Westone W80
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,381 of 1,446
MACH80 tuning is rather flat, as I noted in my MACH10-80 review. Considering how much you're enjoying W80, I think MACH70 will be more up your valley if you decide to test it. ES80 will be more neutral in comparison to W80, but not as flat as MACH80. I really think Westone was targeting music producers who do mixing using iem monitors when they were tuning MACH80, to give them a perfectly flat reference monitor. But like I said, you might want to try MACH70 to complement your W80 :wink:
Actually, if I were going to swap out, I'd go for the Mach80 based on what you just said. I want flat-as-possible frequency response with the full capability of playing anything that needs to be played.
While the W80 is tuned a bit too warmly for me, I can still appreciate it since it does everything so well nevertheless and, again, is the punchiest IEM I've ever experienced.
Having had this conversation, I guess if my W80 kicks the bucket, I might have to try the Mach80 instead of another W80, even though I'm very reluctant to part with my cherished W80s. D:

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,382 of 1,446
MACH80 tuning is rather flat, as I noted in my MACH10-80 review. Considering how much you're enjoying W80, I think MACH70 will be more up your valley if you decide to test it. ES80 will be more neutral in comparison to W80, but not as flat as MACH80. I really think Westone was targeting music producers who do mixing using iem monitors when they were tuning MACH80, to give them a perfectly flat reference monitor. But like I said, you might want to try MACH70 to complement your W80 :wink:
MACH70 is my personal favorite of the MACH lineup. I always prefer extra bass (vs. neutral / flat)...

Sep 4, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,384 of 1,446
I want flat-as-possible frequency response with the full capability of playing anything that needs to be played.
mach80 are flat alright, but not in a good, neutral way, but in a lifeless/boring/dead sounding way :D
There is nothing special about their resolving capabilities as well, no need to pay so much for this sound, when you can easily find better iems for cheaper.
I'm not a fan of W80, not anymore, but i would take them over mach80.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,385 of 1,446
mach80 are flat alright, but not in a good, neutral way, but in a lifeless/boring/dead sounding way :D
There is nothing special about their resolving capabilities as well, no need to pay so much for this sound, when you can easily find better iems for cheaper.
I'm not a fan of W80, not anymore, but i would take them over mach80.
Honestly, I can't imagine what this means, and that's not me being sarcastic. If the response is flat, and the drivers are good, then whether it's lifeless should be a product of the music itself, not the IEM. Are you saying that there's an extreme trough in one of the upper-bass/lower-mid frequencies that's diminishing energy?
If it's "flat," then whatever the mastering engineer wanted to be exaggerated should be exaggerated, and what he didn't, shouldn't.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,388 of 1,446
I use Comply T-100 and Comply Professional (longer) memory foam ear tips. They are not “custom” but comfortable and better sound quality, less background noise. I can wear them for hours too.
I have used Complys since high school with my first “IEM”s (Vmoda Vibes :D) but I’ve always been curious about full custom.

I was googling because I saw w80’s for $400, and I would like to use these for live stage monitoring and then googled these custom molded ear tips that would fit the w80

https://www.pilotstuff.com/averysound/as.westone.html

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,390 of 1,446
How do these old W80's hold up against contemporary IEMs in the $400-$2000 range?
If you want "just the facts, Ma'am," then the truth is that ANY IEM that has an equivalent frequency response will be as good as these as far as sheer fidelity. Check the frequency response. These are 5hz to 20,000hz (or was it 22,000hz?)
That's because everything, even the craziest low notes ever, tend to cap at 5hz, and most of us can't hear beyond 15,000hz and 99% of us can't hear beyond 20,000hz.
So what are you actually looking for?
Build quality. Will they last? (Mine are going on two years now.)
Comfort. (The Westone W-style is known for being hyper comfortable.)
Tuning. (These have a mid-bass boost that can be annoying if you're sensitive to it, which I seem to be. I EQ the bass down something like 80%.)

These were $1,500 when they came out. I think they're WELL worth the $400 you'd pay. I paid $650 for my pair. I also bought some metal j-clips to freshen them up and they look almost brand new again.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,391 of 1,446
If you want "just the facts, Ma'am," then the truth is that ANY IEM that has an equivalent frequency response will be as good as these as far as sheer fidelity. Check the frequency response. These are 5hz to 20,000hz (or was it 22,000hz?)
That's because everything, even the craziest low notes ever, tend to cap at 5hz, and most of us can't hear beyond 15,000hz and 99% of us can't hear beyond 20,000hz.
So what are you actually looking for?
Build quality. Will they last? (Mine are going on two years now.)
Comfort. (The Westone W-style is known for being hyper comfortable.)
Tuning. (These have a mid-bass boost that can be annoying if you're sensitive to it, which I seem to be. I EQ the bass down something like 80%.)

These were $1,500 when they came out. I think they're WELL worth the $400 you'd pay. I paid $650 for my pair. I also bought some metal j-clips to freshen them up and they look almost brand new again.
Thank you very much for your well thought reply. In for a pair of w80 v3’s from Adorama!!

Now, to find adequate amplification…

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,392 of 1,446
Thank you very much for your well thought reply. In for a pair of w80 v3’s from Adorama!!

Now, to find adequate amplification…

Amplification for what? And what is your current audio source to begin with?

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,393 of 1,446
Amplification for what? And what is your current audio source to begin with?

The last amps I owned were like a uDAC and an Objective2 + ODAC combo which I no longer have. Now just have my iPhone 13 Pro Max and 2017 MacBook Pro. Will probably get a wireless IEM system of some sort for stage monitoring whenever I need that (any suggestions).

Have mostly used Bluetooth Sony XM3’s and AirPods Pro 2 lately

Otherwise I am looking for a decent portable amp that would work with my iPhone, to which I interpret can mean any amp and DAC combo with USB input

Perusing the classifieds I see a used Paw S2 for like $100 and and Luxury and Precision W2 for $150, but I’ve never heard of them before

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,394 of 1,446
The last amps I owned were like a uDAC and an Objective2 + ODAC combo which I no longer have. Now just have my iPhone 13 Pro Max and 2017 MacBook Pro. Will probably get a wireless IEM system of some sort for stage monitoring whenever I need that (any suggestions).

Have mostly used Bluetooth Sony XM3’s and AirPods Pro 2 lately

Otherwise I am looking for a decent portable amp that would work with my iPhone, to which I interpret can mean any amp and DAC combo with USB input

You can probably start with $5 iPhone lightning to 3.5mm dongle, it should be fine in this case.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,395 of 1,446
My w60 which for years have been my go-to IEM on the road have finally died. I like them due to the excellent fit and good sound once PEQ applied. If I could find a w80 or w60 at a good price used or on sale, would they be worth buying, or has the IEM world moved on so much the, say, £350 - £500 can be better spent elsewhere? I’ve been looking at things like the Moondrop Variations, to give one example, but no way to try before I buy and good fit is crucial. Any thoughts?

I’ll mainly be using them with an ibasso DX320.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back