Mar 15, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #526 of 1,446
  Waiting on the porch when I got home.  Wow.  Just ... wow! :xf_eek:

pat----

They left it on your porch in the snow? 
eek.gif

Congrats! Amazing UIEMs!!!

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #529 of 1,446
Lol...fixed that.

I feel like they're so good I no longer have the burning desire to try customs. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself. The burning question every audiophile faces: how does it get better than this? Newton's third law states that for every audiophile question (action) there is an equal but opposite question (reaction): how much are you willing to pay?

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #530 of 1,446
Amazing depth...by depth I meant each note there is a long travel of echo (for lack of better term) right after it, sort of like singing in a large empty concert hall, the voice just travel into space. Very detail, I noticed vibrato in songs I dont hear often when I am listening with the W60, of course its there but I just dont notice it as much. Guitar feels very organic very surreal, I wish the mid were a little more recessed but it certainly not bad, it feels like it a little more forward than the W60. A little more bass than the W60, the bass is more detail, a little more "THUD" rather than "PPSSSHH", the bass went on a diet and got more define. Amazing seperation compare to the W60 you can really get lost in either the instrument or the voice of the singer if you concentrate hard enough. 

Comfort is really good as always, best in the bussiness in term of UIEM. Fit and finish is better than the W60, there are certainly no crazy lines or seemingly "cracks" anywhere. 

Some people says that the W40 to W60 is incemental and not worth the upgrade, the W80 is a big upgrade over the W60. Definitely worth the upgrade from W40.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #531 of 1,446
  Amazing depth...by depth I meant each note there is a long travel of echo (for lack of better term) right after it, sort of like singing in a large empty concert hall, the voice just travel into space. Very detail, I noticed vibrato in songs I dont hear often when I am listening with the W60, of course its there but I just dont notice it as much. Guitar feels very organic very surreal, I wish the mid were a little more recessed but it certainly not bad, it feels like it a little more forward than the W60. A little more bass than the W60, the bass is more detail, a little more "THUD" rather than "PPSSSHH", the bass went on a diet and got more define. Amazing seperation compare to the W60 you can really get lost in either the instrument or the voice of the singer if you concentrate hard enough. 

Comfort is really good as always, best in the bussiness in term of UIEM. Fit and finish is better than the W60, there are certainly no crazy lines or seemingly "cracks" anywhere. 

Some people says that the W40 to W60 is incemental and not worth the upgrade, the W80 is a big upgrade over the W60. Definitely worth the upgrade from W40.

How many hours do you have on these?  Or better yet, are you using it with Ref8 cable and how many hours did you clock with that cable?
wink.gif

Ken's cable definitely benefits from a burn in, especially if you let W80 w/Ref8 play in a loop for a day or two, to avoid a brain burn in while listening.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #532 of 1,446

How many hours do you have on these?  Or better yet, are you using it with Ref8 cable and how many hours did you clock with that cable?
wink.gif

Ken's cable definitely benefits from a burn in, especially if you let W80 w/Ref8 play in a loop for a day or two, to avoid a brain burn in while listening.

not long, I dont like the Alo cable, I am rocking it with my Silver dragon which probaly seen too many hours and I dont have the patience to wait that long :D

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #533 of 1,446
last night was the craziest thing ever. I had my W80 in my ear, as I lay down, I plug it into my Iphone 5, I guess pandora started without me knowing, so I thought the music was from my laptop personal speakers, I jumped up and start checking my laptop, make sure I turned everything off quickly as to not wake up the whole house. Turned out it was the IEM, its very crazy how out of head this thing feels.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #534 of 1,446
  last night was the craziest thing ever. I had my W80 in my ear, as I lay down, I plug it into my Iphone 5, I guess pandora started without me knowing, so I thought the music was from my laptop personal speakers, I jumped up and start checking my laptop, make sure I turned everything off quickly as to not wake up the whole house. Turned out it was the IEM, its very crazy how out of head this thing feels.

You guys can call me crazy (go ahead lol!!!) cause I'm a cable believer
biggrin.gif
but since you mentioned about using silver dragon cable, I also find silver wires to add more sparkle to the sound which leads to more airiness, and as a result the perception of the sound (to my ears) expands, staging becomes wider/deeper.  That's almost like what you are describing.  W80 soundstage is wide to begin with, Westone always intended W-series for consumers/audiophiles while UM Pro for performing musicians (where you don't want the sound to be too wide when you monitoring it on stage), but I think cable adds another layer to that dimension.  I'm not talking about change of sound, just a perception how you hear it when using silver cable.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #535 of 1,446

You guys can call me crazy (go ahead lol!!!) cause I'm a cable believer
biggrin.gif
but since you mentioned about using silver dragon cable, I also find silver wires to add more sparkle to the sound which leads to more airiness, and as a result the perception of the sound (to my ears) expands, staging becomes wider/deeper.  That's almost like what you are describing.  W80 soundstage is wide to begin with, Westone always intended W-series for consumers/audiophiles while UM Pro for performing musicians (where you don't want the sound to be too wide when you monitoring it on stage), but I think cable adds another layer to that dimension.  I'm not talking about change of sound, just a perception how you hear it when using silver cable.

yes the ALO cable is very good but the reason I dont like it is its a little stiff and produce microphonic which irritate me but it does sound very good!

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #536 of 1,446
I know I said it the other day, but I don't know how to put it any better ... Wow! Just ... wow! :xf_eek:

I've had my new W80's in my ears since shortly before 8am and just took them out for a meeting and there was absolutely NO soreness, irritation, discomfort or anything! My ears never felt warm/hot/sweaty or anything. It was just ... wow!

And the sound! Much of today has been spent listening to FLAC's I ripped from CD, so they're limited to 16/44.1, but ... I'm hearing things I've never heard in recordings I've listed to thousands of times for well over a decade!! It's like a whole new experience! :xf_eek:

I like these! :D
pat----

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #537 of 1,446

Definitely one of the best "out of your head" sounding IEMs I've ever heard!

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #538 of 1,446
Hi there is anyone using these with an AK300 ? If so are you pleased with the match?
I am looking for some new in ears after a little accident tonight with my other pair.

Any guidance really appreciated

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #539 of 1,446
Hi there is anyone using these with an AK300 ? If so are you pleased with the match?
I am looking for some new in ears after a little accident tonight with my other pair.

Any guidance really appreciated

Hahaha, so are you trying to decide if you should get either W60 or W80 for your AK300
wink.gif
  Saw your post in W60 thread as well.

I don't have AK300, but read plenty from trusted sources where they mention it being on a warmer, smoother side.  Both W60 and W80 should pair up fine, but you will get a more resolving sound with W80 by nature of its sound sig difference.  Just keep in mind sound difference also comes with a price difference.  But in general, you can't go wrong with either one.

When you say your "other pair", which one are you talking about?  You copy'n'pasted the same post in both W60 and W80 threads, so I'm not sure.  And if you are OK with your other pair synergy with AK300, why not get the same?  Or perhaps you were looking for some improvement over the other pair?  If so, what improvement?

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #540 of 1,446
Iv had these on loan for a week now, disappointed in the sound and build quality for such high price. the sound is just not there in my opinion but the cable is absolutley fantastic quality and the case and accessories are great aslo, definitely the best parts of the package. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back