Westone W80
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #706 of 1,446
I had the IE800s as well and I really loved them. I cannot really answer that question right now. If you give me a day or two, I probably can get back to you but you seem to be in a rush :slight_frown:

Not the ALO. I'm using the regular one.
Yeah, they say they will ship out by end of this weekend. ppl say if you use the ALO cable, it will be more clear. Thank you so much for the info! if you can compare it with ie800 that will be really appreciate.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #707 of 1,446
The sound staging on the W80 is brilliant (one of the best IEMs at casting a wide and deep mental image), but sorry, I don't listen to opera or musicals much.
Great! Thank you so much for you info. I like the sound stage and image. Plus, do you think the sound realistic? When I listen to some other cheap IEMs, if there is no comparison, they are ok. but when I come back to ie800. I found the voice sound so real on ie800. Does W80 have the same realistic sound? Thank you

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #708 of 1,446
Great! Thank you so much for you info. I like the sound stage and image. Plus, do you think the sound realistic? When I listen to some other cheap IEMs, if there is no comparison, they are ok. but when I come back to ie800. I found the voice sound so real on ie800. Does W80 have the same realistic sound? Thank you

They are somewhat similarly voiced, but it has been awhile since I've heard the IE800, sorry.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #709 of 1,446
They are somewhat similarly voiced, but it has been awhile since I've heard the IE800, sorry.
Thank you! how do you compare it to ER4SR and Andromeda? Thanks!

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #711 of 1,446
Sorry, I haven't heard the Andromeda and the ER-4S/P were a bit too bright and bass-lite for my tastes.
Thank you for your response. I have ER4SR but I can't listen to it for a long time. Originally I was choosing between W80 and Andromeda but I have no chance to audition them.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #712 of 1,446
Thank you for your response. I have ER4SR but I can't listen to it for a long time. Originally I was choosing between W80 and Andromeda but I have no chance to audition them.

When you read about someone else being overwhelmed or underwhelmed with certain IEMs, in many cases people are talking about their sound preference relative to other iems they are used to. Just from my personal experience, I had a chance to test/review a lot of flagship iems, and I honestly never came across one that was bad. When it comes to flagships, every manufacturer brings out their a-game. But not every a-game is everyone's cup of tea. We all have different sound preference, listen to different music genres, pair up with different sources, have different hearing sensitivity etc.

I'm looking at your sig and see K3003i and FX750. Is one better or worse than the other? How about EL8C vs P7? All different sig, each one good at their game with different sources, different music genres, and even different cables that can give you a subtle fine-tuning. I never heard IE800, but many refer to this ultra-wide bandwidth DD as having a very obvious v-shaped signature with a lifted bass and more energy in upper mids/lower treble. If you are used to that sound, switching to W80 will give you an ear shock due to a warmer, smoother, more laidback and less revealing signature relative to IE800, while some other people going from W80 sound will find IE800 bass having too much impact and treble being too shrill and crisp (I looked up IE800 FR curve). Is either of them good or bad? Not really, just a different signature and a different tuning targeted at different people.

@MacedonianHero gave @hstubc a good advice, give it some time for your brain to adjust to a new sound, especially without constantly going back'n'forth between two pairs of IEMs with a different sound sig. I don't have UERM, only UERR, and it's in a different ballpark, a different signature.

It's up to you if you want to cancel the order, but only your ears, not someone else's, will tell you if you will like it or not. Reviews and impressions give you some guidance of what to expect, but you will be the final judge. That's why those who are in doubt, for example, can attend CanJam London where Westone will be showcasing all their iems, so you can take a listen. If you don't have access to these audio shows, as long as you can buy and return it back (if you don't like it), that's the only true way to find out if they are good for you :wink:

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #713 of 1,446
When you read about someone else being overwhelmed or underwhelmed with certain IEMs, in many cases people are talking about their sound preference relative to other iems they are used to. Just from my personal experience, I had a chance to test/review a lot of flagship iems, and I honestly never came across one that was bad. When it comes to flagships, every manufacturer brings out their a-game. But not every a-game is everyone's cup of tea. We all have different sound preference, listen to different music genres, pair up with different sources, have different hearing sensitivity etc.

I'm looking at your sig and see K3003i and FX750. Is one better or worse than the other? How about EL8C vs P7? All different sig, each one good at their game with different sources, different music genres, and even different cables that can give you a subtle fine-tuning. I never heard IE800, but many refer to this ultra-wide bandwidth DD as having a very obvious v-shaped signature with a lifted bass and more energy in upper mids/lower treble. If you are used to that sound, switching to W80 will give you an ear shock due to a warmer, smoother, more laidback and less revealing signature relative to IE800, while some other people going from W80 sound will find IE800 bass having too much impact and treble being too shrill and crisp (I looked up IE800 FR curve). Is either of them good or bad? Not really, just a different signature and a different tuning targeted at different people.

@MacedonianHero gave @hstubc a good advice, give it some time for your brain to adjust to a new sound, especially without constantly going back'n'forth between two pairs of IEMs with a different sound sig. I don't have UERM, only UERR, and it's in a different ballpark, a different signature.

It's up to you if you want to cancel the order, but only your ears, not someone else's, will tell you if you will like it or not. Reviews and impressions give you some guidance of what to expect, but you will be the final judge. That's why those who are in doubt, for example, can attend CanJam London where Westone will be showcasing all their iems, so you can take a listen. If you don't have access to these audio shows, as long as you can buy and return it back (if you don't like it), that's the only true way to find out if they are good for you :wink:

Hi, thank you twister6 for the suggestion and it really does make a lot of sense to me. True, there is no good and bad. I really don't have any experience on any Westone earphones. I do see some youtube reviews complaining about w80 but I won't cancel the order based on their reviews as they don't sound professional enough. They may, like you said, based on their sound preference to make the judge. I guess I really don't have any sound preference as long as the sound sounds real to me. :) (I recently bought a HD700 and sometimes I really can't tell whether the sound is coming from the headphone or outside, but hd700 is too big, openback too thus I can not make it as a portable use or even use it in the office so I decide to find a flagship iem)

Thank you again for your advice

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #714 of 1,446
I had the IE800s as well and I really loved them. I cannot really answer that question right now. If you give me a day or two, I probably can get back to you but you seem to be in a rush :slight_frown:

Not the ALO. I'm using the regular one.
Majority of the reviews out there point to great synergies when using these with the ALO cable. I for one cannot wait to audition the W80s in a weeks time. The haunting dilemma for me is W80 v ES80...Members with the ES80s, please share more impressions/comparisons.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #715 of 1,446
Thank you. I only have a ie800 as a "high end" iem, and I really like them. I listen to opera, musicals and movie soundtracks. Do you think W80 is a good choice for it? Thanks

They are very different. IE800 is bright and more extended in the highs. W80 are warmer and much more musical with better vocals, resolution and detailed at the same time. Take your time for your brain to adjust to w80. If I had to choose one, w80 hands down as a whole package (comfort, fit, accessories)

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #716 of 1,446
Majority of the reviews out there point to great synergies when using these with the ALO cable. I for one cannot wait to audition the W80s in a weeks time. The haunting dilemma for me is W80 v ES80...Members with the ES80s, please share more impressions/comparisons.

ALO cable is great, and has a fantastic pair up synergy with W80/ES80, but truth to be told, it's not the most ergonomic when it comes to comfort since it's a little springy and has microphonics - helps when you use a shirt clip (you can get it for a buck on ebay).

With ES80 vs W80, I have one more review to finish before I switch to ES80, but here is some of the notes I collected, comparing ES to W, using PAW Gold as a source, both IEMs volume matched, using ALO Ref8 stock cable.

westone_es80-03x.jpg

Soundstage: ES80 is a touch wider in comparison to W80, while staging depth is the same.

Sound sig: ES80 is more neutral, revealing, while W80 is more balanced, smoother.

Sound analysis: ES80 and W80 have a similar sub-bass extension, though W80 has more rumble while ES80 is more neutral. With mid-bass, W80 has more impact and bass is a little thicker, warmer, while ES80 has less impact (still north of neutral) but bass is leaner, a little faster and more articulate, and with more control and better separation from lower mids. Lower mids are more neutral in ES80 while a little warmer and thicker in W80, giving W80 sound a little more organic body. Upper mids, especially in the area of vocals, are smoother, more organic in W80, while ES80 is more revealing, more transparent, with improved layering and separation, and being a little more upfront since neutral lower mids give upper mids more room to shine. Treble is very similar, with the same level of sparkle and airiness, similar extension and overall definition.

If I would to summarize the main differences, ES80 is more neutral, more revealing, more transparent, while W80 is more balanced, with better low end rumble and mid-bass impact, and also smoother and more organic tonality.

Keep in mind, both ES80 and W80 use the same drivers, just tuned differently.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #717 of 1,446
They are very different. IE800 is bright and more extended in the highs. W80 are warmer and much more musical with better vocals, resolution and detailed at the same time. Take your time for your brain to adjust to w80. If I had to choose one, w80 hands down as a whole package (comfort, fit, accessories)
Great! Thank you for your reply. Sounds pretty good! Cant wait then.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #719 of 1,446
I wanted to post here that I'm selling mine. Three weeks new. Details are in my signature.
Sure what is your input to this earphone within the 3 weeks. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back