His response was that he doubts what you have done would exceed what the iZotope 64-bit SRC filter in Audirvana Plus could do. He goes on to say that "retaining the original samples is marketing IMHO" since the final step is filtering to analog.

Yes, and they are not real-time systems. They will carry the awesome (sarcastic) 64-bit maths ... when the system allows them to. Read: this is not a real-time system.

The up-sampling algorithm of the Yggy (and Gumby) is implemented in a powerful DSP processor, whose task is solely to compute these samples, in real time. Granted, with 32-bit precision, but Mike can confirm (or infirm) that it is sufficient for the given application (the Yggy is 21-bit resolution, Gumby is 19-bit).

I've worked with the same SHARC ADSP-21369 processor for various real-time audio projects at work and they have enough horsepower to carry complicated multi-channel algorithms.

Doing the maths in your computer also means that you need to transport a 192 or 384kHz signal to the DAC, which stresses your transport more (jitter and all) and limits the choices (S/PDIF limited to 192kHz).

Mike's approach alleviates all the above and is performed in a low power (~ low noise) processor who was designed exactly for that purpose.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #2,152 of 14,566
That said, it would be quite helpful if Schiit would have a definitive statement along the lines of Coax > USB > Optical (or whatever the order is) on their website. Ideally, they'd also offer a brief explanation in Laymen's terms of why it's better -- and if it's really an audible difference from their perspective given how good their current USB implementation is.

I agree with this idea, I need help with this aspect as well.

I know very little about digital data transport, i.e. what sounds best (and why), what works best and especially w/ my Gumby.  I've tried USB and it drops.  I've tried optical; it doesn't drop but the SQ is not as good as USB.  I know nothing about AES/EBU.  My music server is a Mac, so I assume the AES/EBU connections would require some kind of a converter.  I've read posts that claim AES sounds the best, so I am interested but don't know how to move forward...

Thanks for anticipated feedback!
Cheers,
RCBinTN

There are two problems with anything other than generalizations.  One is that performance varies from product to product, and also that it is never my privilege to endorse nor condemn anyone else's gear.  That said, generally, taken by themselves, coax is better than optical is better than USB.  Wyrds, reclockers, etc. can have significant impact.  YMMV squared.

Yes, and they are not real-time systems. They will carry the awesome (sarcastic) 64-bit maths ... when the system allows them to. Read: this is not a real-time system.

The up-sampling algorithm of the Yggy (and Gumby) is implemented in a powerful DSP processor, whose task is solely to compute these samples, in real time. Granted, with 32-bit precision, but Mike can confirm (or infirm) that it is sufficient for the given application (the Yggy is 21-bit resolution, Gumby is 19-bit).

I've worked with the same SHARC ADSP-21369 processor for various real-time audio projects at work and they have enough horsepower to carry complicated multi-channel algorithms.

Doing the maths in your computer also means that you need to transport a 192 or 384kHz signal to the DAC, which stresses your transport more (jitter and all) and limits the choices (S/PDIF limited to 192kHz).

Mike's approach alleviates all the above and is performed in a low power (~ low noise) processor who was designed exactly for that purpose.

Thanks for taking this one for me.

Now for something completely different, a closed system with better fiber needs more than one maker, but I hear you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 3, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,153 of 14,566
Something I didn't think about....Yggy upsamples everything to 352.8/384, right? So, unlike Mimby, there are no NOS situations that can be presented to Yggy. This means it makes even less sense to upsample in software AND then have Yggy upsample some more. Right?

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,155 of 14,566
I've been interested in a product like the microrendu with linear power supply. But, I don't want to pay $400+ for the power supply. I wonder if it would be feasible for a good engineer to offer one for $99... probably not. Heeheehee.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #2,156 of 14,566
  Something I didn't think about....Yggy upsamples everything to 352.8/384, right? So, unlike Mimby, there are no NOS situations that can be presented to Yggy. This means it makes even less sense to upsample in software AND then have Yggy upsample some more. Right?

Correct. Give Yggy the music in it's native resolution, sit back, and let it do the magic. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2,157 of 14,566
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw a Story the other Day About An Apple IPhone 7 Plus also into meltdown mode. I wonder if this is a result of charging and the variety of chargers out there which may or may not fall into spec, QC issues or just bad design.  I have Pondered this and have decided to keep My Phone in My Back Pocket Away from Vital Organs. I would rather lose an @ss cheek. Besides it probably would not be a bad idea to get off it for a bit anyway. 

undefined

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-looking-into-iphone-7-plus-meltdown-video-2017-2

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,158 of 14,566
Mar 3, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,160 of 14,566
I've been interested in a product like the microrendu with linear power supply. But, I don't want to pay $400+ for the power supply. I wonder if it would be feasible for a good engineer to offer one for $99... probably not. Heeheehee.

Just get one of the $50 Chinese ones.  That's what I did for my SMS-200 and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a $15 Jamesco.  I don't see the logic in spending  more than what the "main" device cost.

That being said, I have this hypothesis  that switching supplies inject noise back into the mains and that causes problems in other components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back