Westone W80
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,066 of 1,446
Do you mean to say that the 4.4mm cable performance on balanced is nearly the same as the stock ALO's on 3.5mm unbalanced?
Would switching to a balanced connection with the cable be an upgrade over the ALO's on 3.5mm unbalanced?

Well, there are two things. iBasso hybrid cable uses a similar wire material as ALO ref8, so you get the same benefit of lower cable impedance (when compared to Epic - more conductors, lower impedance). Change in impedance plays an important role in sound tuning, especially with low impedance multi-BA monitors like W80, and the wire material also refines the sound to a degree (but I'm not opening that can of worms discussion :wink:). So, in terms of wiring they are similar, while ibasso cable has other ergonomics benefits as I mentioned above. Now, regarding balanced vs unbalanced. It really has nothing to do with a cable termination, but with your source and how you are driving your IEMs. I have tested multiple dozens of DAPs in the last 4 years. There are some designed to have balanced output to perform identical to single ended, some with balanced which sounds even worse than single ended, and others where balanced has a noticeable improvement. So it will depend on your source. Typically, if you have a cable terminated with 2.5mm balanced plug, you can use 3.5mm and 4.mm adaptors and then future-proof your cable for any source.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,067 of 1,446
Well, there are two things. iBasso hybrid cable uses a similar wire material as ALO ref8, so you get the same benefit of lower cable impedance (when compared to Epic - more conductors, lower impedance). Change in impedance plays an important role in sound tuning, especially with low impedance multi-BA monitors like W80, and the wire material also refines the sound to a degree (but I'm not opening that can of worms discussion :wink:). So, in terms of wiring they are similar, while ibasso cable has other ergonomics benefits as I mentioned above. Now, regarding balanced vs unbalanced. It really has nothing to do with a cable termination, but with your source and how you are driving your IEMs. I have tested multiple dozens of DAPs in the last 4 years. There are some designed to have balanced output to perform identical to single ended, some with balanced which sounds even worse than single ended, and others where balanced has a noticeable improvement. So it will depend on your source. Typically, if you have a cable terminated with 2.5mm balanced plug, you can use 3.5mm and 4.mm adaptors and then future-proof your cable for any source.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I was looking into getting a new dap with balanced options like the upcoming R6 Pro and was just wondering how a balanced cable one like the one above would compare to the ALO option on unbalanced. But i guess i was putting the cart before the horse given how neither are release as yet.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,068 of 1,446
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I was looking into getting a new dap with balanced options like the upcoming R6 Pro and was just wondering how a balanced cable one like the one above would compare to the ALO option on unbalanced. But i guess i was putting the cart before the horse given how neither are release as yet.

Well, that makes sense (4.4mm balanced cable), since you are looking into R6 Pro which going to have 4.4mm balanced port. Btw, it also should have low output impedance, unlike the original R6. The only problem, R6 Pro was announcement awhile ago and should have been out by the end of November, but so far no updates.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,070 of 1,446
Did anybody else see Westone posted on their site about W series sales while supplies last? That sounds like a clearance to me. Any comment on this @BKG22 , anything going to be announced by CanJam NYC?

westone_35off.png

Actually, I came across this while searching amazon for something, then double checked with westone site and saw that banner above. Btw, on westone site W60 is $699, while on amazon it's $649.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,071 of 1,446
Did anybody else see Westone posted on their site about W series sales while supplies last? That sounds like a clearance to me. Any comment on this @BKG22 , anything going to be announced by CanJam NYC?

Actually, I came across this while searching amazon for something, then double checked with westone site and saw that banner above. Btw, on westone site W60 is $699, while on amazon it's $649.

Typically .com is cheaper than.co.uk :frowning2: Even if it did ship cheaper then there's the chance of import fees and shipping which would eat the cost. Best we can do here is 15 percent off on amp3 if it's in stock.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,073 of 1,446
Hi. I’m kinda curious if anyone could or can compare the Earsonics S-EM-9 with the w80 sonically ? Thank you in advance.

Scroll down my review of W80 (from a few years ago) to Comparison section where I put it against S-EM9.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,075 of 1,446
Hmm, some probably seen @BKG22 posted a tease about upcoming W-series refresh in UM Pro thread here.

Also was mentioned about new shells and metal clips, plus bluetooth cable will be included.

Well, I got another tidbit of info about new W80. The original one had impedance 5 ohms, while the new one is going to be 25 ohms. Of course, I'm only speculating because I haven't heard the new W80, not yet :wink: but my common sense tells me if impedance changed - the sound tuning could be updated/refined. I hope the new line up will be at upcoming Canjam NYC since Westone is going to be there. Now curious to hear how it sounds.

10230496.jpg

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,076 of 1,446
Hmm, some probably seen @BKG22 posted a tease about upcoming W-series refresh in UM Pro thread here.

Also was mentioned about new shells and metal clips, plus bluetooth cable will be included.

Well, I got another tidbit of info about new W80. The original one had impedance 5 ohms, while the new one is going to be 25 ohms. Of course, I'm only speculating because I haven't heard the new W80, not yet :wink: but my common sense tells me if impedance changed - the sound tuning could be updated/refined. I hope the new line up will be at upcoming Canjam NYC since Westone is going to be there. Now curious to hear how it sounds.

Sadly I can't afford a new W80 to get a lower impedance rating, but I do have a several other options, for example the Shanling m0. Its supposed 0.16 ohm output impedance seems to get around this particular quirk of the current W80, well for me anyway.

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,077 of 1,446
Sadly I can't afford a new W80 to get a lower impedance rating, but I do have a several other options, for example the Shanling m0. Its supposed 0.16 ohm output impedance seems to get around this particular quirk of the current W80, well for me anyway.

Oh, I think you misunderstand me a bit :wink: I didn't mean the low impedance of the original W80 as a "quirk", it's a part of the design (crossover, drivers, etc). What I'm curious about is that something has been changed in the design and now I'm wondering if the sound will be updated. ES80 is not the same as W80 when it comes to the sound signature, while I believe drivers are the same but output impedance of ES80 is 80 ohms. So, i'm curious where this going to take W80. And, you do have a valid point that it's common with some very low impedance IEMs to have a slight hissing with some sources (though, that could depend on the source amplifier output stage design, not just output impedance). So, will be interesting to compare. Either way, UM Pro v2 refresh stepped it up, so now I'm curious about this W-series V2 refresh as well.

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,078 of 1,446
Oh, I think you misunderstand me a bit :wink: I didn't mean the low impedance of the original W80 as a "quirk", it's a part of the design (crossover, drivers, etc). What I'm curious about is that something has been changed in the design and now I'm wondering if the sound will be updated. ES80 is not the same as W80 when it comes to the sound signature, while I believe drivers are the same but output impedance of ES80 is 80 ohms. So, i'm curious where this going to take W80. And, you do have a valid point that it's common with some very low impedance IEMs to have a slight hissing with some sources (though, that could depend on the source amplifier output stage design, not just output impedance). So, will be interesting to compare. Either way, UM Pro v2 refresh stepped it up, so now I'm curious about this W-series V2 refresh as well.

No I did understand you I think. :wink: If the new model has a higher impedance as you infer, I'm sure it will sound different to the current one with most if not all sources whatever the driver and crossover choices Westone make.

I'm lucky in regards to IEM hissing, in that I just don't hear it with any IEM I own including the W80 (unless its present in the music itself). The W80 paired with the right source is a truly outstanding IEM, the new W80 does look very interesting and if my generation one W80 did break I would certainly consider replacing it with the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back