What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #9,376 of 14,566
I have one from monoprice that barely gets the job done. I haven't seen any other than the cheapo kind I have.

I figured there would be nicer ones out there since a lot of people us apple tv, roku etc..

Who make the good ones?
"One" what?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #9,377 of 14,566
The concert was great - Bolero is always fun, though the Bartok Piano Concerto #3 was probably the best thing - my personal favorite was Ravel's Alborado del gracioso. Pablo Heras-Casado is a fun maestro.
For your recorded music pleasure: the 1960-61 DGG recordings of Bartók's 3 piano concertos by Géza Anda and Ferenc Fricsay with Berlin's Radio Symphony Orchestra are still the best recorded performances I know. Next best is 1985's Zoltán Kocsis with Iván Fischer and Budapest Festival Orchestra on Phillips.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #9,378 of 14,566
Can you already lift a corner of the veil and tell us which laser/spin unit you are going to use?
Front- or toploader?
Or slot loader. You never know – a car stereo transport could turn out to be good. Probably more rugged (temperature extremes, shock resistance) :).

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #9,381 of 14,566
I'm not crazy about slot loaders but if it is quiet, reliable, safely handles the discs and doesn't sound worse, I'm okay with it. For some reason I would expect tray loaders to be the worst from a noise and reliability standpoint but have no experience to back that up. I've always used tray loaders (except in auto). Got a NuPrime CDT-8 ordered, I plan to compare those aspects with my ERC-3. Actually a top loader suggests to me it could best but I never tried one and it would require placement with adequate space above it to deal with.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #9,382 of 14,566
Well, it is telling a story — Petrushka is a ballet after all (composed for Diaghilev's Ballets Russes and performed by Nijinsky). You've expressed dislike for programmatic music in general, but I happen to like the piece.

It is one of my favorite violin concertos, and the main draw for me to attend the concert (tomorrow). I love both Petrushka and the Rite, but I've heard both of them enough (live and recordings) that I wouldn't be going without the violin concerto also on the program.

Kopatchinskaja Is my favorite performer of the concerto. Her spontaneous, improvisatory style suits the music well.

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #9,383 of 14,566
Well, it is telling a story — Petrushka is a ballet after all (composed for Diaghilev's Ballets Russes and performed by Nijinsky). You've expressed dislike for programmatic music in general, but I happen to like the piece.

It is one of my favorite violin concertos, and the main draw for me to attend the concert (tomorrow). I love both Petrushka and the Rite, but I've heard both of them enough (live and recordings) that I wouldn't be going without the violin concerto also on the program.

Kopatchinskaja Is my favorite performer of the concerto. Her spontaneous, improvisatory style suits the music well.

Very nice. I got into Stravinsky and Varese when I about 16 via Frank Zappa. Zappa said most of his fans wouldn't know great music if it bit 'em on the ass. I think I started with The Right of Spring, and discovered along the way Symphony in Three Movements.
That was 1967...as I've added years my interest in smaller ensembles increases...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #9,385 of 14,566
gif-3.gif

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #9,386 of 14,566
Iced mocha, regular mocha, espresso, strawberry almond butter stuffed french toast.

Knappertsbusch 1951 Parsifal.

A perfect Sunday.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #9,388 of 14,566
The transport could be a world's first bottom loader. :)

It could “dump” your disc when done.

I heard the transport loads from the back and uses class D opamps.

I hope the back loader is a vertical slot loader. Could call it the Schiit Kraken and ship it with a Cthulhu floor wart.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #9,389 of 14,566
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #9,390 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back