Westone W80
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #331 of 1,446
I would like to hear comparisons of W80 vs Shure 846 and AK Angie II 

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #332 of 1,446
  I would like to hear comparisons of W80 vs Shure 846 and AK Angie II 

I haven't heard the Angie II, but the W80s are definitely ahead of the SE846s to my ears. Definitely "bigger sounding" with better treble extension and just more transparent to my ears.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #333 of 1,446
I think it's awesome that Westone legendary sound designers, twins Karl and Kris Cartwright, are still jamming on stage at NAMM
biggrin.gif
  And probably wearing Westone ES ciems in their ears
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #334 of 1,446
I haven't heard the Angie II, but the W80s are definitely ahead of the SE846s to my ears. Definitely "bigger sounding" with better treble extension and just more transparent to my ears.

How should substantial is that difference? I still have three weeks to return the 846 and well, alternatives remain interesting.

The W80 cost almost twice as much here tho. The benefit would have to be considerable.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #335 of 1,446
How should substantial is that difference? I still have three weeks to return the 846 and well, alternatives remain interesting.

The W80 cost almost twice as much here tho. The benefit would have to be considerable.

I found the SE846 far more "closed in" sounding with treble that no matter what is still rolled off. The W80's treble is laid back but still extends further. I also preferred the bass on the Westones. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #336 of 1,446
Hey Twister, I'm scratching my gootie here. Looking to upgrade to the the 80s series - never experienced the ES series, but given the hit I've already taken with the Sony Walkman WZ1, quite prepared for the higher priced ES80. What does concern me is that the technical details seem to be similar to W80s which are getting excellent reviews.

To put into context W60 v ES60 had different db, impudence etc - from what i can see ES80 has the same as W80.....
What I'm after as I await ES80 lauch is your opinion on whether the ES80 will be more precise, critical listening etc, at the expense of what the colourful W80s offer, something all the W80 reviews seem to confirm.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #337 of 1,446
Hey Twister, I'm scratching my gootie here. Looking to upgrade to the the 80s series - never experienced the ES series, but given the hit I've already taken with the Sony Walkman WZ1, quite prepared for the higher priced ES80. What does concern me is that the technical details seem to be similar to W80s which are getting excellent reviews.

To put into context W60 v ES60 had different db, impudence etc - from what i can see ES80 has the same as W80.....
What I'm after as I await ES80 lauch is your opinion on whether the ES80 will be more precise, critical listening etc, at the expense of what the colourful W80s offer, something all the W80 reviews seem to confirm.

ES80 is still a mystery. Don't want to speculate about it since i honestly have no idea which way it will be tuned. Let's wait and see... or hear :wink:

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #339 of 1,446
Jan 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #340 of 1,446
Hey guys! I've just read all the 23 pages of the thread before posting and there have been some interesting posts, and hilarious as well. I'm not going to comment on the people saying at the beginning of this discussing that Westone are only for people not knowing other brands and with zero hifi knowledge, oh well...

I just wanted to make some comments on the W60 and questions on W80. I have used Westone as my main in ear monitor for over 10 years know, so my evolution was UM2, W30, W4r, W40, W60 and now planning to get the W80. I must say I've never kept the previous IEMs and I sold them a month after getting the upgrade. I also have different "over ears" like Alessandro or AK but that's another story.

It is true that the Westone W60 has some build problems:

- My cable was completely destroyed after 6 months use (every day to commute), but it never stopped working, it just looks really bad.

- The faceplates always crack, I used many and received replacements from Westone, but eventually, after heavy use, they always start cracking. I think this is an unacceptable design by Westone and I hope it has been fixed in the W80. I remember that I never had such problems with the W40, and I've always used my IEM a lot (3 - 4 hours per day approx).

- I don't think there is a problem with the connector but the cable, with my stock cables the connection is sturdy and I never had any problems. Of course they spin 360º but this is supposed to be a feature, which I don't mind. Other than that I really love the MIFI cable, but I think westone did something wrong with it. In the W40 the cable was perfect, no deterioration after a year of heavy use, but with the W60 the cable was destroyed in 6 months. Now it has a year and it is still working, but looks really bad.

I asked Westone a replacement and they sent a new one, however this one has the right connector to loose and sometimes the earpiece disconnects randomly. I think this is unacceptable and I stopped using it afraid of losing one earphone.

Other than that, I never had any problems. My W60 may have over 500h now and I can say it has my favourite IEM so far.

There has been some comments against the plastic build quality, well I guess this is to keep weight and small design. Could be the shape of my ear, but the westone IEMs have been the most confortable earphones I ever tried, and to me that's almost more important than the sound quality. I don't really care if I can get better earphones but they are bigger and look like If I had 2 monsters in my ears, but that's my preference. 

In reference to build quality and confortable of the W60, hence the W80, I have been overlanding with my motorbike Europe and Asia for the last 6 months, so I have spent a lot of time riding with my W60 (being able to use my IEM with my helmet is a must to me). I had some days of riding 14h and the fatigue was minimum. You could't do that with most of the universal IEMs on the market. Not to mention the Startips, I think they are the best eartips on the market, I was fan of the triple flange and then the shure olives, but man, the startips are so confortable that I don't miss my custom molds at all. Actually, that's one of the reasons why I am always getting the Wxx series and not the ESxx one: I had custom eartips but with they use the lose effectiveness. If I compare the Westone startips with custom IEM, I would l really go for the universal option, but that's my preference.

I hope all that helps other to decide (or discard) towards the new W80, I am going to order them but I am not sure I will keep them or not, if the cable pops out from the earpiece easily there is no way I will keep them.

So, all this to ask a few questions:

- Does the cable pop out easily? As I said I wouln't accept this.
- It's the new cable easy to "organise"? Meaning does it get tangled easily. I used to like the westone braided cable, but the MIFI one is more functional to me.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #341 of 1,446
  So, all this to ask a
Hey guys! I've just read all the 23 pages of the thread before posting and there have been some interesting posts, and hilarious as well. I'm not going to comment on the people saying at the beginning of this discussing that Westone are only for people not knowing other brands and with zero hifi knowledge, oh well...

I just wanted to make some comments on the W60 and questions on W80. I have used Westone as my main in ear monitor for over 10 years know, so my evolution was UM2, W30, W4r, W40, W60 and now planning to get the W80. I must say I've never kept the previous IEMs and I sold them a month after getting the upgrade. I also have different "over ears" like Alessandro or AK but that's another story.

It is true that the Westone W60 has some build problems:

- My cable was completely destroyed after 6 months use (every day to commute), but it never stopped working, it just looks really bad.

- The faceplates always crack, I used many and received replacements from Westone, but eventually, after heavy use, they always start cracking. I think this is an unacceptable design by Westone and I hope it has been fixed in the W80. I remember that I never had such problems with the W40, and I've always used my IEM a lot (3 - 4 hours per day approx).

- I don't think there is a problem with the connector but the cable, with my stock cables the connection is sturdy and I never had any problems. Of course they spin 360º but this is supposed to be a feature, which I don't mind. Other than that I really love the MIFI cable, but I think westone did something wrong with it. In the W40 the cable was perfect, no deterioration after a year of heavy use, but with the W60 the cable was destroyed in 6 months. Now it has a year and it is still working, but looks really bad.

I asked Westone a replacement and they sent a new one, however this one has the right connector to loose and sometimes the earpiece disconnects randomly. I think this is unacceptable and I stopped using it afraid of losing one earphone.

Other than that, I never had any problems. My W60 may have over 500h now and I can say it has my favourite IEM so far.

There has been some comments against the plastic build quality, well I guess this is to keep weight and small design. Could be the shape of my ear, but the westone IEMs have been the most confortable earphones I ever tried, and to me that's almost more important than the sound quality. I don't really care if I can get better earphones but they are bigger and look like If I had 2 monsters in my ears, but that's my preference. 

In reference to build quality and confortable of the W60, hence the W80, I have been overlanding with my motorbike Europe and Asia for the last 6 months, so I have spent a lot of time riding with my W60 (being able to use my IEM with my helmet is a must to me). I had some days of riding 14h and the fatigue was minimum. You could't do that with most of the universal IEMs on the market. Not to mention the Startips, I think they are the best eartips on the market, I was fan of the triple flange and then the shure olives, but man, the startips are so confortable that I don't miss my custom molds at all. Actually, that's one of the reasons why I am always getting the Wxx series and not the ESxx one: I had custom eartips but with they use the lose effectiveness. If I compare the Westone startips with custom IEM, I would l really go for the universal option, but that's my preference.

I hope all that helps other to decide (or discard) towards the new W80, I am going to order them but I am not sure I will keep them or not, if the cable pops out from the earpiece easily there is no way I will keep them.

few questions:

- Does the cable pop out easily? As I said I wouln't accept this.
- It's the new cable easy to "organise"? Meaning does it get tangled easily. I used to like the westone braided cable, but the MIFI one is more functional to me.

W80 faceplate/clip is completely redesigned, my Review has up close side-by-side pictures to show the difference between W60 and W80.  It's a big difference and a definite improvement.

The cable connectors have been updated as well, improved tolerance.  Westone even calls it now MMCX Audio Connectors.  I'm certainly noticing improvement in the last three releases, AM Pro series, BT Cable, and now W80, the connection is snappier and feels more secure.

By new cable, do you mean the included premium ALU Ref8 cable?  It's thinner, a little springy due to its jacket, but very pliable and easy to wrap around (I typically wrap around 3 fingers) and you get a new small storage case which is a scaled down version of the main larger travel case.  You can see it in pictures in my review.  Regarding the cable with in-line remote control (Epic G2 cable), I'm personally not a big fan of it because volume works with Apple products only, while multi-function buttons work with Android as well.  But it's on a large side and prevents wrapping the cable in a tight loop.  But it is convenient, especially if you have iPhone.  In my opinion, I would have made this in-line remote universal, making it shorter and with only one multi-function button.  Otherwise, this is removable cable with mmcx connector, easy to replace.  For audiophile audio-only listening you don't need remote.  For in-line remote you are using it with your smartphone which doesn't have as high resolution as a dedicated DAP anyway.  When it comes to a cable, you can always switch and replace it.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #342 of 1,446
If I really like the sound signature of my ES5 (keywords: vocal oriented, warm, lush, tubey, organic, natural, not strident, adequate bass - maybe a bit more than adequate but that's what I like), which of the following Westones would satisfy me most?

- ES60
- W60
- W80

or wait for the ES80?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #343 of 1,446
  If I really like the sound signature of my ES5 (keywords: vocal oriented, warm, lush, tubey, organic, natural, not strident, adequate bass - maybe a bit more than adequate but that's what I like), which of the following Westones would satisfy me most?

- ES60
- W60
- W80

or wait for the ES80?

ES60 is geared more toward audiophile preferred tuning, more neutral, more revealing.  We don't know yet how ES80 going to sound, don't want to speculate but I don't think they will be going for warm/lush tuning.  W80 is in between W60 and ES60.  Based on what you are describing, W60 is calling your name
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #345 of 1,446
Thanks bud. Has the faceplate issue of W60 been resolved yet?

I know their faceplate design has been updated, should be more robust.  So, if you are getting W60 now it will have a new design, but it's not the same as W80.  And their warranty will cover you for two years, and a few people (within US) told me they contacted Westone service after their warranty expired and still received complimentary faceplate replacement.  Heard the same from someone who also received replacement Epic cable outside of the warranty too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back