What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 15, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #14,011 of 14,566
IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg
Love it! Spine-tingly... keeping A2 this time is nice (would not have done it otherwise). Thanks @Baldr @Jason Stoddard & Dave!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #14,013 of 14,566
80BC48BC-0CEB-4E58-BB0B-39AF277EFF86.jpeg

so I bought a Berlioz record but the foam inset from 1978 has disintegrated onto the record. What’s the best way to clean it? I am a neophyte.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #14,015 of 14,566
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #14,016 of 14,566
The Slippery Slope from Science to Orthodoxy to Creed to Opinion

What do I sell in my D/A converters? The clear answer is science. Yup, absolutely. Seems that science is a continuously evolving corpus of verifiable and repeatable knowledge of physical universe events. Definitely what I build has been evolving for forty years.

But wait – I build what I want to. Hmmm… I just slid down the scale to opinion?? Damn. The problem for must of you out there is you depend on “experts” such as me to build D/A converters. So What is an expert? Someone who relies in science? Someone who has experience? Someone who puts on a good show solemnly intoning the right and only way? I figure it is the person who makes something people want.

Its a hubristic and arrogant step from science to orthodoxy, likewise to creed. Too often there is a revolving door between these classes, which results in a politic based on buddies and money. This was a problem for Copernicus. If the politic of his contemporary scientists and church figures had prevailed, we could still believe the sun revolved around the earth. In the current absence of church influence the orthodoxy and creed has tended to merge with the science (this is an observation, not a political or moral statement).

Now what I have in common with Mormons or the Orthodox Jewish is that I have a lot invested in my creed and opinion. If I build I build Schiit people don’t want I will eventually go hungry. After all, who wants to hire some neurally compromised curmudgeon?

So all I can do is build what I like. Exactly what I do. But I can’t do it without you. So thanks, really.
I have worked in (non audio) engineering my whole long life, I have taken a lot of data. I have done a lot of theoretical analysis. The real designers know when to follow the theory, when to throw their hands in the air and just follow the data, and when to ignore both and (prudently) try something that is in their gut. Sometimes the gut is right. Sometimes the theory has to be adjusted to match reality. I get tired of people on the internet spouting technical theories when their lifetime expenditure on comic books exceeds their lifetime expenditure on solder. Carry on! You are making good Schiit. May you keep doing it for a long time. It sounds like 7/10 Yggy ideas didn't work but 3/10 sound good. That average will get you a job in baseball.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #14,017 of 14,566
It sounds like 7/10 Yggy ideas didn't work but 3/10 sound good. That average will get you a job in baseball.
A .300 batting average with timely home runs, over a career, will put you in the pro baseball Hall of Fame.

The Schiit philosophy is to audio what moneyball was to baseball.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #14,018 of 14,566
I've got a feeling that "Less is more" is going to be upsetting to the ASR crowd.
There is a Cartman quote I’ll say to those guys.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #14,020 of 14,566
Question for the knowledgeable: USB is supposed to be hot swappable, but is it recommended you shutdown DAC/amp before changing the USB cable?
Most DACs are completely fine with swapping cables at will. The Topping DX7s got into a funky state sometimes where it stopped producing sound, then you had to turn it off, disconnect the power and leave it like that for half a minute or so, but even that wasn't always the case.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #14,022 of 14,566
Question for the knowledgeable: USB is supposed to be hot swappable, but is it recommended you shutdown DAC/amp before changing the USB cable?
I would. On my Bifrost 2 and / or the desktop it is connected to, SOMETHING becomes very unhappy if you futz with the cables when it's all powered up. Ended up having to power cycle (full power down and back up on the desktop) both of them to restore things.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #14,023 of 14,566
Just a little tip for people using Mac minis (or any Mac or PC, I guess): if you have multiple USB ports you can use for connection to your DAC, try them all out. I just switched the port I use and got a minor but nice increase in sound quality.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #14,024 of 14,566
So it's been a few years and processing power has increased.
Would things be audibly better if the megacomboburrito filter was increased to 16x or 32x or whatever will completely consume the computational power of the FPGA or DSP chip Schiit uses?

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #14,025 of 14,566
I m not falling for their trick. I'm holding out for the 'Even Less is Even More' DAC. It is rumored to be the Gumby replacement.*

*I just started that rumor. You heard it here first, folks. :smirk:
Don't count on it...I predict Gumby will be knifed and be essentially replaced by "Less is More".

Predicted the death of Gugnir when Mjolnir was knifed - I think the Mjolnir/Gumby combo was just too much of an in-between product line. Mjolnir at least distinguished itself as Schiit''s high end tube offering, but didn't sell well enough to make it out of Thunderdome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back