What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,657 of 14,566
  This just crossed my desk. The noteworthy phrase, of course, is "a modular design that can accommodate high-end CPUs and big honking hot-running GPUs, and which should make it easier for Apple to update with new components on a regular basis."

In a universe of increasing miniaturization of components, gluing rather than screwing together, and frenetic proprietarization of I/O (and everything else) this seems like a stunning validation of the Schiit philosophy. The trash can mac pro is a dead man walking; the new "mac pro tower mini" we should expect next year. Granted, this is a niche of a niche, but for high-end stuff (as all audiophile gear is, compared to the total market for the acoustic reproduction of sound), it was extremely gratifying to see.

One could just ditch Apple for good if upgrading hardware is important. I built my current PC in 2013, and have since upgraded my RAM once and GPU twice.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,658 of 14,566

One could just ditch Apple for good if upgrading hardware is important. I built my current PC in 2013, and have since upgraded my RAM once and GPU twice.

100% true. The importance of the announcement is merely that Apple is conceding the value of the modular philosophy for high-end components. Whether one should buy Apple modularity or Gorblesnort 9000 modularity is, of course, for each person to determine for himself.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,659 of 14,566

Mike, would you mind elaborating on what some of these "invisible" minor changes are? As someone with no experience in designing products or manufacturing I'm curious how these are handled and how often they occur. I have no doubt that this happens all the time with all kinds of products, so I'm just genuinely curious. This isn't meant as a critique of Schiit or your work.

Not Mike, but I manage and (manage to) design some electronic products myself. I believe Jason's said this too, but there are usually running changes to the build-of-materials (the “BOM”) list and minor revisions to the circuit board to either harmonize parts (use more of the same kind of part like a resistor of some physical dimension, type, and value, so you can buy more of them for cheaper), replace discontinued parts with parts that are available, or fix problems like people killing boards with static or other things that are discovered over the lifetime of a product as real people use them, or manufacturing issues that the board house may discover when they build these boards.

There may be other reasons, but those tend to be the most common ones: make it cheaper, easier to manufacture, and more durable. Features and performance tend to stay the same.

Speaking of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, the John Eliot Gardiner recording on Archiv, while not great in sound quality, is an amazing performance, and perhaps the most technically proficient of those out there, and he totally takes advantage of his ensemble's capabilities: the big fugues have never been so thrilling. For those who don't know, Beethoven wrote this piece when he was basically deaf, so he didn't know how difficult this piece was to actually sing and perform, so it's a very hard piece to pull off without struggle, and Gardiner's is one of the few recordings that does.

Other songs that belong in the same tier as Strauss's 4 Last Songs: Mahler's Rückert-Lieder, Das Lied von der Erde, and the Liebestod from Tristan & Isolde.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,660 of 14,566
  Not Mike, but I manage and (manage to) design some electronic products myself. I believe Jason's said this too, but there are usually running changes to the build-of-materials (the “BOM”) list and minor revisions to the circuit board to either harmonize parts (use more of the same kind of part like a resistor of some physical dimension, type, and value, so you can buy more of them for cheaper), replace discontinued parts with parts that are available, or fix problems like people killing boards with static or other things that are discovered over the lifetime of a product as real people use them, or manufacturing issues that the board house may discover when they build these boards.

There may be other reasons, but those tend to be the most common ones: make it cheaper, easier to manufacture, and more durable. Features and performance tend to stay the same.

Speaking of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, the John Eliot Gardiner recording on Archiv, while not great in sound quality, is an amazing performance, and perhaps the most technically proficient of those out there, and he totally takes advantage of his ensemble's capabilities: the big fugues have never been so thrilling. For those who don't know, Beethoven wrote this piece when he was basically deaf, so he didn't know how difficult this piece was to actually sing and perform, so it's a very hard piece to pull off without struggle, and Gardiner's is one of the few recordings that does.

Other songs that belong in the same tier as Strauss's 4 Last Songs: Mahler's Rückert-Lieder, Das Lied von der Erde, and the Liebestod from Tristan & Isolde.

Thanks for your input, interesting to hear.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,661 of 14,566

What of Kirsten Flagstad? Where's bosiemoncrieff when we need him?

Oh I take Frida Leider to Kirsten Flagstad every day of the week. Leider is a resplendent cabernet to Flagstad's german beer.

Heresy, perhaps.

Likewise, I take Max Lorenz to Lauritz Melchior. More deeply felt. Much better actor.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,663 of 14,566
I happen to love my Mac Pro. A Cookie Monster dwells there :p

Thanks for reminder of Gardner's reading of Missa Solemnis - which I haven't yet listened to on Yggy :eek:

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,664 of 14,566
... transport (Onkyo C-7030 ain't terrible and has coax out)

As noted in earlier  post, I like to watch opera as well as listen to the music.  I think the Onkyo noted is CD only, I need something that plays DVDs as well.
Coax and/or toslink out is essential, I have no interest in the on-board DAC, just the ability to cleanly deliver the digital stream.
Does anyone have a recommendation that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks.  NF

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,665 of 14,566
As noted in earlier  post, I like to watch opera as well as listen to the music.  I think the Onkyo noted is CD only, I need something that plays DVDs as well.
Coax and/or toslink out is essential, I have no interest in the on-board DAC, just the ability to cleanly deliver the digital stream.
Does anyone have a recommendation that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks.  NF

I recently got a new Pioneer Elite BDP 80FD that is working well for $249.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252782685420?

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,666 of 14,566
My rescue plan, of course, would be a CD transports and a hundred pounds or so of discs.  There are only two problems with this rescue.  The first is that even if I wanted to (barf) we do not make a transport.  The second is the problem of whatever discs we pick, there is going to be somebody wandering in only to request some audiophile recording of dubious musical value.  This is not to mention some audio progressive will show up proudly trumpeting the fact that he has solved all content problems with his terabyte server which has 400 million minutes of pirated content on board.
The best fix for an environment like the Schiitr would be a Wyrd driving the USB input only stuff as well as a Bomb-ass USB isolator and S/PDIF converter for the converters with a proper set of inputs.

Mmh..! That sounds like many a schitthead's wet daydream. A very appealing compromise to the extensive cd library solution or the 761 years of non stop pirate material. Although you could just make us bring our own freaky CDs.

Is it correctly understood that you are talking about adding an extra box (the BAUIaSC - Bomb-ass USB isolator and S/PDIF converter) between the Wyrd and a DAC. Which eventually could pile up into: Wyrd > BAUIaSC > MPgadget > DAC > Amp(s).

What is the design philosophy behind not including such a WYRD/BAUIaSC card inside the dacs. Is it price and/or space or is there other reasons.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #2,667 of 14,566
Mmh..! That sounds like many a schitthead's wet daydream. A very appealing compromise to the extensive cd library solution or the 761 years of non stop pirate material. Although you could just make us bring our own freaky CDs.

Is it correctly understood that you are talking about adding an extra box (the BAUIaSC - Bomb-ass USB isolator and S/PDIF converter) between the Wyrd and a DAC. Which eventually could pile up into: Wyrd > BAUIaSC > MPgadget > DAC > Amp(s).

What is the design philosophy behind not including such a WYRD/BAUIaSC card inside the dacs. Is it price and/or space or is there other reasons.

Same question. Why isnt the Eitr inside the Yggy for example?

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,668 of 14,566

For one thing, some people are happy with the sources/connection methods they have and they would be paying for extra circuitry that they don't need. For example, I found that the microRendu+LPS-1 combos I use for my Bimby and Yggy sound as well or better than previous setups with well-regarded USB>S/PDIF converters. Nevertheless, when the Eitr comes out, I'll see if it fits my use cases and likely get it, I never regretted any Schiit purchase.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,669 of 14,566
Same question. Why isnt the Eitr inside the Yggy for example?

For another, the Eitr postdates the Yggy by two years... If I've had any success in reading in-between the lines of @Baldr's teasing posts, it's a new design inspired by the electrical properties of Ethernet-based transports, not just another XMOS-based USB-jiggery-poker but this time in a Schiit-y box.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,670 of 14,566
My $0.02 from back then.

Cassette wasn't for fidelity, and it didn't have to involve re-buying music. We listened to vinyl at home. We ripped our albums to cassette so we could play them in our cars. The blank cassette cost was negligible, with Maxell, TDK, and BASF slugging it out. The home cassette decks we liked were Nakamichi, Tandberg, and the Advent 201. We thought we were making good copies, but they really only sounded good played back on the same machine they were recorded on. The vinyl still sounded better, but it was sure fun to have the albums in the car.

IMO based on my FM (fractured memory)

You're kicking up memories ... I had an Advent 201, and a Nakamichi 700 (?). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back