Westone W80
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #1,351 of 1,446
Well I'm always one for pad... err tip rolling. @AmericanSpirit Do you recommend the AZLA Xelastec Crystal tips or are there other tips you prefer on the W80? I'll probably grab the AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal since they're on Amazon and come with a stem adapter.
I have at least tried AZAL Xelastec, Xelastec Crystal, SednaFit, SpinFit (CP100/CP100+/CP360/CP450/CP500/W1), SpiralDot (Dot, Dot++), Acoustune AET07, Moondrop SringTip, Softears UC, Sony hybrids, Ety triple flange, Westone’s stock ones, UM Bluecore, Final E, and other non-brand ones. Of which Softears UC and this Non-brand tip had a good timbre match.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNFIvTM

I’ve tried couple of Foam tips but it’s not a good match especially for already dark tuned IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,355 of 1,446
i am convinced my Westone 2 bought at HKD 1,400 (less EURO 130) stood up well against SE535 HKD 3,900 (Less EURO 350)
I have bought the W80 v3 for $399. I compare it to an ie600.

(This is my opinion only, right or wrong). Its sound quality is very much like the ie600. It's a bit worse, a little more raw, but it does not lose by much. I would not be upset listening the the W80 rather than the ie600.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #1,356 of 1,446
I have bought the W80 v3 for $399. I compare it to an ie600.

(This is my opinion only, right or wrong). Its sound quality is very much like the ie600. It's a bit worse, a little more raw, but it does not lose by much. I would not be upset listening the the W80 rather than the ie600.
https://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=32765

No hatred and subjective opinion, I come from a culture of Traditional Chinese, we would think FitEar of Japan to some argument our Asian pride

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,357 of 1,446
https://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=32765

No hatred and subjective opinion, I come from a culture of Traditional Chinese, we would think FitEar of Japan to some argument our Asian pride
If you are from traditional Chinese region, how about qdc and unique Melody, those two are the behemoths of this IEM world coming from mainland China. Maybe Thieaudio as well.

FitEar 須山補聴器, the Suyama Audiologist started their CIEM business as a spinoff from their private molding service, Unique Melody started their root from remolding US’s private CIEMs as well.

I’m native Japanese, FitEar is surely has fanbase like stax in fullsize cans(well stax got acquired by chinese logitech like Edifier though, just like what I’ve seen UE lost their competition and sold off to Logitech)

I tried TG334 at Akihabara, it did sound great but not a TOTL level great to be honest. Tuning has great reference level, basic technicality capabilities not too far from AKG N5005, or Westone W80. Of which I have both and would score A for N5005, A+ for W80.

TG334 was A class, where blessing 2, Mangird Tea, the latest AFUL Performer 5, Timeless, Wu Zetian, and surprisingly Truthear’s Zero $49, and HEXA $79 all belongs to. So from Japanese audiophiles point of view, FitEar is already reaching the edge of “legacy brand”. Their latest EST hybrid model had only received lukewarm receptions.

They are great but still not as innovative as the level of MEST class. And had to compete their $800 IEM with $79 latest high tech iems.

Agree with Senn’s lost in performances though.

I’ve tried some of new Senn’s IE Series and still like my old pairs of IE8, but it’s a little old school now.

I can see why Sennheiser lost their competitive advantage and quit consumer business last year, now only serving for Neumann and professional sector.

My suggestion is try out Truthear Zero, or HEXA to update current benchmarks, things have changed. Old Cadillac isn’t competitive enough to outperform Tesla’s Model S nowadays.

Their stock ear tip isn’t very high performing, so I’d suggest to couple with SpinFit CP360, it can hold a constructive discussion between W80 and N5005 with tiny fraction of the price that bigbox brands used to offer.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #1,358 of 1,446
If you are from traditional Chinese region, how about qdc and unique Melody, those two are the behemoths of this IEM world coming from mainland China. Maybe Thieaudio as well.

FitEar 須山補聴器, the Suyama Audiologist started their CIEM business as a spinoff from their private molding service, Unique Melody started their root from remolding US’s private CIEMs as well.

I’m native Japanese, FitEar is surely has fanbase like stax in fullsize cans(well stax got acquired by chinese logitech like Edifier though, just like what I’ve seen UE lost their competition and sold off to Logitech)

I tried TG334 at Akihabara, it did sound great but not a TOTL level great to be honest. Tuning has great reference level, basic technicality capabilities not too far from AKG N5005, or Westone W80. Of which I have both and would score A for N5005, A+ for W80.

TG334 was A class, where blessing 2, Mangird Tea, the latest AFUL Performer 5, Timeless, Wu Zetian, and surprisingly Truthear’s Zero $49, and HEXA $79 all belongs to. So from Japanese audiophiles point of view, FitEar is already reaching the edge of “legacy brand”. Their latest EST hybrid model had only received lukewarm receptions.

They are great but still not as innovative as the level of MEST class. And had to compete their $800 IEM with $79 latest high tech iems.

Agree with Senn’s lost in performances though.

I’ve tried some of new Senn’s IE Series and still like my old pairs of IE8, but it’s a little old school now.

I can see why Sennheiser lost their competitive advantage and quit consumer business last year, now only serving for Neumann and professional sector.

My suggestion is try out Truthear Zero, or HEXA to update current benchmarks, things have changed. Old Cadillac isn’t competitive enough to outperform Tesla’s Model S nowadays.

Their stock ear tip isn’t very high performing, so I’d suggest to couple with SpinFit CP360, it can hold a constructive discussion between W80 and N5005 with tiny fraction of the price that bigbox brands used to offer.
Very stubborn SE535 and UM3X, never any custom IEM from Mingo hmw, he organized some meetings,like twenty years ago

To regret nobody needed to know Sigur Ros or any so called post rock, other than Tom Cruiser hollywood OST what merit at all, but only media hype eg the Strokes

Jan 7, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #1,361 of 1,446
It is not good time to interrupt, but Westone 4r was good time away from present

So was Westone 3. I ended up Westone 2 and UM2 (original one traded from fellow head fi)
I've got the Westone W80 IEMs, which I bought for $600, and I'm struggling with the possibility that China is pumping out $150 earbuds of equal or greater quality.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,362 of 1,446
I've got the Westone W80 IEMs, which I bought for $600, and I'm struggling with the possibility that China is pumping out $150 earbuds of equal or greater quality.
Here is my take on this.

1. Almost every IEM has a different sound signature or ear fit.
2. When the cost moves north of $80 most sound very good.
3. The Chinese IEM's are very good quality and will last at least a year or more in daily use.

In this hobby for many of us but not all, it's often all about owning a set of IEM's that costs more than $1000 even if they don't sound 4 times or 3 times or even twice as good as the $80 set.

I have many IEM's that sound very nice in the less than $200 category that I purchased purely out of curiosity, do I use them much, no, would I be happy with the $200 set if I didn't own the W80, yes 100%. So really I'm only using the W80 because it cost more if you think of it like that.

PS. Back to point #1 above for me the W80 is the most comfortable to wear IEM due to its size and 2mm nozzle so it wins there too.

Jan 8, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,363 of 1,446
Here is my take on this.

1. Almost every IEM has a different sound signature or ear fit.
2. When the cost moves north of $80 most sound very good.
3. The Chinese IEM's are very good quality and will last at least a year or more in daily use.

In this hobby for many of us but not all, it's often all about owning a set of IEM's that costs more than $1000 even if they don't sound 4 times or 3 times or even twice as good as the $80 set.

I have many IEM's that sound very nice in the less than $200 category that I purchased purely out of curiosity, do I use them much, no, would I be happy with the $200 set if I didn't own the W80, yes 100%. So really I'm only using the W80 because it cost more if you think of it like that.

PS. Back to point #1 above for me the W80 is the most comfortable to wear IEM due to its size and 2mm nozzle so it wins there too.

It was 1% exception Sony XBA4 even it was TOTL was not my subjective satisfaction but it was BestBuy (equivalent in HK) chain store demo units...

But P.S. i said I never liked Sony in my head-fi threads 10-20 years ago.

I did not have any patience to try different tips, so it may not warrant any merit at all my opinion

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #1,364 of 1,446
Anyone have good DAP recommendations for the W80? I own a Mojo 2 and it sucks with the W80, hiss is extremely audible. Thinking about ditching the Mojo2/Poly combo for a DAP that will synergize well with the W80s. Thinking maybe a Fiio M11s or M11 Plus. Anyone have experience with DAPs that don't produce audible hiss with the W80s and compliment the sound sig?

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,365 of 1,446
Hi everyone! Does anyone know someone in Europe who can repair the W80, the right earpice stopped working, at the begginning started failing a little bit but touching the cable would make it work, but then one day stopped.

I think it's the cable so it should be something "easy" to fix but I don't think I have the skills to do it. I've tried several local repair centers but they all said they don't work with earphones.

It's sad but it seems no one bothers to fix things anymore, it's just throwing and buying a new one.

PS: I've obviously contacted Westone and Variphone, and they said they don't do fixes, which is very dissapointed for this level of product. I honestly think I won't be buying Westone again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back