What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,801 of 14,566
  Think of tubes as you would the tires on your car. They wear out roughly the same way and yes, they are expiring as you listen. Preamp/phono pre tubes do the same only at a much slower rate.  

ray

Errr....

My tires don't wear out at all if I don't drive the car.

They might lose air pressure, though.

Seems like a weird analogy.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,802 of 14,566

Not true for Class A voltage or power amplifiers. The plate current is the same at zero signal or full signal conditions. For Class AB, that is true, the plate current at idle is less than the plate current at high signal conditions.

I believe Asgard (no tubes) is the only 100% Class A amp that Schiit offers.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,805 of 14,566

I'm not saying it's implausible, I'd just like to see some data from a study.

My anecdotal experience agrees with yours, but a) it's a single data point b) tube manufacturing tolerances vary immensely c) I've not had my tubes tested/graded so I really don't know how degraded they are.

No "study" is necessary. Look at the operating points for class A and AB amplifiers and you will see the operating point conditions, which affect plate dissipation.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,806 of 14,566

No "study" is necessary. Look at the operating points for class A and AB amplifiers and you will see the operating point conditions, which affect plate dissipation.

And how does that translate to the wear and tear on the tube itself?

I certainly don't know enough to derive lifespan knowing only plate dissipation.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,807 of 14,566
  Schiit recommends that if you are not going to listen to a tube amp for more than an hour, that you turn it off to preserve tube life.

Can Mr. Baldr comment to clear this up. Since schiit does not manufacture tubes, they have no vested interest in 'selling razor blades' even tho their razors are inexpensive relative to their competitors.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,809 of 14,566

Tires do deteriorate over time, even if the car never moves. They can "flat-spot" as the compound grows less flexible and thus become impossible to balance. And the whole tire becomes much more prone to failure at speed. Leaving the vehicle outside, especially in an ozone-rich environment, accelerates the process. Kinda off topic, admittedly, but a safety tip for head-fiers who don't drive a lot.

And no, I don't own a tire store.

And to get back OT, really getting intrigued by Manhattan Project. Even if it doesn't use tubes (it doesn't, right, Mike?)

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,810 of 14,566

Errr....

They might lose air pressure, though.

Seems like a weird analogy.

You are supposed to replace tires when they are six years old.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,811 of 14,566
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #1,812 of 14,566
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,814 of 14,566
Jan 24, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,815 of 14,566
Why build a tube emulator when they build the Freya, which is a great piece of kit? The Manhattan Project is something altogether new, having to do with the digital representation of music, something that has never been done before. 

Funny, the my left brain says you're right: it's much more than a soft tube, but my right brain hopes for the soft tube. And geez if ever there were a great investment! How much do audiophiles spend on tubes and their supporting circuitry?

Imagine a Freya-level piece with its tube magic but lasting 25 years or better with no upkeep hassles? Of course there is the cost of computational hardware, software, and energy, but c'mon. You know you would buy it. :slight_smile:.

To Mike and Jason and all the folks at Schiit: For the last decade since it's been purely a hobby, I go all over the web to follow audio trends and advances. But more and more I read about your company. No longer a business for me, I just love to set up or improve systems for friends and family. But I read about *your* work in order to feel good about the future. No exaggeration, you folks are honoring good and decent values, and inspiring so many of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back