Westone W80
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #721 of 1,446
I'm not sure if understand your question. If you mean what did I play through it, mostly jazz and contemporary jazz, from Grace m920, DX90, and Mojo. I never exceeded reasonable listening levels. Let me know if you meant something else.
Sorry for the confusion. I mean how do you like w80 throughout your 3 weeks experience. :wink:

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #722 of 1,446
I'm not sure if understand your question. If you mean what did I play through it, mostly jazz and contemporary jazz, from Grace m920, DX90, and Mojo. I never exceeded reasonable listening levels. Let me know if you meant something else.
Sorry but I mean how do you like it during 3 weeks' listening time and why you decide to sell it. :)

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #724 of 1,446
For the money, I prefer the Shure SE846 or even the Westone um pro 50. It's a question of preference of sound signature.
Thank you very much. How do you describe the sound signature of w80 and comparing to 846 and UM Pro 50. Thanks

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #725 of 1,446

Makes me wonder if a brighter source would have been a better pair up for you, making W80 more revealing for your taste (just thinking in terms of your 846 reference).

See, that's where I wish there would be a universal version of ES80, giving a choice of two different sound sig tunings of the same 8 drivers, to appeal to different people with different sound preferences. But then, we got multiple dozens of flagships to compare and to choose from. Too many choices :D

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #727 of 1,446
Need some advise from people who own W80. I purchased a used unit and need some clarifications
a) The connection to ear piece - well it rotate freely like if it is loose but it is not loose or come off. In Shure SE846 the ear pieces can be turned/rotate to facilitate to achieve proper insertion to ear but still it does not rotate freely around the cable. Is this normal or part of design of W80?
b) ALO cable seems to be having some kind of damage in the stereo connector end- that is with slightest move I get distortion or only one channel working. My question is is there a a sound quality difference between ALO cable and other cable provided
c) How many face plates come with the unit. I did not get any other than Blue and Red that is already attached to the driver unit (ear Piece)

Aside from above I like the sound better than Shure SE846, K3003i (owned previously) and JH Roxxane paired with Mojo or Fiio X7 and I am waiting for QO1R

Thanks

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #728 of 1,446
Need some advise from people who own W80. I purchased a used unit and need some clarifications
a) The connection to ear piece - well it rotate freely like if it is loose but it is not loose or come off. In Shure SE846 the ear pieces can be turned/rotate to facilitate to achieve proper insertion to ear but still it does not rotate freely around the cable. Is this normal or part of design of W80?
b) ALO cable seems to be having some kind of damage in the stereo connector end- that is with slightest move I get distortion or only one channel working. My question is is there a a sound quality difference between ALO cable and other cable provided
c) How many face plates come with the unit. I did not get any other than Blue and Red that is already attached to the driver unit (ear Piece)

Aside from above I like the sound better than Shure SE846, K3003i (owned previously) and JH Roxxane paired with Mojo or Fiio X7 and I am waiting for QO1R

Thanks

a) Are you talking about Westone cable w/remote or the ALO Ref8 cable? They both will rotate, though Westone (black) cable has their new MMCX audio connector which is tighter, while ALO uses universal mmcx connector (thus a little gap) and will be not as tight.

westone_w80-34.jpg

westone_w80-39.jpg

b) ALO cable 3.5mm connector, does it look worn out or different from this?

westone_w80-35.jpg

It should fit tight. Could be something wrong with a cable you got from a seller. Btw, you mentioned you get intermittent problem with one of the earpieces. Is it always one specific side? If you switch mmcx connectors between Left/Right earpieces, does the problem stays with a connector or follows either L/R earpieces? It could be not necessary a problem with 3.5mm plug, but rather one of the mmcx connectors.

c) There are 4 sets of j-clip faceplates included with a new W80:

westone_w80-27.jpg

Makes me wonder if you can contact Westone, explain to them that you bought a 2nd hand W80, provide a S/N (should be on the box or you can find it on the nozzle of W80), and see if they can help you with faceplates or the cable.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #729 of 1,446
a) Are you talking about Westone cable w/remote or the ALO Ref8 cable? They both will rotate, though Westone (black) cable has their new MMCX audio connector which is tighter, while ALO uses universal mmcx connector (thus a little gap) and will be not as tight.

b) ALO cable 3.5mm connector, does it look worn out or different from this?

It should fit tight. Could be something wrong with a cable you got from a seller. Btw, you mentioned you get intermittent problem with one of the earpieces. Is it always one specific side? If you switch mmcx connectors between Left/Right earpieces, does the problem stays with a connector or follows either L/R earpieces? It could be not necessary a problem with 3.5mm plug, but rather one of the mmcx connectors.

a) Are you talking about Westone cable w/remote or the ALO Ref8 cable?- ALO cable and mine look like your pphoto 2

c) There are 4 sets of j-clip faceplates included with a new W80:

Makes me wonder if you can contact Westone, explain to them that you bought a 2nd hand W80, provide a S/N (should be on the box or you can find it on the nozzle of W80), and see if they can help you with faceplates or the cable.

Thanks for the quick reply

a) Are you talking about Westone cable w/remote or the ALO Ref8 cable? They both will rotate, though Westone (black) cable has their new MMCX audio connector which is tighter, while ALO uses universal mmcx connector (thus a little gap) and will be not as tight.- It looks like your second photo. It rotate someone freely but does not come off

b) ALO cable 3.5mm connector, does it look worn out or different from this? Looks like the same. If I hold the cable and the 3.5mm connector firmly with no movements allowed it work without any distortions or channel issue so the problem with the cable not the IEM itself

c) There are 4 sets of j-clip face plates included with a new W80- noted. The seller listed clips as part of the listing but did not include them so need to ask

I will try to work with seller on ALO cable as I have noted from previous comments on the thread that ALO cable sound better than normal cable

Thanks agains

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #730 of 1,446
Thanks for the quick reply

a) Are you talking about Westone cable w/remote or the ALO Ref8 cable? They both will rotate, though Westone (black) cable has their new MMCX audio connector which is tighter, while ALO uses universal mmcx connector (thus a little gap) and will be not as tight.- It looks like your second photo. It rotate someone freely but does not come off

b) ALO cable 3.5mm connector, does it look worn out or different from this? Looks like the same. If I hold the cable and the 3.5mm connector firmly with no movements allowed it work without any distortions or channel issue so the problem with the cable not the IEM itself

c) There are 4 sets of j-clip face plates included with a new W80- noted. The seller listed clips as part of the listing but did not include them so need to ask

I will try to work with seller on ALO cable as I have noted from previous comments on the thread that ALO cable sound better than normal cable

Thanks agains

In Westone cables the connector housing mold extends a little further, giving the connector an appearance of shorter profile. That's why Westone cables don't work with other mmcx connector iems (like 846 or UE900). But any universal mmcx connector cable will work with Westone iems, and ALO Ref8 has universal connector. The rotation is normal.

ALO Ref8 is a premium cable, 8 separate conductors (thus Ref8 name) with 4 pure copper and 4 silver-plated copper vs Westone typical oxygen free copper cables. I personally hear the difference and improvement, but then I'm a very strong cable believer :wink:

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #732 of 1,446
Just letting potential buyers know ... I reduced the price to $950, though I couldn't figure out if it was possible to change the price in the classified post title.
It's possible in the sliders for specific fields edition above the title.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #734 of 1,446
For the money, I prefer the Shure SE846 or even the Westone um pro 50. It's a question of preference of sound signature.

Do you still have UM Pro 50? Just thinking out loud since I saw you mentioned in W80 for sale listing that if you have to send it back to Earphone solutions, you have to pay restocking fee. It sucks to pay 15% restocking fee, so maybe they can give you store credit toward New Um Pro series release, for example, to get Updated Um Pro 50?

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #735 of 1,446
Do you still have UM Pro 50? Just thinking out loud since I saw you mentioned in W80 for sale listing that if you have to send it back to Earphone solutions, you have to pay restocking fee. It sucks to pay 15% restocking fee, so maybe they can give you store credit toward New Um Pro series release, for example, to get Updated Um Pro 50?
That's a great suggestion, though I might prefer to get a second SE846 in bronze and keep one at home and one at work.

BTW, I took your suggestion and tried the W80 with Shure tips and thought they sounded better. The bottom line for me is though, for this kind of money, if I'm not thrilled I should look for something else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back