What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #11,536 of 14,566
Did you try it with different cables? Oh, never mind!
It needs an AudioQuest power conditioner and cable. Won't ever get consistently ground coffee with poor ac power! Probably why under developed countries have the best coffee. There are fewer heavy power users on the grid wrecking the ac. The $6K PS Audio Power Plant might be even a better choice! Add a power pole to seal the deal and open a one of a kind coffee shop.
https://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audiophiles-in-japan-are-installing-their-own-1785291714

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #11,537 of 14,566
EK43-Grinder-Aluminum-Intelligent-Dosing-Ring-for-Brewing-Bowl-Coffee-Powder-for-Espresso-Barista-Tool-for.jpg

This is my new dosing cup. The little bump in the center is attached to the bottom, which rests on the outside ring and, when pulled up and out, both releases the coffee into the portafilter below and sprinkles it in a very nice way so as to break up any clumps (not that EK43 creates many clumps to begin with).

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to experiment with a slightly coarser grind, maybe 0.75, and go down to 21g. Previously I only measured as the grinds went in, not as they came out. I realize now I will need to start measuring as they come out as well to account for grounds held in the burrs.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #11,538 of 14,566

Hmmm...can't tell if you're helping him troubleshoot or recommending a cable upgrade to get a more realistic chirping sound?! :baby_chick:

...for the upgrade scenario, I'd recommend Cryo-treated, Silver with the Dirac quantization grids

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #11,539 of 14,566
Hmmm...can't tell if you're helping him troubleshoot or recommending a cable upgrade to get a more realistic chirping sound?! :baby_chick:

...for the upgrade scenario, I'd recommend Cryo-treated, Silver with the Dirac quantization grids

That would have been my second recommendation. :laughing:

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #11,540 of 14,566
I think the coffee needs to be crypto treated more than the grinder power cable

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #11,541 of 14,566
This all sounds more complex than audio !!

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #11,543 of 14,566
I think the coffee needs to be crypto treated more than the grinder power cable

NOW we're talking!!! Of course, the easy solution would be to treat with Bitcoin but I'm recommending Ethereum Classic, etc. :wink:

Fancy name...

Cool Logo!
logo.png

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #11,544 of 14,566
EK43-Grinder-Aluminum-Intelligent-Dosing-Ring-for-Brewing-Bowl-Coffee-Powder-for-Espresso-Barista-Tool-for.jpg

This is my new dosing cup. The little bump in the center is attached to the bottom, which rests on the outside ring and, when pulled up and out, both releases the coffee into the portafilter below and sprinkles it in a very nice way so as to break up any clumps (not that EK43 creates many clumps to begin with).

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to experiment with a slightly coarser grind, maybe 0.75, and go down to 21g. Previously I only measured as the grinds went in, not as they came out. I realize now I will need to start measuring as they come out as well to account for grounds held in the burrs.

Thanks for this... haven't seen one of these before, so I have just ordered one from eBay. I use a Breville Smart Grinder at the moment, and grind into a stainless steel panacotta mould, that sits on a small jewelers scale, both of which fit under the grind chute on the grinder. So I grind to weight, currently 21grams +/- a little. The problem is then getting the grinds into the portafilter, which this gadget appears to solve nicely!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #11,545 of 14,566
Nice!

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #11,546 of 14,566
Still trying to dial in the perfect shot on the EK. A setting of 0.75 on the grinder and 21.1g still choked the Breville Dual Boiler, so next will be 21g at 1.0 on the EK.

After 350g of french press coffee this morning, though, I may be coffeed out after this shot.

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #11,547 of 14,566
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the SE outputs on Yggdrasil 2(B) are still summed from the balanced signals or was that changed with the new analog 2 boards?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #11,549 of 14,566
I don't even want to describe the personal hell (coffee-wise) of being an airline pilot and drinking hotel coffee 3-4 days per week. The occasional hotel room that has a Keurig is a significant upgrade compared to what's normally available. What's in those foil-sealed, single serve packs anyway? I'm guessing it's the residual dust from cheap coffee beans that were ground 3-4 years ago and settled to the bottom of the bin.

Travel with an Aeropress, and vacuum seal individual pre-ground 17 gram doses. As long as the room has a microwave to heat up some bottled water you're all set. Best setup there is for someone who travels a lot.
Still looking for a small portable electric pot though.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #11,550 of 14,566
Geez that's alot of work for such an expensive item. You should ask Schiit to make a grinder. I bet it would be ready to go when it arrived at your door.

Is this normal for grinders in your world?

My chopper just needed to be washed/rinsed. And that's a 20 dollar item.

There is a history of audio companies making coffee gear, too. Versalab used to make the Versa Dynamics turntable. Excellent table even if it was over $8,000 back in the 1980s.

https://www.versalab.com/GRINDER.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back