Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #827 of 1,957
  Definitely avoid W40. Jump into W60 if you can.

Little justifications/explications will be welcome 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #829 of 1,957
  Little justifications/explications will be welcome 
rolleyes.gif

The W40 is an excellent way to get a feel for westone product, and its an excellent little brother to the W60. I had both and love both, it broke my heart to sell it, but I really dont need 2 IEM.

Westone 50 is for Bass head, its very very heavy bass, I dont like it, and I dont believe many here will like it. Its a different beast all on its own, its more like a fancy Dr. Dre Beat

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #832 of 1,957
  I want opinion here from acoustic music listener (jazz/classical). I already test Shure 535/846, Grado GR10, ie800, ie80, Etymotics sound, and I want to give a try to Westone now.

I'm looking in order of priority, a neutral & balanced warm sound, can be laid back but with a looooooot of definition. Not mids forward like Shure 535, or too much deep bass emphasis like Shure 846. I prefer balance bass that sound very precise (very important on jazz with acoustic bass), instead of too much deep bass (that is awsome for rock, but not for classical/jazz). I didn't like treble on ie800, too bright for my taste, I'm very sensitive in that range), Grado GR10 (not e) was not my cup of tea too (sadly, because what a nice fitting in the ear), I found piano sonata a lot too aggressive for my taste, but on vocal, what a nice fit. Of course all this it's a question of taste, they are not facts, but observations/experiences. So, please, it's not a debate on my perception, but want recommendation base on my "subjective observation/perception/experience". So, guys, for acoustical music, base on my experiences, W40 or W60 you recommend to me ? (or maybe, even a W20?) I don't mind/care of prices here, but I learn that expensive doesn't always mean better in audio too. I'm just looking for a sound that fit MY taste. If it cost $300 fine, I'll save for something else (a better DAC,etc), but if it "need" to cost $1500, well, bad for my wallet, but, finally, my ear will have gratitude for me 
rolleyes.gif

I've owned the SE535s twice and they were quite good; then I heard the SE846s (all three filters a few separate times) and I felt let down a bit. I've always been a Westone fan (owned the W3, and W4) so the W60s were a logical next step for me. They have 6 drivers (2 bass, 2 mids, 2 tweeters) and 2 crossovers...Westone's never been afraid to push the technological boundaries so to speak; while Shure is more "conservative" here.

That said, after a few weeks with my W60s, I'm enthralled with them. They have a deep natural bass (that sounds better controlled on my AK240SS), the mids aren't so "in your face" as the Shures and a bit more "real" sounding...and the treble is on the sweet side while never strident, nor shrill.  So 2 weeks in, I'm a really happy camper!

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #833 of 1,957
  Westone's never been afraid to push the technological boundaries so to speak; while Shure is more "conservative" here.

Sorry but I can't agree. The W60 is 3x dual BA's with a 3 way crossover, Westone just stuffed them in a small housing, they didn't exactly innovate much on their own. The SE846 also using 3 way crossover technically has more innovation with it's low pass filter and exchangeable filters, Shure also designs their own BA's while Westone uses off the shelf BA's. Also bear in mind that the BA's in the W60 are smaller than the BA's in the SE846, which would likely mean 846 has more headroom (higher power ceiling, lower distortion rate). Just to be clear, I dislike both Shure and Westone house sound.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #834 of 1,957

Sorry but I can't agree. The W60 is 3x dual BA's with a 3 way crossover, Westone just stuffed them in a small housing, they didn't exactly innovate much on their own. The SE846 also using 3 way crossover technically has more innovation with it's low pass filter and exchangeable filters, Shure also designs their own BA's while Westone uses off the shelf BA's. Also bear in mind that the BA's in the W60 are smaller than the BA's in the SE846, which would likely mean 846 has more headroom (higher power ceiling, lower distortion rate). Just to be clear, I dislike both Shure and Westone house sound.

You can't agree that 6 > 4? The exchangeable filters IMO are gimicky and cumbersome.

Have you heard either IEM? I've preferred the W3s to the SE530s and W4s to the SE535s (only a tweak of the SE530) and that trend continues with the W60s over the SE846s.

For technology, so far the Layla's are the best IEMs I've heard (12 drivers, etc...). But come in 2.5 the cost of either of the SE846 and W60.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #835 of 1,957
@MacedonianHero - Did you just state that more BA is always better than less?  Even though they may be smaller and dual BAs?  Both use 3 way crossovers.  If Westone was using a 6 way crossover I'd call it less of a marketing gimmick.  Why are the exchangeable filters gimmicky when they do change the sound?  I haven't heard the W60's so can't really comment on the sound, but I do think that the SE846 lacks crystal clear top end and the mids/vocals are very forward.  The powerful bass works for most modern music I listen to.  I still prefer my IE800s more, but these are good for different types of music.  BTW the IE800 is only one driver, so I guess that makes it worse in your mind?  

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #836 of 1,957
  @MacedonianHero - Did you just state that more BA is always better than less?  Even though they may be smaller and dual BAs?  Both use 3 way crossovers.  If Westone was using a 6 way crossover I'd call it less of a marketing gimmick.  Why are the exchangeable filters gimmicky when they do change the sound?  I haven't heard the W60's so can't really comment on the sound, but I do think that the SE846 lacks crystal clear top end and the mids/vocals are very forward.  The powerful bass works for most modern music I listen to.  I still prefer my IE800s more, but these are good for different types of music.  BTW the IE800 is only one driver, so I guess that makes it worse in your mind?  

I found the filters on the SE846s cumbersome and gimicky...the tuning dial on the Layla, Roxannes or Angies is far simpler to use. With IEMs its about miniaturization, and getting more in there is part  of the story (but still an important part, the Layla's sound sublime!). In the end, where the "rubber" hits the road is how it sounds and I prefer the W60s to the SE846s. The measurements of the SE846s on innerfidelity.com have also taken a step back to the SE535s. 
blink.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #837 of 1,957

Different technology. Dynamic driver vs Balanced Armature drivers. The more BA's the best to catch up a good dynamic driver. Anyways, I always felt that a 3 way crossover setup has better instrument separation and precision than a dynamic driver.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #838 of 1,957
The only thing that suppose to interest us, is, SQ, comfort, and third, the ratio performance/price. Price depend on your budget. Removing price from the equation, we want the one that sound better than the other, that's all. I have the 846, and yes, I change filter, depend on what tips I use, comply, or silicone. It's a flexibility I like on 846, that westone don't have. It's a fact.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #839 of 1,957
The only thing that suppose to interest us, is, SQ, comfort, and third, the ratio performance/price. Price depend on your budget. Removing price from the equation, we want the one that sound better than the other, that's all. I have the 846, and yes, I change filter, depend on what tips I use, comply, or silicone. It's a flexibility I like on 846, that westone don't have. It's a fact.

And it's a shame.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #840 of 1,957

I'm glad you're happy with them. That said, I couldn't get into the SE846s regardless of the filter. The W60s hit the spot. The Shure non-neutral filters were just "off" for me and I'd never use them (that's a fact for me
smile.gif
). Fit and comfort goes to Westone for me. Noise isolation is quite dependent on the eartips used. Thankfully they are interchangeable between the Shures and Westones...so it's a wash. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back