What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 13, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,341 of 14,566
  So how do I configure it? The above parameters can be adjusted; when one adjusts them there is a clear sweet spot, but there are tweener spots that sound worse than ass. Do I make it fixed? Do I make it adjustable? Do I make it auto adjustable? If it is fixed, I run a risk of overlooking a few recordings. If it is adjustable, users can adjust it very badly. In fact, when badly adjusted you could use it as a device to get rid of unwelcome company. Steady use could be useful to send bad roommates packing – I digress. If it auto-adjusts, this is where I run into the issue of computer power and memory – further the problem of how many samples the device needs to decide how to adjust or when to give up and light the BuyBetterMusic Laser. For the sake of proper music, that light should be so bright as to cause sunburn.

As far as to the paragraph above, this is what is in front of me. What I listen to as we speak are a Bach mass with my fixed MP. I am trying to listen to as many different types of music as possible as sample inputs; normally baroque is far from my fave – the MP helps that out quite a bit.

Welp, I can't see a better reason than for me to build a separate PC, water cooled Ryzen 1800x with dual 1080 Ti SLI, just for the Gadget! Wait, so are we calling it the MP or the Gadget now?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,342 of 14,566
  What I listen to as we speak are a Bach mass with my fixed MP. I am trying to listen to as many different types of music as possible as sample inputs; normally baroque is far from my fave – the MP helps that out quite a bit.

I think the obvious question is what does the Bach aficionado think when they listen to what you are listening to? Do they initially hate it, like it, or love it? What about 20 minutes in?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #2,343 of 14,566

Welp, I can't see a better reason than for me to build a separate PC, water cooled Ryzen 1800x with dual 1080 Ti SLI, just for the Gadget! Wait, so are we calling it the MP or the Gadget now?

I suggest you read about the original "Manhatten Project": you will discover the meanings. These are just project nicknames used by Mike, not the eventual product name.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #2,347 of 14,566
Jomby - The Multibit DAC board for Jotunheim w. AES/EBU input

PC -> MP -> JOMBY

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,348 of 14,566
  How much computer power? For what? Let's bring the MP (The Gadget) to March, 2017 after a brief prelude:

I know I am cagey and only giving of hints with respect to what it is and exactly why I am now devoting almost all my time to The Gadget. The hints and the cageyness are the no reveal until the product credo; the reasons for which I spend my time are several. My last series of projects has been to make multibit widely available to suit a range of pocketbooks. In fact, almost all of those have been released.

So this leads to the question of what this dog does when he catches the multibit car. The Gadget, of course. Since it varies parameters both in the frequency and the time domains utilizing DSP, there is a fundamental, underlying milestone which needs to be absolutely dealt with. There are a number of DSP products which deal with a number of applications, such as, equalization, karaoke, sound effects. What most, if not all of these these applications all have in common is a tendency to sound like ass. Something you could listen to at a Hockey game or proper to someone drunkenly singing, but don't try it at home.

Which brings us to March 2017. We have a version of the Gadget which allows us to vary the time and frequency parameters which does NOT sound like ass. This in itself has been taken months, but I can shout to the skies that it cannot be heard. So there it is – that is what we have: an engine that I am happy with. The first fundamental, underlying milestone is done.

So how do I configure it? The above parameters can be adjusted; when one adjusts them there is a clear sweet spot, but there are tweener spots that sound worse than ass. Do I make it fixed? Do I make it adjustable? Do I make it auto adjustable? If it is fixed, I run a risk of overlooking a few recordings. If it is adjustable, users can adjust it very badly. In fact, when badly adjusted you could use it as a device to get rid of unwelcome company. Steady use could be useful to send bad roommates packing – I digress. If it auto-adjusts, this is where I run into the issue of computer power and memory – further the problem of how many samples the device needs to decide how to adjust or when to give up and light the BuyBetterMusic Laser. For the sake of proper music, that light should be so bright as to cause sunburn.

As far as to the paragraph above, this is what is in front of me. What I listen to as we speak are a Bach mass with my fixed MP. I am trying to listen to as many different types of music as possible as sample inputs; normally baroque is far from my fave – the MP helps that out quite a bit.

See your point.  The answer is "all of the above."

The sequence would be, fixed first (cheapest).   When purest b____, offer manual adjustable.   When the lazy carp, "too much trouble", offer high end auto adjusting.

Uh Oh, now I'm likely to end up with all three.

best wishes

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,349 of 14,566
[COLOR=000000]Which brings us to March 2017. We have a version of the Gadget which allows us to vary the time and frequency parameters which does NOT sound like ass. This in itself has been taken months, but I can shout to the skies that it cannot be heard. So there it is – that is what we have: an engine that I am happy with. The first fundamental, underlying milestone is done.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]So how do I configure it? The above parameters can be adjusted; when one adjusts them there is a clear sweet spot, but there are tweener spots that sound worse than ass. Do I make it fixed? Do I make it adjustable? Do I make it auto adjustable? If it is fixed, I run a risk of overlooking a few recordings. If it is adjustable, users can adjust it very badly. In fact, when badly adjusted you could use it as a device to get rid of unwelcome company. Steady use could be useful to send bad roommates packing – I digress. If it auto-adjusts, this is where I run into the issue of computer power and memory – further the problem of how many samples the device needs to decide how to adjust or when to give up and light the BuyBetterMusic Laser. For the sake of proper music, that light should be so bright as to cause sunburn.
This sounds(sic) fantastic, and yes, I can see how in the wrong hands the gadget can become a monstrosity. Given your disdain for Autotune and Melodyne, I sincerely hope that the acoustic improvements that MP aim for don't include pitch modulation of any form.

It would be a sad, sad day when DSP attempts to "improve" a recording to make it sound "more in tune" because an algorithm thinks it can do better than artists who have spent tens of thousands of hours on their craft..

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,350 of 14,566

The original Manhattan Project produced a device known only as The Gadget.  So it works so far in Mike's usage.

I'm waiting to find out which show then gets known as Trinity Site.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,351 of 14,566

He could be referring to a new DAC that sits above Yiggy in the lineup?

Something in my bones tells me an upgrade is coming down the pike for Yiggy. This and a Schiit device that takes the guess work and distrust out of the PC>DAC connection are the highest items on my Schiitlist. No offense to The Gadget.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,352 of 14,566
He could be referring to a new DAC that sits above Yiggy in the lineup?

Something in my bones tells me an upgrade is coming down the pike for Yiggy. This and a Schiit device that takes the guess work and distrust out of the PC>DAC connection are the highest items on my Schiitlist. No offense to The Gadget.

Could be anything.
Maybe a balanced Multibit below Gumby

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,353 of 14,566
Could be anything.
Maybe a balanced Multibit below Gumby

My guess would be a single ended Multibit Bifrost upgrade using two AD5781Bruz Chips with op amp analog stage. This would give 18 bit resolution, unlike Gumby's 19 bits. It would also lose Gumby's discrete analog stage and balanced outputs.

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #2,354 of 14,566
My guess would be a single ended Multibit Bifrost upgrade using two AD5781Bruz Chips with op amp analog stage. This would give 18 bit resolution, unlike Gumby's 19 bits. It would also lose Gumby's discrete analog stage and balanced outputs.

That would also help further differentiate the current Bifrost Multibit from the Mimby.  Giving additional separation in the Schiit lineup.

I like it...

L3000.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,355 of 14,566
Perhaps adjustable over a limited range, or with fixed presets, with an "ASS" light to warn the user that they have moved the dial beyond suggested safe values?

​Sounds very much to me like you are on the verge of a significant breakthrough, and perhaps also on the verge of realization that this is not a product for the masses.  One of my jobs in the early 70's electronics industry was working for ARP Instruments, a pioneering synthesizer company, whose devices produced ass-like sounds far more readily than pleasing ones.  In fact one almost needed to be an engineer to properly set up the 2500. or even the portable and easier to use Odyssey.  It's part of the reason why Moog kicked OUR ass, and why ARP did not last long - the products were great but not usable by the masses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back