What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,516 of 14,565
  So here I am listening to an early stereo version of "La Boheme" as I write (a CD, no less – I like 'em!) writing about stuff I don't completely understand. The only way through that which is not understood is to observe the situation in the context of what I do understand, form a hypothesis, study, build something as an experiment, observe, and get real world data.

What I do not understand is why so many are getting wet listening to ethernet connected sources.

I use an Ethernet connected system for a coupla reasons.

All my CDs are ripped.  "Perfect sound forever" is BS because I have at least 2 that are no longer playable due to disk rot and I only have a few hundred.  Plus scratching, plus kids.

I ripped all my CDs so I can play them on the Sonos everywhere in the house.  Love, love, love having the same music playing in sync wherever I am in the house.

Then I discovered MinimServer.  Yeah, it's UPNP (or DLNA, which is which?).  But I can configure it to read extra metadata from my music files.  I could navigate via mood, tempo, or whatever I want.  I do use it to navigate by composition, composer, artist, main instrument,  ensemble.  For this reason I put up with Ethernet.

When I feel like listening to Concerto de Aranjuez (love guitar) I can pull up either of the 2 versions I have and play just the one work, instead of everything that came on the CD.  Or anything by Tchaikovsky etc.

Roon is not quite there for classical.

I use a SoTM SMS-200 which works well and sounds good to my defective ears.  I wish it were AES/BNC instead of USB but my Uberfrost is happy either way.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,518 of 14,565

I love my ethernet sources.  But one thing I wasn't aware of is that it is possible to get hum on an ethernet cable.  

Archimago has a couple graphs here and here where it shows up (pictures below):

Now, granted, we're talking about stuff that is -110dB to -120dB, so, yeah waaaaaaay below the noise floor.  An objective point of view would say not to worry about it.

But...if we're being perfectionist, galvanic isolation is cheap to add to an ethernet-connected source and let's one tick a few perfectionist / audiophilia nervosa boxes.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,519 of 14,565
  I use an Ethernet connected system for a coupla reasons.

All my CDs are ripped.  "Perfect sound forever" is BS because I have at least 2 that are no longer playable due to disk rot and I only have a few hundred.  Plus scratching, plus kids.

I ripped all my CDs so I can play them on the Sonos everywhere in the house.  Love, love, love having the same music playing in sync wherever I am in the house.

Then I discovered MinimServer.  Yeah, it's UPNP (or DLNA, which is which?).  But I can configure it to read extra metadata from my music files.  I could navigate via mood, tempo, or whatever I want.  I do use it to navigate by composition, composer, artist, main instrument,  ensemble.  For this reason I put up with Ethernet.

When I feel like listening to Concerto de Aranjuez (love guitar) I can pull up either of the 2 versions I have and play just the one work, instead of everything that came on the CD.  Or anything by Tchaikovsky etc.

Roon is not quite there for classical.

I use a SoTM SMS-200 which works well and sounds good to my defective ears.  I wish it were AES/BNC instead of USB but my Uberfrost is happy either way.

Gotcha – what I was addressing in my previous post was inherent sonic advantages of ethernet as a transmission medium. My initial hypothesis was isolation as an advantage, and my recent experiments dealt with "isolated transmission lines" only.

There are a variety of other competent manufacturers who in their own hardware and software arenas provide parts of servers, end points, UIs, and other sundry components of a music distribution system. Some, such as SOTM, integrate the whole chingadera into one box. Let them continue to do so without any interference from us. I prefer trips to oral surgeons over that sort of design.

All I really want to do is make our Schiit perform and sound better. Unfortunately, there are no simple solutions as putting an ethernet connector on our converters to automagically extract audio. An entire network in support of such a goal is required, and an addition of and endpoint (read computer – Raspberry Pi as a minimum) to interface the network to ours or anyone else's converter.

Oh, and the problem of supporting the whole mess. Firewalls? Addresses? Screw that. It would just force us to do what we hate and raise the price of what we do the most efficiently. Nope – networks are definitely not for us.

Ah, but isolated interfaces may well be in our future.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #1,521 of 14,565
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

What I do not understand is why so many are getting wet listening to ethernet connected sources. I believe the reports, mind you. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Now one of my proven observations is that I am a circuit minimalist, wherever possible. The fewer the parts, the better, as long as no parameters such as noise, bandwidth, distortion, etc., are compromised. So why TF do I want to run my audio through a nasty hardware and software ethernet conversion and de-conversion and expect it to be better? Huh? So What is so good about ethernet anyway?

Yup, Isolation. Real, honest to God isolation for free in the ethernet connected world. Not trivial. All right, the hypothesis is that isolated is the desirable aspect of Ethernet. Isolation has been available in S/PDIF since its inception. Wait a minute, aren't there isolators available for connectivity over USB? A quick look on the market reveals that there are. The problem current direct isolation practice (as opposed to indirect, as practiced in eithernet) is that it slow as well as quite capacitive and therefore sounds like ass. Arguably less like ass than barefoot USB, but who wants to settle for any form of "less than".
snip

I can only speak for myself on this, and might I add, I also agree with the minimalist approach which AOIP would seem to violate by adding extra steps in the middle of handing off the digital audio stream, which just adds to the degree of consternation due to the observed SQ improvements.

And what adds even more consternation is the observed improvement of yet further enhancement while using multiple re-clockers, in series, (at 1K$ a pop).
This makes no sense, which tells me we're missing something, something fundamentally significant.
And that this approach (several re-clockers in series) has been demonstrated in mutliple types of digital audio streams (USB, SPDIF, AES) further tells me its not the transport method per se but something inherent in the transmission of digital data to begin with.
Perhaps it's galvanic isolation, or it plays a role, one of perhaps several.
Another might be the separation of the timing info from the data itself, or some such relationship.
These are but speculations, but they are obvious differences between ethernet and the other transport methods.

From the experiences we are gaining using Dante and suitable h/w (RedNet and unDaes-0 (uD0)) the increase in inner details and focus is quite remarkable.

AND this use of ethernet allows us to use AES to feed the dac, which as you mentioned is 'better' than SPDIF and certainly USB.
And since SPDIF certainly is the step child of AES, which may account (at least in part) for part of the reason for AES's superior performance.
I mention this because these subtle yet distinct differences are easy to determine while using this AOIP approach.

As to "What is so good about ethernet anyway?" in my system (and others as well) it surpasses anything I have tried previously in terms of SQ in every way that I have come to describe and define and desire.

If I were to sum it all up it would be the inner detail and degree of focus has taken a mother may I step up in SQ.
It has acted as a catalyst and has led many of us to reach new levels of REALNESS in not just the SQ but also the soundstage itself as it has become much more delineated and focused as well.

For example being able to easily differentiate between the lead vocal and the back up/ground singers (Paul Simon and the Everly Brothers, comes to mind) is but one notable improvement I have noticed, another is being able to hear the tuba player's lips flap (and recognize it as such) in the mouth piece is another notable improvement, among many others.

It seems to me that AOIP delivers data with better 'timing' such that during reconstruction, the dac is able to do a better job of assigning the acoustic energy where it's supposed to be.
Thus the REALNESS factor comes into much better focus.

As others have stated, and I concur, in order to grasp the full measure of the changes AOIP can make, it really needs to be experienced directly and over time, in a well setup and dialed in system.

And we are talking about subtle changes that can all to easily be swamped out by other portions of the system that can 'get in the way' so to speak.
Like having a cart out of alignment, where it doesn't matter how good the rest of the system is, that is the Choke Point that limits the entire system.

And I can see where Schiit wouldn't want to jump into the middle of all of this added ethernet complexity.
However, if I2S were an input to the Jggy for example it might provide an upstep in SQ, via AES, from a suitable AOIP data stream.
That is if I2S is even an option for the MB dac engines.

Just a thought.

JJ

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,522 of 14,565
With Ethernet. Physical Medium is half the battle, There is also the protocol used TCP/IP which by nature adds multiple layers over the data which by nature will drop and resend packets and by default increase latency. These packets are also not received in a serial manner either. All of this can increase latency. This is where the Hardware and software comes into play. This is not a flaw but the way it was designed and the reason we can have massive networks because the added tolerance to TX issues over distances is its strength.The question that I come up with is does the extra layers of encapsulation add or take away from the SQ? Sure its Just 1's and 0's but we know clocks and timing matter with audio.Or is this mitigated once it is processed? For most of us Ethernet is convenient because its common and parts for home use are cheap but not exactly the best hardware implementations. In pro audio it seems there are some very good products out there but they are not exactly on the "budget" end of the spectrum. I suspect like in my world most of that cost is the quality of hardware and the software thats implemented to make it possible. I agree with Mike It is Possible but trying to build an end to end solution networking solution may not be an ideal use of time. There seems to others out there who focus on that and based on some of the posts here seems to be doing a very good job at it. 

I work on the other Side of the Networking world Which is storage networking which uses a much simpler serial protocol (SCSI 3) which is intolerant to packet drops and latency which lends to very accurate and fast data transmission.The downside being everything must be localized This is to expensive for most to have in homes However it seems to be similar to I2S.  There has been many attempt to use. Ethernet for storage Applications with mixed success. The processing power needed to make one protocol act like another is not cheap at the end of the day. The  advancements of anything that has been remotely successful are using software that lives on both side Source and target and best executed with isolated networks, Thus emulating a traditional Storage Network, the expense can be the Limiting factor. The Isolated network becomes key because all the other data traversing your network will cause pains of latency and retransmits and I wonder if on the audio end adds jitter or other artifacts that are of no concern in the computing world but are a concern in the audio world.

Forgive my Rambling on the matter but working in this field for sometime it is what I relate to and understand why imho separate networks are ideal. The prospect of Something that Will Allow you to (bridge) networks but keep their traffic isolated seems interesting and makes sense. A Raspberry Pi can easily access Your NAS/USB and Possibly SATA Device . Using already made software to process data and readily pass an I2S Signal to something like a Digi+. Hell The Bryston BDPi uses this setup with some mods. JohnJens Comment about I2S is interesting though. I have not done much research but on the matter but Taking the I2S signal from something readily available and inexpensive like a Rasp Pi and being able to output it directly to an interface on your DAC seems to take some steps out of the data path and uses standards that have been around for some time now, It seems that clock and audio travel independent of each other when using I2S which in my mind means no competing data stream, does that mean less Jitter? Also Is I2S used in the schiit dacs? If so is there advantages to bypassing SPDIF or USB all together? I am severely Oversimplifying this adding but a GPIO Header for a raspi that  Plugs into a Schiit DAC (if they use I2S) Seems very close to Ideal. 

Enough Of My ramblings. This is interesting, I am curious of what Mike is working on here and clearly it has gotten my mind into high gear even while on Vacation.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,523 of 14,565
Ethernet is what I use to get information from my music server to my receiver, because it is a great transmission medium for digital data.  Does it sound better than direct connection to a transport?  Hell no.  Does it sound better than USB directly from the server?  Hell no.  But it sure is convenient, and the output from my receiver feeds my Schiit just fine.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,524 of 14,565

The Ethernet interface normally does utize a transformer, which does provide the desired galvanic isolation.  

It should be, but look at Archimago's hum graph.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,525 of 14,565

Using already made software to process data and readily pass an I2S Signal to something like a Digi+. Hell The Bryston BDPi uses this setup with some mods. JohnJens Comment about I2S is interesting though. I have not done much research but on the matter but Taking the I2S signal from something readily available and inexpensive like a Rasp Pi and being able to output it directly to an interface on your DAC seems to take some steps out of the data path and uses standards that have been around for some time now, It seems that clock and audio travel independent of each other when using I2S which in my mind means no competing data stream, does that mean less Jitter? Also Is I2S used in the schiit dacs? If so is there advantages to bypassing SPDIF or USB all together? I am severely Oversimplifying this adding but a GPIO Header for a raspi that  Plugs into a Schiit DAC (if they use I2S) Seems very close to Ideal. 

Enough Of My ramblings. This is interesting, I am curious of what Mike is working on here and clearly it has gotten my mind into high gear even while on Vacation.

I use a Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, which includes the upgraded output transformer and dual oscillator sets for the clock.  It's straight I2S->S/PDIF.

As for jitter, I haven't seen specs for Digi+ Pro.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,526 of 14,565
  Ethernet is what I use to get information from my music server to my receiver, because it is a great transmission medium for digital data.  Does it sound better than direct connection to a transport?  Hell no.  Does it sound better than USB directly from the server?  Hell no.  But it sure is convenient, and the output from my receiver feeds my Schiit just fine.

I agree. Ethernet is convenient and does a very good job of getting Data from point a to b and enable us to do things that 10 to 15 years ago was unthinkable. I use it, and USB and SPDIF.  Where I was going with all of that rambling is there seems to be a lot in the way of software and mini computers like the Rasp pi that utilize storage source via network and usb to get the data into the computer process it and readily outputs I2S. If there is a Possibility to Skip USB and even By Pass SPDIF utilizing HW and SW and a protocol that's already been built and is relatively cheap, it seems there could be another option for getting data into your DAC which simplifies the Data Path and possibly sound as good as a direct connect to your transport. Again I was oversimplifying. Yes New Input boards on your Schiit Dac and some kind of header or hat on the Rasp Pi and the other things I am not thinking about. Just Random thoughts Not Knocking one or the other.

Edit
Quote:

I use a Raspberry Pi + HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro, which includes the upgraded output transformer and dual oscillator sets for the clock.  It's straight I2S->S/PDIF.

As for jitter, I haven't seen specs for Digi+ Pro.

I use a Rasp Pi Digi+ Coax to my Bimby.it was a Noticeable Improvement, For about $125 Including a crappy little case. The Laptop and USB got moved out Quickly. This is why I can see possibilities here.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,527 of 14,565
The problem with using networking protocols for transporting music is a computer is required at both ends, running software that will do the encode/decode process, as well as specialized hardware to handle the I/O, etc.  None of this is the business Schiit wants to be in, if I am reading Baldr correctly.  Besides, there are plenty of options out there already, as have been mentioned.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,528 of 14,565
It seems my ramblings may have clouded my point. Yes I agree Albeza, It seems Baldr wants No part of Data Networking. I am not suggesting that be the route  Yes Hardware and Software Needed to encode and decode on both ends. No need to get into that as its a different realm. I am only pointing out there are readily available and cheap solution that handles the networking and data encoding/Decoding and side that will readily Output a Data Signal that is readily available from these sources as I2S and that may be something to look at.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,529 of 14,565
I2S has already been dismissed by Schiit as an I/O methodology because there are no standards on how to use it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,530 of 14,565
IMO implementing Ethernet interfaces into DACs kinda defeats the KISS principle largely employed by Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back