Westone W80
Mar 20, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #541 of 1,446
Hahaha, so are you trying to decide if you should get either W60 or W80 for your AK300 :wink:   Saw your post in W60 thread as well.

I don't have AK300, but read plenty from trusted sources where they mention it being on a warmer, smoother side.  Both W60 and W80 should pair up fine, but you will get a more resolving sound with W80 by nature of its sound sig difference.  Just keep in mind sound difference also comes with a price difference.  But in general, you can't go wrong with either one.

When you say your "other pair", which one are you talking about?  You copy'n'pasted the same post in both W60 and W80 threads, so I'm not sure.  And if you are OK with your other pair synergy with AK300, why not get the same?  Or perhaps you were looking for some improvement over the other pair?  If so, what improvement?

Yes I have a shortlist and they both on it but the W80 probably a little out of my range, although I may stretch the budget
The other pair I referred to are some old beyerdynamics. They sound dreadful with the AK300 but they were very cheap

Sitting now with my HE1000 on my head, but they are not really beach wear :grinning: And my Ak300 will be mainly for portable use
Thanks for the input

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #542 of 1,446

Hahaha, so are you trying to decide if you should get either W60 or W80 for your AK300
wink.gif
  Saw your post in W60 thread as well.

I don't have AK300, but read plenty from trusted sources where they mention it being on a warmer, smoother side.  Both W60 and W80 should pair up fine, but you will get a more resolving sound with W80 by nature of its sound sig difference.  Just keep in mind sound difference also comes with a price difference.  But in general, you can't go wrong with either one.

When you say your "other pair", which one are you talking about?  You copy'n'pasted the same post in both W60 and W80 threads, so I'm not sure.  And if you are OK with your other pair synergy with AK300, why not get the same?  Or perhaps you were looking for some improvement over the other pair?  If so, what improvement?

Yes I have a shortlist and they both on it but the W80 probably a little out of my range, although I may stretch the budget
The other pair I referred to are some old beyerdynamics. They sound dreadful with the AK300 but they were very cheap

Sitting now with my HE1000 on my head, but they are not really beach wear :grinning: And my Ak300 will be mainly for portable use
Thanks for the input

Wonder if those were Beyer XP50ie or MXP50ie, their budget iems.  Typically, those iems are warm and bassy, thus probably not the best pair up with Ak300.  If you want to stick with Westone, how about going with either W30 or UMPro30, those might not have as high resolution as as W60 or W80, but they pair up better with warmer sources.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #543 of 1,446
  Iv had these on loan for a week now, disappointed in the sound and build quality for such high price. the sound is just not there in my opinion but the cable is absolutley fantastic quality and the case and accessories are great aslo, definitely the best parts of the package. 

lol I felt the opposite with the cable...too stiff and microphonic, the sound is westone warmth signature, I thought it was significant improvement over W60. You might like the shure more, typically its one or the other camp. yea build quality aint that great.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #544 of 1,446
lol I felt the opposite with the cable...too stiff and microphonic, the sound is westone warmth signature, I thought it was significant improvement over W60. You might like the shure more, typically its one or the other camp. yea build quality aint that great.

I like the sound of the W80 but it just doesn't compete with other top of the line offerings, same as the the SE846, for that to be worth it the sound stage needed to be bigger and also needs the treble fixing because it sounds like it hits a brick wall after 8kHz. It's not even close to the Andromeda imo. I think the w80s compete with iems around the £500-600 mark.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #545 of 1,446
I like the sound of the W80 but it just doesn't compete with other top of the line offerings, same as the the SE846, for that to be worth it the sound stage needed to be bigger and also needs the treble fixing because it sounds like it hits a brick wall after 8kHz. It's not even close to the Andromeda imo. I think the w80s compete with iems around the £500-600 mark.

Problem is how is the comfort of the andromeda compare to westone? I dont think anyone can beat westone in term of ergonomic

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #546 of 1,446

Problem is how is the comfort of the andromeda compare to westone? I dont think anyone can beat westone in term of ergonomic

Actually, the bigger problem is that we tend to compare and then force ourselves into a conclusion where one pair has to be "bad" and another one "good".  In reality it's about differences and preferences to suite individual taste.  I covered W80 vs Andromeda comparison in my W80 review.  If you want a brighter sound with more punch, go with Andromeda.  If you want smoother and more organic sound, W80.  Andromeda is all metal with a heavier shell while W80 is plastic and lightweight.  Ironically, Ref8 cable included with W80 is designed by Ken Ball who is behind Campfire Audio and ALO.  W80 and Andromeda don't overlap or compete, they compliment each other.  Both high quality, and each suited for different audience.  Just like you have different audience for W80 vs SE846.  For me personally, the ergonomics of SE846 shell design is not good, can't keep them in my ears for more than 10-15min, and their tuning is not my cup of tea either.  So, just because it doesn't fit anatomy of my ears or I don't like the tuning, it doesn't make them bad cause we still got many people who enjoy them, just like many people enjoy Westone iems.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #547 of 1,446

Thats true the comfort is excellent but wheres the sound quality for £1,200? not in the W80. i dont think there is a universal iem with the comfort of westone but the true TOTL SQ from campire andromeda, noble k10E, SEM9. they have well made but big or akward shells.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #548 of 1,446
Thats true the comfort is excellent but wheres the sound quality for £1,200? not in the W80. i dont think there is a universal iem with the comfort of westone but the true TOTL SQ from campire andromeda, noble k10E, SEM9. they have well made but big or akward shells.

I will gladly take ergonomic over sound. A long flight will make you think twice about the w80 hahah

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #549 of 1,446
I will gladly take ergonomic over sound. A long flight will make you think twice about the w80 hahah

You could get some really nice sounding customs at that price though that do have totl sound and will be more comfortable.

I've been looking around to see if anyone else thinks the same and I'm glad it's not just me with the opinion.

https://youtu.be/3A0vCQojbn4

It's not a bad earphone I'm not trying to put it down I'm just saying that in my opinion it's priced way too high.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #550 of 1,446

You could get some really nice sounding customs at that price though that do have totl sound and will be more comfortable.

I've been looking around to see if anyone else thinks the same and I'm glad it's not just me with the opinion.

It's not a bad earphone I'm not trying to put it down I'm just saying that in my opinion it's priced way too high.

It's just not your cup of tea, that's all.  And since you quoting Sonny's subjective review from inearspace, you probably noticed that he is comparing it mostly to bright IEMs, clearly stating his biased preference for another sound signature.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #553 of 1,446

I cant convince you otherwise, simply I havent heard other IEM, but the Westone really compliment my signature along side with Mrspeakers Ether C, albeit the Ether C is more neutral sound and W80 is a tad warmth...then on the other side of the spectrum the T1 is also my favorite open headphone. Maybe I'll try the Andromeda some day, but right now I really like the W80. It's what I wish the W60 would improved on, everything except the build quality, I wish it would be a tad better, it still looks cheap, but a step better than the W40-W60.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #554 of 1,446
How do the w80's compare to the campfire vega's?

I'm starting to work on Vega review soon, will include W80 comparison for sure!

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #555 of 1,446
Twister6 is spot on when saying there's no better or worse IEM but the one that fit your needs
I have W80 for about 2 weeks and package contents and comfort are really impresssive.
Soundwise they lean toward the warm side with detailed and lush mids but I'm finding a slight midbass emphasis and lacking a bit more punch.
Not sure it will change with burn in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back