Westone W80
Mar 9, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,321 of 1,446
Checking back on this forum after some time. I have V1 W80 and was looking into a replacement, today noticing on Westone's website the W80 is no longer offered (?). Perhaps I missed something but is the W80 now discontinued? Any guidance to obtaining a replacement W80, v3 or otherwise. Didn't see the V2 Bluetooth cable either.

You can still find it on amazon or from other retailers.

May 10, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,323 of 1,446
So is v3 still in production or is Amazon just selling the stock that is left?

Really want to know if the Alo cable is still being included and how would I know it is v3 specifically.
It must be old stock. The Alo cable isn't included with the V3 so that is the best way to tell that its a V3 the V3 model is shipped with a different Westone cable option.

It says V3 in the title too. :)

1652205879589.png

May 12, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #1,325 of 1,446
May 12, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,327 of 1,446
May 18, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,329 of 1,446
May 18, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,330 of 1,446
Aug 15, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,331 of 1,446
Just got a pair which sound great but the seams where the shells connect dont look even. Should i be concerned? Or is it just standard manufacturing?

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,332 of 1,446
Just got a pair which sound great but the seams where the shells connect dont look even. Should i be concerned? Or is it just standard manufacturing?

can you post a picture so we can see?

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #1,333 of 1,446
20220815_161517.jpg

20220815_161641.jpg

20220815_161434.jpg

20220815_161645.jpg

Its less noticeable in real life but was just curious if all the shells can have a degree of variation. I dont think its a crack either, I ran my fingernail over it to see.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,334 of 1,446
@twister6 Hello!
You don't know me, of course, since I haven't logged in for years, and I'm sure that the few posts I made were me embarrassing myself, but I'm not brave enough to go look; however, I've read this entire thread and have been especially pleased with your detailed, polite and informative posts. I almost feel like I know you, having spent so many hours, at this point, reading your comments, so please forgive me if I'm impertinent.
A long time ago, I had a pair of Westone earbuds in my favorites, and I thought that one day I would get my dream IEM and buy them. Well, despite the fact that it's really not a good time right now, I've just pulled the trigger on the Westone W80s. My timing was poor, it seems, because I purchased them yesterday, but it's only just at this moment that I've finished reading this thread and discovered two things.
First, that the W line has been discontinued (which means what? I don't know, but it's foreboding) and secondly, that the general consensus on older earbuds is that newer technology has rendered most classic, quality earbuds like the Shure SE215 and the entire line-up of Westone's W series obsolete.
So what I'm wondering is this: Is the W series a pointless, ancient technology whose sound cannot match modern competitors at half the price? or would you say that anyone who agrees with the W series signature sound should, were they to put in a pair of these today, still be impressed with the quality?
On the one hand, I'm not given to believing everything that people say, especially when there's a lot of "band-wagoning," so that there's a popular belief and everyone repeats it because it makes them feel important and cool and, sure, helpful.
On the other hand, I'd be foolish to completely dismiss this apparent axiom when it's so popular.
On the other-other hand, I have my doubts about how much further IEM technology can even go. I guess if it's a matter of price, then parts may have become cheaper, and what was expensive innovation six years ago is now standard. . . but then, where does that leave modern $1,500 IEMs, including Westone's own Mach 80s? If I buy the Westone W80s—which I've already admitted that I have—for $650, am I getting $850 less quality than if I'd bought the Mach 80s?
I notice that the Mach 80s purport to have a very neutral, but still punchy, tuning. I like neutral, but I'm also a believer that if an earbud can have too much of something, then with EQing it can be made to have less, so I'm not overly concerned with tuning itself. The Mach 80s appear to have the same driver configuration as the W80s, so I'm wondering if maybe it's just a refreshed title and tuning with essentially the same hardware?
The upshot is this: Have I made the biggest mistake of my life buying the Westone W80s?
Anyway, if you read this, thanks a million. If you didn't, I can't blame you at all, lol!
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,335 of 1,446
the W line has been discontinued (which means what? I don't know, but it's foreboding)
W line being discontinued means it is not being manufactured any longer. Unlike smartphones (and other consumer electronic products) - there is no firmware, no drivers, etc. Which means your new W80 will continue to provide great audio performance for years to come, same as on day one!

would you say that anyone who agrees with the W series signature sound should, were they to put in a pair of these today, still be impressed with the quality?
This. I have a pair of W80 that I still enjoy. New models do not render the older model useless... if you like its sound - just enjoy it :)

On the one hand

On the other hand

On the other-other hand
Dude, do you really have 4 hands?!?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If I buy the Westone W80s—which I've already admitted that I have—for $650, am I getting $850 less quality than if I'd bought the Mach 80s?
This hobby, like many other things in life, is strongly affected by the "law of diminishing returns". The short version of it is: the more expensive your <IEM / amp / DAC / etc.> is, the MUCH more you'll have to pay for MUCH smaller improvements. So... you could find IEM for $50 that is MUCH better than a $20 IEM, but to make the same step up - now you'll have to pay $300, and for the next BIG step up - you'll pay $1,000 etc.

Have I made the biggest mistake of my life buying the Westone W80s?
IMHO, no! The W80 is a good IEM, especially for the price you paid!!
Besides, "biggest mistake of my life" - really? You are taking this hobby VERY seriously... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back