Westone W80
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #691 of 1,446
So you are using a default gray-core silicone tip? It's an equivalent of medium eartip size with a shorter insertion depth. You are probably not making a good seal to assess the sound. Again, without you mentioning what you don't like about it, it's hard to help you. But, just a random guess, the seal is poor, you don't hear as much bass, and the sound is thinner and brighter to your ears? Wasn't the included tips in a resealable ziplock bag or something like that? You opened the box anyway, might as well carefully open the included tips to properly audition the W80.

Wait, you just said you prefer UM Pro 50. So, if you have UM Pro 50, they all use the same thin long nozzle and the same eartips. Why not go through your Pro 50 eartips to test W80?

The tip I'm using is the Star silicone tip with size denoted by color coding on the core (mine are large-orange). It looks the same as the ones included. In the past, I've always preferred star to foam tips, but I could try.

The sound issue I'm having (which could really just be a matter of acclimation) is that there seems to be too much bass actually. Or rather emphasized mid-bass rather than extended low bass. The highs are nice and crisp, which gives me an impression of hollowed out mids combined with a "mid-bass sheen" all over the music.

I've listened with my DX90, computer->Grace m920, and computer->Mojo. It's actually starting to sound pretty good out of the Mojo. Never mind ... just pretend I'm not here ...... this is what happens when I post too early after an acquisition!

I'll be back later after a thorough (psycho-acoustic) break-in .

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #692 of 1,446
The tip I'm using is the Star silicone tip with size denoted by color coding on the core (mine are large-orange). It looks the same as the ones included. In the past, I've always preferred star to foam tips, but I could try.

The sound issue I'm having (which could really just be a matter of acclimation) is that there seems to be too much bass actually. Or rather emphasized mid-bass rather than extended low bass. The highs are nice and crisp, which gives me an impression of hollowed out mids combined with a "mid-bass sheen" all over the music.

I've listened with my DX90, computer->Grace m920, and computer->Mojo. It's actually starting to sound pretty good out of the Mojo. Never mind ... just pretend I'm not here ...... this is what happens when I post too early after an acquisition!

I'll be back later after a thorough (psycho-acoustic) break-in .

W80s with too much bass??
Weird...in the beginning i was disappointed because the treble...but i use the black startips...
Now i use the red startips with the best results.
IMO Westone IEMs needs a good fit but without fully closing the ear canal, that generates vacuum in the ear canal and too much bass

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #693 of 1,446
W80s with too much bass??
Weird...in the beginning i was disappointed because the treble...but i use the black startips...
Now i use the red startips with the best results.
IMO Westone IEMs needs a good fit but without fully closing the ear canal, that generates vacuum in the ear canal and too much bass

Exactly! Also, if you notice, the included eartips (foam tips mirror the silicone star tips) vary not just in diameter size but also in the height so you get a different depth of insertion. Different eartips for different ears :D

And in some cases, you can find that Shure olive silicone tips might work the best. I personally use the largest size "orange" tips, but Westone tips stick out a bit too much from my ears due to my shallow earcanal depth. So, I switched to using large Shure tips. I'm not a big fan of their iems, but use their eartips on W60 and W80 (Sweetwater sells them cheap in a pack of 5 pairs).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #694 of 1,446
I can vouch for Westone's customer service. I also had an issue with the faceplate, all of mine split at the seams. I may have over tightened the screw or something. I was gonna buy metal faceplates from Amazon JP (link), but 4,800 Yen = $41 USD is a bit steep for me. I reached out to Westone about replacement cost if I have to buy them when the warranty expires. They sent me a set at no charge and told me they don't know what the cost is for someone to buy one because they have never charged anyone for them. They saved me $41 from buying the metal ones and I got new faceplates within a week. Other than the faceplates, I don't have any issues with my W60. I've been fooling around with upgrade cables and the MMCX connectors are holding up very well. Much better than my Sony XBA-Z5.

Commenting on a four month thread, but personally spending the $40 is worth it. I bought them after learning about them on this thread and they're frigging cool

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #695 of 1,446
Commenting on a four month thread, but personally spending the $40 is worth it. I bought them after learning about them on this thread and they're frigging cool

I wish these guys make metal faceplates for W80 :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #696 of 1,446
Which over ear sound signature does w80 sound like? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #697 of 1,446
I pulled the trigger on these finally but I must say I'm kinda underwhelmed. My UERMs are much much much clearer than these and they sound much more cohesive. :triportsad: 3 drivers vs 8 drivers, I fell for the trap.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #698 of 1,446
I pulled the trigger on these finally but I must say I'm kinda underwhelmed. My UERMs are much much much clearer than these and they sound much more cohesive. :triportsad: 3 drivers vs 8 drivers, I fell for the trap.
Really is it that bad? I pulled the trigger too. Should I cancel it right away before it ships out?

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #699 of 1,446
I would give it some time for your brain to readjust. They are so different from your current IEMs. It is hard going between the W80s and my Empire Ears Zeus ADEL. But after I get used to their very different sounds, I can settle back and really enjoy both of these great IEMs.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #700 of 1,446
Really is it that bad? I pulled the trigger too. Should I cancel it right away before it ships out?
It's by no means bad but I'm spoiled by the UERM. The sound is definitely not as clean. I'm guessing it is meant to be this way as it makes more fun but I was looking for a similar signature as UERM in universal format but I messed up.

Again, it seems like a lot of people like the IEMs. So, take what I say with a grain of salt. :) I'll give it a bit more time as well. Hopefully, my brain will adjust :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #701 of 1,446
I would give it some time for your brain to readjust. They are so different from your current IEMs. It is hard going between the W80s and my Empire Ears Zeus ADEL. But after I get used to their very different sounds, I can settle back and really enjoy both of these great IEMs.
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I should be a bit more patient and positive. :fingers_crossed:

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #702 of 1,446
Thank you. I only have a ie800 as a "high end" iem, and I really like them. I listen to opera, musicals and movie soundtracks. Do you think W80 is a good choice for it? Thanks

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #703 of 1,446
It's by no means bad but I'm spoiled by the UERM. The sound is definitely not as clean. I'm guessing it is meant to be this way as it makes more fun but I was looking for a similar signature as UERM in universal format but I messed up.

Again, it seems like a lot of people like the IEMs. So, take what I say with a grain of salt. :) I'll give it a bit more time as well. Hopefully, my brain will adjust :L3000:
May I ask which cable are you using? The ALO one?

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #704 of 1,446
Thank you. I only have a ie800 as a "high end" iem, and I really like them. I listen to opera, musicals and movie soundtracks. Do you think W80 is a good choice for it? Thanks
I had the IE800s as well and I really loved them. I cannot really answer that question right now. If you give me a day or two, I probably can get back to you but you seem to be in a rush :slight_frown:

May I ask which cable are you using? The ALO one?
Not the ALO. I'm using the regular one.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #705 of 1,446

The sound staging on the W80 is brilliant (one of the best IEMs at casting a wide and deep mental image), but sorry, I don't listen to opera or musicals much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back