Wet Shaving
Aug 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #227 of 277
My shaving gear...
tongue.gif

I have a rig (brush, soap, razor and blades) at my parents place. But apart from that one this should be everything.

Looks like I am well equipped for years to come. He he

63055546.jpg

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #231 of 277
Mmmm... I'm shaving tomorrow morning with a new Derby blade.... mmmmm....
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #232 of 277
It's odd how pleasurable DE shaving is, compared to the modern
Mach!Turbo!Blam!Fusion stuff....

Partly the ritual I think. Makes for a pleasing & resonant start to the day. Bit like making tea properly...

And partly because the results are so satisfying!

Now where did I put those Feathers....?

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #233 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's odd how pleasurable DE shaving is, compared to the modern
Mach!Turbo!Blam!Fusion stuff....

Partly the ritual I think. Makes for a pleasing & resonant start to the day. Bit like making tea properly...

And partly because the results are so satisfying!

Now where did I put those Feathers....?

I agree, I was actually looking forward to my shave today!

On another note...I bought some Col. Ichabod Conk's World Famous Shave Soap, Amber and it was too small for my shaving mug so I decided to nuke it the microwave! It just took about 20 seconds or so on high. I did 10 seconds at a time. It barely filled the mug, so I ended up microwaving two more of the packages and it worked out great.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #234 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I mentioned a member from the B & B website is sending me a few blades to try out. I think one is a feather. Yeah I hear that they're very sharp so I'll be careful. I'll probably order a sample pack as well to try some other blades out.

I hope you went ahead and got the sampler pack. While the razor has a big impact on the qualitiy of the shave, I think the blades are the most important. IMHO the importance of the equipment is blade>razor>cream/soap>brush

It really is true that blade preference is VERY subjective. Lots of folks love the Derby's (just a few posts back even). I hate them. I ordered that sampler pack, and while I haven't been through all of them, I've already decided I don't like the Derby's. I ordered most of my kit from a guy on B&B and it came with some Derby's. They work OK when they are new, but I can't get more then a couple shaves from them before they cause irritation.

I still have several varieties to try out, so I haven't decided which is my favorite. See below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh hey! this thread is back... you guys might find this interesting. I've been using the same dorco blade since May 1st and I'm still waiting for it to get dull. It hasn't even been taken out of my DE yet it's not rusted or dull, I still get BBS results (1 ATG pass). I did this test to see if I changed my blades too often (every week) and I've come to the conclusion that I definitely have been!

I've had the same Gillette blade in my Merkur for a few months now. Now I have to say that I don't shave daily. I shave on most Monday's since I rarely shave on weekends and usually one other day during the week. So for a daily shaver this would be the equivalent of a few weeks or more. I suspect I have ~30 shaves on that blade by now. I was swapping them out every week when I started using the SE razor, but I agree with you that it may have been too often. I think you should only change them when they no longer function acceptably.

I used the old Gillette blade this morning, and I nicked myself a couple times, but I was also experimenting with shaving while in the shower. I used to always shave in the shower using cartridges, but I haven't felt comfortable shaving by touch with the SE razor. It actually works out very well. The steam keeps the beard soft, and I got a very good shave with just 2 ATG passes and a tiny bit of touch up around the chin. I think you actually get a better shave doing it by touch rather then sight.

I'm actually looking forward to trying out some of the other blades in my sampler pack. I had been following the suggested order from West Coast Sahving, but maybe I'll just skip to the end and try the feathers.
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #235 of 277
3962792149_6cc0e35e9f_o.jpg

I have mid to light growth with pretty sensitive skin. I'm missing the Proraso™ wheatgerm shave cream.
I'm loving the Merkur Futur but their travel shaver is leaving me bloody and familiar with the true meaning of razor burn.
frown.gif

I avoid after shave and usually just finish off with a good dollop of moisturizer.
I'm still looking for a good male moisturizer that doesn't have loads of perfume and isn't greasy.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #237 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IceClass, I use Baxter of California moisturizer for an after shave with great results.
It should work well for you as it sounds like your skin type is similar to mine. You can find here :Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturizer

Thanks for the tip and the link but when I went to order some it turns out they're out of stock.
frown.gif
confused_face.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #239 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke
maybe I'll just skip to the end and try the feathers.

I did that with my sampler pack and ended up with a pretty red neck and chin
tongue.gif

I haven't been using the DE razor lately again, I'll have to start making my way through the rest of the sampler pack and using the DE razor again, maybe once uni has finished for the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back