What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #4,351 of 14,565
I've had the EITR for a couple of weeks now and it continues to impress as I go through more and more of my music. I must, however, confess to a heinous sin ... I put a microRendu (which I already had) and an Uptone USPCB connector (a reasonable $35) in front of the EITR. The sound is quite superb ... stage width and particularly depth are excellent ... detail is palpable ... it demands attention which I will happily give !

I have a question though ... I switched off the vBus power (on the connector), thinking it would make no difference, as the EITR is self-powered. But no, it disconnected from the microRendu (the light on the EITR went out and the GMB relay clicked). Surprised me somewhat ... is there a reason why the EITR still requires power from the vBus ? Just curious.
The pre-isolated input draws a few milliamps from the source. That's why.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #4,352 of 14,565
Ah, OK ... thank-you.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #4,353 of 14,565
Bingo... and it is deceiving, but the i2s (bitclock and wordclock) is being sent *into* the pi, aligning (leading edge of the squarewave) pcm data perfectly... with the same bitclock, wordclock-- Bit perfect is the easy part, now ya gotta prep it for the Dac chip.
I see you have the Digione on your desk as well. Yet still the 502 is your favourite?
Any particular reason? Not that it really matters anymore because my 502 has been ordered(and send by now).

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,354 of 14,565
I see you have the Digione on your desk as well. Yet still the 502 is your favourite?
Any particular reason? Not that it really matters anymore because my 502 has been ordered(and send by now).
No I2S header on the Digione. Also, most of the benefits come from the flip-flop relocking, which only happens for the spdif signal.
Isolator + DAC502 is an easier/better choice for I2S.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #4,355 of 14,565
Following the RPi & Eitr discussions with interest. Anybody compared RPi>USB>Eitr>DAC to mR>USB>Eitr>DAC for sound quality?

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #4,357 of 14,565
No I2S header on the Digione. Also, most of the benefits come from the flip-flop relocking, which only happens for the spdif signal.
Isolator + DAC502 is an easier/better choice for I2S.
I`m gonna use it in a more conventional way anyway because I do like to walk around the house on socks :)
Did you get a chance to compare the digione and 502? Seems only a few people heard both.
And as always they don`t seem to agree on what sounds best.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,358 of 14,565
I`m gonna use it in a more conventional way anyway because I do like to walk around the house on socks :)
Did you get a chance to compare the digione and 502? Seems only a few people heard both.
And as always they don`t seem to agree on what sounds best.
Why does there always have to be a better and therefore also a worse.
If they sound different that's OK with me. I have the 502 and it sounds OK with my gear. But maybe with other gear .............

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4,360 of 14,565
I have everything needed for that comparison but the mR. If someones sends me one I'll do it.
Arrgh, sold an mR not too long ago, still have one but it's essential for my home office system... Maybe I'll put down the $$$ to do the experiment myself.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #4,361 of 14,565
Why does there always have to be a better and therefore also a worse.
If they sound different that's OK with me. I have the 502 and it sounds OK with my gear. But maybe with other gear .............
It is more that they use different approaches to the isolation from the pi. So one might actually expect one of the two to be better. But one also would expect people to agree on that.
I mean it more in a qualitative way, not quantative as in : do you like the sound? Because than you are totally right, it differs per system.

Unfortunately, as I discovered since getting into this audio-mess,Tthere is always a step up from where you are now. So one has to keep asking.
And I havent even been to Pietro yet to find out how 50 steps up sound.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #4,362 of 14,565
Just bought eight ballets with SF Ballet as well as a further three with Smuin—which join 21 events at symphony hall, eight at the opera (incl. the ring in June) and 5 at the Met to round out an excellent coming season! I'll make a point to note any especially interesting performances. Elektra is coming up first...

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #4,363 of 14,565
Elektra is coming up first...

For some reason I can't listen to Richard Strauss. To me, it is always very busy, but also very empty music (contrary to Mahler, who's music I love). According to a friend of mine who is very deep into art, this emptiness is on purpose, it is to show how empty our existence is. I don't know if I remember his explanation correctly. Maybe I will one time reach the maturity to like Richard Strauss, but up till now, I resist it with a passion.

In Jason's thread we had audiophile confessions, this is my classical music confession......

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #4,364 of 14,565
For some reason I can't listen to Richard Strauss. To me, it is always very busy, but also very empty music (contrary to Mahler, who's music I love). According to a friend of mine who is very deep into art, this emptiness is on purpose, it is to show how empty our existence is. I don't know if I remember his explanation correctly. Maybe I will one time reach the maturity to like Richard Strauss, but up till now, I resist it with a passion.

In Jason's thread we had audiophile confessions, this is my classical music confession......

Gus is my main man too, but I do like Strauss as well. Verdi is the composer I can't seem to come to grips with. Tried Traviata, Othello, even his Requiem. Give me late Puccini and let me wallow in his music. But then I'm more of an orchestral music lover than an opera-file. Late Wagner and late Mozart are also favorites of mine when it comes to opera.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #4,365 of 14,565
For some reason I can't listen to Richard Strauss. (snip) this is my classical music confession......

Cultural Philistine....:ksc75smile: Education is your only hope.......:L3000:

That said. Enjoy the journey into the musical wilderness. If you see any of us Bohemians, don't shoot first, and then ask questions.....We're just a different species of weird.......:floatsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back