Westone W80
Jan 1, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #301 of 1,446
One more thing, the Westone W80 sig. are pricey indeed but their a good pricey compared to others that are asking
Way more for basic sound. I like very much my 535, 4r, u900s, primo 8, ( senn ie800- which I still love ) and a few others
But you get the picture right! the W80 will mop the floor with these. End Game for now until the W100!

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #302 of 1,446
One more thing, the Westone W80 sig. are pricey indeed but their a good pricey compared to others that are asking
Way more for basic sound. I like very much my 535, 4r, u900s, primo 8, ( senn ie800- which I still love ) and a few others
But you get the picture right! the W80 will mop the floor with these. End Game for now until the W100!

Could you imagine 10 drivers, darn!

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #303 of 1,446

Maybe you don't need to wait for W100 but rather ES80?
wink.gif
  Westone is full of surprises, just like they did going from W60 to ES60.  Maybe ES80 will be the same case, though similar to your experience, W80 sounds already perfect to my ears.  W100, not sure if it will still fit into the same bean-shaped shell lol!!!  Besides being the smallest shell I have seen with 8 drivers, it's small enough for me to put my head down on a pillow and still feel comfortable with my ear down.

Also, I can clearly see and "hear" from your description of W80 that you are into a more natural organic sound.  That exactly what Westone W-series delivers.  No piercing analytical details, but rather the kind of non-fatigue detailed sound you can listen for hours.  And W80 stepped it up with even more revealing details, and yet kept the same natural tonality.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #304 of 1,446

Maybe you don't need to wait for W100 but rather ES80?
wink.gif
  Westone is full of surprises, just like they did going from W60 to ES60.  Maybe ES80 will be the same case, though similar to your experience, W80 sounds already perfect to my ears.  W100, not sure if it will still fit into the same bean-shaped shell lol!!!  Besides being the smallest shell I have seen with 8 drivers, it's small enough for me to put my head down on a pillow and still feel comfortable with my ear down.

Also, I can clearly see and "hear" from your description of W80 that you are into a more natural organic sound.  That exactly what Westone W-series delivers.  No piercing analytical details, but rather the kind of non-fatigue detailed sound you can listen for hours.  And W80 stepped it up with even more revealing details, and yet kept the same natural tonality.

ES80 this month!!!!  ?   Can't wait because I love the es series!  

http://www.hearingreview.com/2016/12/westone-unveils-new-in-ear-monitors-at-namm-2017-show/

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #305 of 1,446
Hay Twister6, I agree with you on what your saying. I do like a natural and organic sound. You
Seem very experienced with audio. I could see Westone releasing the ES80 oh boy. Dam park
Avenue acoustic closed their office in midtown some years back they did awesome impression.
I do love my ES5 a lot. Twister6 what do you think of CA vega.

Ijnew I also like the es products myself. I think your going to love them. What I find amazing
Is well compare to many iem. Is that the w80 are very small, light and comfy for a 8 driver,
They also are build very very good. Some say that their cheap plastic and that's not the case.
They seem more like glass injected plastic or polymer plastic like nuforce primo 8. Which also
Damps the housing to reduce coloration unlike metals or alloys. Anyway ijnew don't be scared
Blow that cash!!! You won't regret it. Like the saying goes- you gotta pay$ to play.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #307 of 1,446
luckyshot you gotta attend CanJam Nyc on Feb 4th weekend. http://www.canjamglobal.com/nyc2017 - Its the best place to audition new gear.

I personally really like Vega. Its a very unique single dynamic driver iem and Ken knows what he is doing :wink: But if you read through their thread, it has some polarizing opinion, depending on your sound preference. So, I would recommend auditioning it at the show.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #308 of 1,446
Twister6 I agree with ya I gotta attend and get more involve. I've been to the NY headfi meet
A few times, but I do attend the big audio shows geared towards audiophiles. I never been to
Can-jam. But I will make the affort to go. Glad you like vega! I might place my order.
My other option could be to wait and look up the vendors that are attending camjam NYC
Thanks Twis.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #309 of 1,446
Twister6 I agree with ya I gotta attend and get more involve. I've been to the NY headfi meet
A few times, but I do attend the big audio shows geared towards audiophiles. I never been to
Can-jam. But I will make the affort to go. Glad you like vega! I might place my order.
My other option could be to wait and look up the vendors that are attending camjam NYC
Thanks Twis.

How would you compare the es50 to the w80?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #310 of 1,446
Thanks Twis.

Oh, this is going to be far from head-fi meet.  CanJam became a global phenomenon.  When you scroll down the link, you can see a list of attending manufacturers (over 50 listed already).  I don't see Westone on the list, probably since they are attending NAMM already.  I will bring W80 with me to CJ NYC for anybody who is interested to check it out.

With Vega, it's very unique and doesn't overlap with my other IEMs since I don't have too many dynamic driver monitors.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #311 of 1,446
Wow I going to canjam I have to. So many hobbies and interest, apart from work, school, family and friends.
Ijnew let me tell you first I hate typing, that's why I don't blog much also I'm always running around. First thing
I got my customs in 2012 and use Alo sxc-24 cable, a very powerful explosive cable, Alo promise a 3 to 4 db
In gain and they weren't playing. For example if I was using my fiio x5 I had to use the volume 30% lower!!
That's how much current flows thru that cable, also 0 Ohms means no resistance or phase shift. Alo stop
Making this cable few years back. Anyway the ES 50 has a fuller rounder bass authority, you can hear and feel
The bottom end . It's almost the driving force of that model. The mid-range is very clear and detail and the highs
Are beautiful in that they extend fully. I love my es5. The sound is in the middle of analytical and fun, they have
Some warmth that I love. The w80 is in my opinion is a little different. The w80 has a bottom end that has so
Much articulation and precision that I can't believe I fell asleep Late last night because how great they sound.
You could hear every string pulled on Ron carters up-right in the golden sticker CD. It's amazing, the highs with
Four (4) drivers their are probably the best I have heard in 30+ yrs in audio, any audio reproduction!!!

For example different cymbals sound exactly that absolutely different, their sound color, size height and shimmer
Is crazy. Cow bells are very dense and canny as well. It's hard for me to explain. It's sounds real. It does the bottom
End and high frequency a little better than my customs. Yes in that regard the w80 is better than es50.The midrange are
More similar and I believe that Westone engineers didn't want to change that clarity and detail that they are good at.
Many speakers companies always get the mid-range right because that's where everything mostly live. Like the human
Speech for example. Now I can say that they have similarities. Like the house sound and texture, the both cone from
The Westone family tradition of sound. Which I'm very familiar with going back to the 3,s. Well, sorry for errors in writing.
Did I mention I hate typing, I do a lot.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #312 of 1,446
Twister6 yeah Westone will be absent. But I'm going anyway. Tickets are very affordable and if
Anyone is interested in purchasing a new product, this is the event to get a first hand look at perhaps
That product. Also it may stop you from making the wrong decision. For some reason every time I attend
A big audio show like home intertainment or Rockie mountain audio fest I blow more cash than I should.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #313 of 1,446
Wow I going to canjam I have to. So many hobbies and interest, apart from work, school, family and friends.
Ijnew let me tell you first I hate typing, that's why I don't blog much also I'm always running around. First thing
I got my customs in 2012 and use Alo sxc-24 cable, a very powerful explosive cable, Alo promise a 3 to 4 db
In gain and they weren't playing. For example if I was using my fiio x5 I had to use the volume 30% lower!!
That's how much current flows thru that cable, also 0 Ohms means no resistance or phase shift. Alo stop
Making this cable few years back. Anyway the ES 50 has a fuller rounder bass authority, you can hear and feel
The bottom end . It's almost the driving force of that model. The mid-range is very clear and detail and the highs
Are beautiful in that they extend fully. I love my es5. The sound is in the middle of analytical and fun, they have
Some warmth that I love. The w80 is in my opinion is a little different. The w80 has a bottom end that has so
Much articulation and precision that I can't believe I fell asleep Late last night because how great they sound.
You could hear every string pulled on Ron carters up-right in the golden sticker CD. It's amazing, the highs with
Four (4) drivers their are probably the best I have heard in 30+ yrs in audio, any audio reproduction!!!

For example different cymbals sound exactly that absolutely different, their sound color, size height and shimmer
Is crazy. Cow bells are very dense and canny as well. It's hard for me to explain. It's sounds real. It does the bottom
End and high frequency a little better than my customs. Yes in that regard the w80 is better than es50.The midrange are
More similar and I believe that Westone engineers didn't want to change that clarity and detail that they are good at.
Many speakers companies always get the mid-range right because that's where everything mostly live. Like the human
Speech for example. Now I can say that they have similarities. Like the house sound and texture, the both cone from
The Westone family tradition of sound. Which I'm very familiar with going back to the 3,s. Well, sorry for errors in writing.

ok thanks.  I have the universal version of the es50 the um pro 50.  I don't understand why most iem makers don't include tweeters for the treble.  I think the es50 would benefit greatly from tweeters.  Some of the most distinctive treble I've heard was on sony iem with tweeters.

I'm not an engineer by any means but I've been studying and noticed that size matters..   For example, treble is supposed to get better as the driver gets smaller, but bass and mids are supposed to get better by increasing size up to a certain point. I think that's why the tweeters sound so good and distinctive because they are smaller.  However, I'm in no position to defend this and I know this would send the bullets flying here on Headfi; so I digress.

What I really like about the pro 50 outside of sound is the isolation.  I take the train in Chicago and with the large foam tips I don't really hear anything outside of the vibrations.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #314 of 1,446
Twister6 yeah Westone will be absent. But I'm going anyway. Tickets are very affordable and if
Anyone is interested in purchasing a new product, this is the event to get a first hand look at perhaps
That product. Also it may stop you from making the wrong decision. For some reason every time I attend
A big audio show like home intertainment or Rockie mountain audio fest I blow more cash than I should.

Many of us, especially on the East Coast don't have luxury of audio shops with access to many popular IEMs and cables where you can just walk in and preview and compare.  Thus, people rely on reviews to narrow it down to their particular signature of preference.  But keep in mind, we all hear things different, and only your ears are the final judge of what's good for YOU
wink.gif
  Of course, amazon also helps since you can return back (if need it).  I'm in a different boat since I'm a reviewer, but strongly encourage others to attend your local audio shows to get first hand/ears experience
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #315 of 1,446

ok thanks.  I have the universal version of the es50 the um pro 50.  I don't understand why most iem makers don't include tweeters for the treble.  I think the es50 would benefit greatly from tweeters.  Some of the most distinctive treble I've heard was on sony iem with tweeters.

I'm not an engineer by any means but I've been studying and noticed that size matters..   For example, treble is supposed to get better as the driver gets smaller, but bass and mids are supposed to get better by increasing size up to a certain point. I think that's why the tweeters sound so good and distinctive because they are smaller.  However, I'm in no position to defend this and I know this would send the bullets flying here on Headfi; so I digress.

What I really like about the pro 50 outside of sound is the isolation.  I take the train in Chicago and with the large foam tips I don't really hear anything outside of the vibrations.

I'm not so sure if ES50 will be universal version of UM Pro50 or W50.  I have ES60 and W60 and those are two differently tuned monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back