Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #796 of 1,957

One solution, switch to Shure olive silicone tips, those silicone tips that come with your SE846.  Those are the only tips I'm using with my Westone's now (you can get them at Sweetwater for about $10 shipped for 5 pairs of any size).

Twister, would you be so kind to post a link, please?

Shure
biggrin.gif

Large: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10L
Medium: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10M
Small: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EASFX1-10S

Each one has original Shure packaging, comes with 5 pairs of the same size and a cleaning tool, shipped for $11.59 and you also get sweetwater 2-year warranty.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #797 of 1,957
  I have been on the hunt for a high end, highly portable, comfortable IEM. I have moved from the IE800s (man, that cable) to the SE846s (mids a touch rough, treble clarity/sparkle a little lacking for my tastes). The W60's have consistently provided the best comfort and sound signature among the high end universal IEMs I have tried in store, but twice a tip was left in my ear canal during removal. I found the tips would slide off pretty easily with just a gentle tug. The Shure SE846s, in comparison, require a lot of effort to work them off.

It happened to me a few times with the Shure 530s years ago when they were my main portable, but with others that I have used Klipsch X10s, JVC FX500s, IE800s, SE846s it has not ever been an issue. Perhaps my ear canals are build like Chinese finger traps, but considering the ease with which I could slide off the tips in the store demo models, I was expecting quite a bit of discussion on this topic in this thread. I did find one other complaint about it much earlier in the thread but am wondering if more people have had this happen to them. Perhaps the tips in the store were just old and stretched out.

Still, a few questions...

1. Any regular users have this experience, even just once or twice?

2. Has anyone come up with a foolproof work-around (I am thinking that wrapping a little medical tape around the nozzle)?

3. Are there tips that fit well with the W60s that are notoriously tight-fitting?

If the store demo is representative of what I would get, it is a deal-breaker for me, no question, but with the lack of success of with the others high end IEMs I have tried, I am willing to look a little closer to see if this is a really a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is an issue.  I have had similar experience with my UMPro30s but only with the star tips.  I think the contributing factors may vary from individual to individual but it has been mentioned on this website before (see W40 thread and it might be on the UMPro30 thread as well).  I have stopped using the star tips and have purchased the Shure olive tips (very snug & perfect).  I also use the Westone foam tip which seems to be more snug. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #798 of 1,957

I have no issue with the tips slipping off either.  I currently love the Shure EABKF1 foam tips.  They are the perfect size for me vs the foam tips that came with my W60.  The Shure tips sounded warmer than I would like so I had to modify it by removing the plastic filter blocking the high frequencies.  

So no problem here so far so good.  On a second note, has anyone compared the W60 to JHAudio Angie?  I heard that the JHAudio Angie are big and heavy. 

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #799 of 1,957
The tips do slip off more easily if the stem gets oily. It helps to clean up the earpiece with a microfibre cloth every now and then.

I think Westone has it about right, though. With the Shure SE535 I found it annoyingly difficult to get the tips on and off.

I use the Comply P-series as I find it superior to any of the Westone tips.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #800 of 1,957
Jul 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #802 of 1,957
I DO agree that the STAR tips tend to slide off the Westone nozzle quite easily but I haven't gotten one stuck in my ear yet.

Every couple weeks I douse a Q-tip in alcohol and insert through the inner  silicone tip as well as clean the nozzle as well to keep the body oil at bay.  Not sure how much it helps.....
Beyond that, as far as keeping the tip on more secure.....really not sure what better options are.  Again, I am not having a problem with the tips sliding off but if I were to take it a next step I would......

cut a piece or friction tape in a length that represents the nozzle length.  Probably would only need about a quarter inch square piece.  Wrap around the nozzle and I gotta think, from there, the silicone tip would stick pretty good to that tape..

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #803 of 1,957
So today I picked up a pair of W60s. Had some $ to burn from my AK100II sale and I wanted a top flight IEM for my new AK240SS. Listened to them all morning and they are pure Westone. I owned both the W3 and W4 and loved them both (so the W60s were pretty much a no brainer), but these are something special! They are more balanced and sound very wide open.

I've heard the SE846 on several occasions (with all the filters) and kept coming away with the fact that I preferred the SE535s still. These are definitely a step up from the SE535s...not on the same level of the Layla's, but then again, no IEM I've heard is (plus many TOTL full sized headphones).

I can't believe Westone squeezed in 6 drivers into these tiny and light IEMs? Very comfortable so far after a few hours and man do they sound "open".
But so far...
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #804 of 1,957
  So today I picked up a pair of W60s. Had some $ to burn from my AK100II sale and I wanted a top flight IEM for my new AK240SS. Listened to them all morning and they are pure Westone. I owned both the W3 and W4 and loved them both (so the W60s were pretty much a no brainer), but these are something special! They are more balanced and sound very wide open.

I've heard the SE846 on several occasions (with all the filters) and kept coming away with the fact that I preferred the SE535s still. These are definitely a step up from the SE535s...not on the same level of the Layla's, but then again, no IEM I've heard is (plus many TOTL full sized headphones).

I can't believe Westone squeezed in 6 drivers into these tiny and light IEMs? Very comfortable so far after a few hours and man do they sound "open".
But so far...
L3000.gif

The only other thing you need Peter is to switch to a quality pure silver cable with a balanced 2.5mm to take it up another notch with your AK240SS
wink.gif

And yes, I do agree it's amazing how Westone is able to use the same housing between W30/40/50/60 and still able to squeeze in all the drivers, though I'm pretty sure there are 3x double BA driver blocks in W60.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #806 of 1,957

The only other thing you need Peter is to switch to a quality pure silver cable with a balanced 2.5mm to take it up another notch with your AK240SS
wink.gif

And yes, I do agree it's amazing how Westone is able to use the same housing between W30/40/50/60 and still able to squeeze in all the drivers, though I'm pretty sure there are 3x double BA driver blocks in W60.

Pure copper litz sounded miles better than silver or silver litz to me.  YMMV.  I owned 3 cables and ran them all balanced for nearly 1 year.  

I'll definitely pick one up over the summer. Not sure which way to go. I've owned copper liitz (currently have two Q-Cables) and owned and loved the Moon Audio Silver Dragon for my LCD-3s. Not sure which way I'll go.

In other news, sitting down tonight with my W60s and my AK240SS and they do indeed scale with a better source/amplifier (at work I was using my iPhone). They sound sublime. They still retain that Westone "sweet" sound that I've come to know and love over the years, but this time, a bit less of it and more balanced overall. Any more bass would be too much IMO. They are quick and open sounding and very musical. 

More to come...

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #807 of 1,957

wink.gif

Someone needs to crack a W60 open to see if it really has 3x double BA drivers inside.  One that is not working off-course.  

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #808 of 1,957

Someone needs to crack a W60 open to see if it really has 3x double BA drivers inside.  One that is not working off-course.  

This is from the Westone website:

"This premier six-driver system with a three-way crossover yields the finest audio available today from any earphone. The W60 features dual drivers for the high frequencies, the mid-range and the bass, producing a powerful yet balanced sound that offers great detail and high energy output."

So I'll take them for their word...6 drivers. But, sorry, I won't be cracking open my $1000 pair of IEMs to confirm this for certain. 
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #810 of 1,957
Exactly!

It is only a matter of time, someone will be curious enough.

Lol, be my guest. 
smile.gif

In other news, listening to the W60s with my AK240SS and some DSD files (Shelby Lynne and Jazz at the Pawnshop) this evening and these are seriously great IEMs. I ended up preferring the SE535s to the SE846s by a small margin, but there is no doubt in my mind that the W60s are a good step up from both...to my ears/tastes anyway. 

They are VERY comfortable in my ears and the ergonomics, size and weight are all very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back