Westone W80
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #496 of 1,446

here is my friend W60 after close to 3 years of ownership. The black piece literally fall out as he takes it out of his ear. Due to Twister request, I'm not going to reply to anymore trolls or any hardcore fanboys but this is proof that quality needs to be better! and before anyone says that he need to take care of his IEM better, just shut up, no one own a 1k IEM and throw it around like an apple earbud.

P.S look at post #284 if you think I'm just trolling Westone.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #497 of 1,446

this was sent directly from Westone. when I purchased a new set of W60, the slanted "crack" looking line does not apear on the other ear piece.

I immediately initiate a return.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #498 of 1,446
In case anyone is interested, I suggest this article:

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/adventures-in-statistics-2/why-anecdotal-evidence-is-unreliable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Might expand your mind. I am a Professional Engineer who's worked in the high reliability manufacturing world and lead a team of Product/Process AND Quality Engineers and the information above is quite invaluable. 

Playing around with the eartips with these IEMs and I really like the Shure olives with them...anyone else try these?

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #500 of 1,446
  I haven't, are the Shure olives these ones? 

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-pa910-5-pair-olive-eartips-for-shure-westone-klipsch-and-etymotic.html

Correct. The one quirk with them is to remove them, I'd recommend putting them (with the IEMs) in your freezer for 30 seconds to harden the eartip and they pop right off quite easily; otherwise it can be a bit too finnicky.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #502 of 1,446
  Thanks, I will order some. Odd that cooling them down helps removal.

They have the added bonus of offering excellent comfort and noise isolation and don't shave too much off the top like the Comply eartips can.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #504 of 1,446
  In case anyone is interested, I suggest this article:

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/adventures-in-statistics-2/why-anecdotal-evidence-is-unreliable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Might expand your mind. I am a Professional Engineer who's worked in the high reliability manufacturing world and lead a team of Product/Process AND Quality Engineers and the information above is quite invaluable. 

Playing around with the eartips with these IEMs and I really like the Shure olives with them...anyone else try these?

Yep, the same here!!!  I need to use large eartips, the one with an orange marking, my earcanal insertion is wide and shallow.  Large eartips form a perfect seal, BUT they are too long for my ears.  So, I also switched to using Shure olive silicone tips.  They are a little shorter so Westone shells don't stick out too far.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #505 of 1,446

Yep, the same here!!!  I need to use large eartips, the one with an orange marking, my earcanal insertion is wide and shallow.  Large eartips form a perfect seal, BUT they are too long for my ears.  So, I also switched to using Shure olive silicone tips.  They are a little shorter so Westone shells don't stick out too far.

Yep...same thing with me, but I use the medium eartips. But the shorter length helps further.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #506 of 1,446
I currently own a pair of Westone W40 which I plan to replace with the W80. I bought the "Ultra-Thin Balanced 52 Inch Cable" directly from Westone a while back and I'm using the cable for my W40 in combination with my DP-X1, they really sound great. Is anybody using these cables with a pair of W80 and can tell me if they're a good match up? It's a shame I wont be using the highly praised Ref 8 Cable that's included with my DP-X1 since it's not a balanced cable.. but I'll probably get an LG V20 as well so I'll be using them with the SE there : )

by the way, I'll be selling my Westone W40, they're brand new and only a few months old, in mint condition and everything has been handled very carefully, with the complete accessories and the Box and everything the W40 came with, if anybody is interested send me a PM with a price offer, I will be shipping them from Switzerland. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #507 of 1,446
  I currently own a pair of Westone W40 which I plan to replace with the W80. I bought the "Ultra-Thin Balanced 52 Inch Cable" directly from Westone a while back and I'm using the cable for my W40 in combination with my DP-X1, they really sound great. Is anybody using these cables with a pair of W80 and can tell me if they're a good match up? It's a shame I wont be using the highly praised Ref 8 Cable that's included with my DP-X1 since it's not a balanced cable.. but I'll probably get an LG V20 as well so I'll be using them with the SE there : )

by the way, I'll be selling my Westone W40, they're brand new and only a few months old, in mint condition and everything has been handled very carefully, with the complete accessories and the Box and everything the W40 came with, if anybody is interested send me a PM with a price offer, I will be shipping them from Switzerland. 

I don't have experience with DP-X1, but do you hear a big difference between single ended and balanced outputs?  Many DAPs I tried in the past had a subtle soundstage expansion when going balanced, and the only noticeable change was higher output power.  I noticed that Ken's Ref 8 widens sounstage to my ears, so who knows, you might get a similar effect using balanced cable (Linum BaX which you purchased from Westone) as you would with Ref 8 single ended cable.  Wait till you get a chance to test both and let us know.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #508 of 1,446

I don't have experience with DP-X1, but do you hear a big difference between single ended and balanced outputs?  Many DAPs I tried in the past had a subtle soundstage expansion when going balanced, and the only noticeable change was higher output power.  I noticed that Ken's Ref 8 widens sounstage to my ears, so who knows, you might get a similar effect using balanced cable (Linum BaX which you purchased from Westone) as you would with Ref 8 single ended cable.  Wait till you get a chance to test both and let us know.

I have the Pioneer xdp-300r, I agree with you there is very little difference between balanced and single ended. For me its simply making use of the twin DAC's and headphone amps, if I don't use balanced then I might as well have saved the money and got the xdp-100r

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #509 of 1,446
@SteveOliver @twister6

I used to feel the same. And then I heard the Beyerdynamic AK T8iE-II via balanced on the Onkyo DP-X1. Holy [expletive]! It was night and day for me. Crisper highs; deeper bass; massive 3D soundstage that's simultaneously wide and "in your face"... I couldn't understand the balanced-out hype until I heard that combo. Until then, I though exactly as you described: some improvements in sound stage. But that pairing totally changed my mind about what balanced can achieve.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #510 of 1,446
  @SteveOliver @twister6

I used to feel the same. And then I heard the Beyerdynamic AK T8iE-II via balanced on the Onkyo DP-X1. Holy [expletive]! It was night and day for me. Crisper highs; deeper bass; massive 3D soundstage that's simultaneously wide and "in your face"... I couldn't understand the balanced-out hype until I heard that combo. Until then, I though exactly as you described: some improvements in sound stage. But that pairing totally changed my mind about what balanced can achieve.

Interesting, I'm not spending any more money though at the moment, I just got the W80 :)

On the subject of the W80. The Shure Olive tips arrived this morning I've been listening with them for around 3 hours and so far I like them, thanks MacedonianHero for the advice, I've been meaning to try them for a while but didn't know which ones to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back