Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #841 of 1,957
I'm glad you're happy with them. That said, I couldn't get into the SE846s regardless of the filter. The W60s hit the spot. The Shure non-neutral filters were just "off" for me and I'd never use them (that's a fact for me :smile: ). Fit and comfort goes to Westone for me. Noise isolation is quite dependent on the eartips used. Thankfully they are interchangeable between the Shures and Westones...so it's a wash. 

I never said that I'm happy with them :wink:, if you red my previous post, I'm looking to try something else now. Westone, and ask, w40 or w60 for jazz/classical music. 846 have too much bass emphasis for my taste.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #842 of 1,957
I never said that I'm happy with them
wink.gif
, if you red my previous post, I'm looking to try something else now. Westone, and ask, w40 or w60 for jazz/classical music. 846 have too much bass emphasis for my taste.

The W60s don't have the bass emphasis as the 846s, but they still may have too much for you. I suggest you look at the Angies. 
redface.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #845 of 1,957
W40 bass may be sufficient for the majority but it's not a bass heavy IEM at all.

Good, I don't look for deep bass, I'm looking for precise bass. Balance sound. Jazz hate too much bass, that can ruin a trio.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #846 of 1,957

Sorry but I can't agree. The W60 is 3x dual BA's with a 3 way crossover, Westone just stuffed them in a small housing, they didn't exactly innovate much on their own. The SE846 also using 3 way crossover technically has more innovation with it's low pass filter and exchangeable filters, Shure also designs their own BA's while Westone uses off the shelf BA's. Also bear in mind that the BA's in the W60 are smaller than the BA's in the SE846, which would likely mean 846 has more headroom (higher power ceiling, lower distortion rate). Just to be clear, I dislike both Shure and Westone house sound.

All I know is the Shure SE846 has the distinction of the IEM I returned the quickest.....

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #847 of 1,957

W40 bass may be sufficient for the majority but it's not a bass heavy IEM at all.

Good, I don't look for deep bass, I'm looking for precise bass. Balance sound. Jazz hate too much bass, that can ruin a trio.

You're definitely a perfect candidate for W60.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #848 of 1,957
I didn't like the SE846 at first too.  It was really disappointing, but after a while it sounded better.  Switching back to the IE800s and back didn't make them sound worse.  I'm eventually going to have to try the JHs.  I'm not sure if I want those big earpieces sticking out though. Yesterday I saw a guy with some Sony IEMs and they stuck out so much, it was pretty funny.  I think the XBA's (hybrid dynamic with BA).  It's not the same construction I know, but the JH's still look pretty big.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #851 of 1,957
Anyone can compare the W60 with the UM Pro 50?

My detailed W60 review with comparison to W40, UM Pro 50, and SE846.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-w60-signature-series-6-driver-universal-fit-in-ear-headphones/reviews/13390

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #852 of 1,957
After reading your review and so many impressions on head-fi, I still can't seem to decide which IEM to get
triportsad.gif
, SE846 or W60? If I were to get one for absolute versatility of musical genres, which one would you pick?

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #853 of 1,957
  After reading your review and so many impressions on head-fi, I still can't seem to decide which IEM to get
triportsad.gif
, SE846 or W60? If I were to get one for absolute versatility of musical genres, which one would you pick?

No one will ever be able to make up your mind for you. W60 more laid back, SE846 more aggressive. It comes down to a sound preference.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #854 of 1,957

triportsad.gif

No one will ever be able to make up your mind for you. W60 more laid back, SE846 more aggressive. It comes down to a sound preference.

That's where UM Pro 50 comes in as a happy medium: laid back smoother characteristics of W-series with a more aggressive low end of 846.  And for $649 (or maybe a better price if you can find it) - it's the best 5-driver value among 4-driver 846 and 6-driver W60.  Don't want to start an argument again since negative 846 comments rub people the wrong way, but I did give them a try for almost 2 weeks using my friends pair, going through different filters and cables, etc.  Maybe after an extended continuous listening your brain can adjust to their sound sig, but I found them to sound artificial.  Doing a/b comparison with Westones didn't help either because you get a big contrast shock going from smooth to more harsh.  And btw, I'm not saying W60 is a godsend.  If you like a detailed revealing sound - W60 in general is not for you.  Perhaps adding universal versions of Noble or 1964 should be on the plate for comparison as well?

Btw^2, as a side note, I don't have AudioQuest Nighthawk but have read plenty of impressions and reviews.  Seems they are describing these cans exactly like W60.  Further reading revealed that Skylar Gray, the sound designer behind Nighthawk, joined AQ from Westone.  Coincidence?  I think NOT
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #855 of 1,957
Kind of true, if you want something that would sound super smooth and pleasant to listening to, then there's nothing better than the W60 (especially in balanced mode), they will even make low resolution MP3 files sound smooth and listenable. If you want something more aggressive and punchy, definitely the SE846. Otherwise the Noble Kaiser 10 is another good alternative, smoother than the SE846 but more aggressive than the W60, one of the most accurate sounding IEMs around. For some reason, I cannot stand the Pro 50, they just sound totally wrong and unappealing to me, can't listening to them for more than a few minutes, the bass is just too boomy and muddy for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back