Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,621 of 1,957
I agree, the cable can be hard to detach the first time out of the box. However, I find it's best to detach cables regularly to avoid the connectors seizing up. Two-pin connectors have issues as well. One side of my W4R got badly corroded. It was stuck so fast that pliers just broke the plug, leaving the pins behind in the socket. Fortunately, the W4R was still in warranty and Westone replaced it with a new W40 :)  

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #1,622 of 1,957
  Glad you got it sorted! I had the same issue. My usual technique is to let the nails of my thumb and middle finger go into the gap, then with a gentle squeeze it generally pops right off.

However, one time I had left the same cable on for maybe a couple of months and it was stuck fast. Like you said, it seemed like it was welded on, apart from the fact that it was still rotating freely.

Eventually, I got the cable off using pliers and some kitchen towel to avoid marking the rubber housing. It was pretty scary though and I thought I was going to end up breaking something.

I now try to remember to detach the cable on a regular basis even if I am only using the one cable :)

Good post Jim
I'm just surprised the seller didn't tell me about it,then again,maybe he didn't even know aboutit-its trash now
Maybe the cables are covered by the warranty??
I have the braided stock cable on now,& I don't think its ever been used....,looks great, has very goodSQ,& fits extremely well.,..think its called the" epic"??
Hope its not an epic issue ,when I true to remove it??
Overall,this is the finest IEM,I've ever owned,other than the minor cable issue,excellent product Westone!!!

Mike

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,623 of 1,957
I agree, the cable can be hard to detach the first time out of the box. However, I find it's best to detach cables regularly to avoid the connectors seizing up. Two-pin connectors have issues as well. One side of my W4R got badly corroded. It was stuck so fast that pliers just broke the plug, leaving the pins behind in the socket. Fortunately, the W4R was still in warranty and Westone replaced it with a new W40 :)  
I agree. That sucks that happened to you. That never happened to mine with around 4 years of usage.but the whole mechanism became kinda loose in the one housing on me. It didn't effect the sound at all though. And it was out of warranty so I didn't bother to send it Westone. A buddy of mine has them now and they are still going strong I believe. Maybe if a little bit of moisture gets in there I can see that.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,625 of 1,957

Good post Jim
I'm just surprised the seller didn't tell me about it,then again,maybe he didn't even know aboutit-its trash now
Maybe the cables are covered by the warranty??
I have the braided stock cable on now,& I don't think its ever been used....,looks great, has very goodSQ,& fits extremely well.,..think its called the" epic"??
Hope its not an epic issue ,when I true to remove it??
Overall,this is the finest IEM,I've ever owned,other than the minor cable issue,excellent product Westone!!!

Mike

Given the teeth marks you mention, the seller probably did know about it 
biggrin.gif

The cables would indeed be covered. However, the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser.

Which version do you have? The original version (which I have) just had the letter "W" on the faceplates and came with the W-series cable. I believe the current version has "W60" on the faceplates and the ES/UM Pro cable with the shaped shrink-wrap section around the ears. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,626 of 1,957

biggrin.gif

The cables would indeed be covered. However, the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser.

Which version do you have? The original version (which I have) just had the letter "W" on the faceplates and came with the W-series cable. I believe the current version has "W60" on the faceplates and the ES/UM Pro cable with the shaped shrink-wrap section around the ears. 

I'm not sure ,I think its version 2??-just got them yesterday.
I will contact BKG22,and see if its covered,I may need the original bill of sale??

Mike

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #1,627 of 1,957

biggrin.gif

I'm not sure ,I think its version 2??-just got them yesterday.
I will contact BKG22,and see if its covered,I may need the original bill of sale??

Mike

Trying to catch up with the posts :wink:  You mentioned about getting a used W60 and a braided stock cable that was attached and you were trying to remove it?  Actually turning the connector will help.  Since you got it used, you don't know in what environment or under which conditions it was used.  Plus, there could be some specks of dirt or even some oxidation, etc.  When you turn the connector, it helps to break up any build up.  Then, when you pull, always try to hold the connector housing not the wire. 

Since you got your disengaged, I highly recommend you to get Deoxit, like this: https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Gold-Electronic-Maintenance-Caig/dp/B00E1QZ01S/ - it's a special solution used for connector cleaning, enhancing, and protection.  HIGHLY recommend, especially for mmcx connectors.  As a matter of fact, because UE had issues with their UE900s in the past, they include Deoxit as part of their standard accessories
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #1,628 of 1,957
Yep, use a contact cleaner. It worked like a charm for my UE900s and I believe it will work for w60 too.

Just a few tip when using the contact cleaners:
1) remove the w60 faceplates before proceeding. The contact cleaner might be either oil or alcohol based depending on the type you use, so precaution need to be taken to prevent the liquid from dripping into a nozzle. Also, the contact cleaner might wipe away the logo. So be careful.
2) if you suspect some corrosion and are worried about breaking the brittle thing, you can drip a little bit of contact cleaner in the gap, let it work its magic for a while, before pulling out the two-pin (for older models) or before turning the mmxc connectors to break up the dirt build-up.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,629 of 1,957
http://www.head-fi.org/t/837646/westone-w60-all-new-accessories-cables-in-warranty-extra-faceplates-eartipsQuote:

Trying to catch up with the posts :wink:  You mentioned about getting a used W60 and a braided stock cable that was attached and you were trying to remove it?  Actually turning the connector will help.  Since you got it used, you don't know in what environment or under which conditions it was used.  Plus, there could be some specks of dirt or even some oxidation, etc.  When you turn the connector, it helps to break up any build up.  Then, when you pull, always try to hold the connector housing not the wire. 

Since you got your disengaged, I highly recommend you to get Deoxit, like this: https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-Gold-Electronic-Maintenance-Caig/dp/B00E1QZ01S/ - it's a special solution used for connector cleaning, enhancing, and protection.  HIGHLY recommend, especially for mmcx connectors.  As a matter of fact, because UE had issues with their UE900s in the past, they include Deoxit as part of their standard accessories
wink.gif

Twister,let me clarify,I bought a used pair of W60's-see link above.
It came with all the accessories,cables,new faceplates,tips..etc. ,and  6 months remaining on the warranty, WHICH IS TRANSFERRABLE,AS PER bkg22.
The cable that was on the unit ,was badly worn,and I could not remove it,so,my son used a pair of needle nose pliers,and got it off.
Once off,I examined,and cleaned the connectors,and installed the braided cable.
My question is,will Westone replace the cable that was damaged,by the original owner.

As I only paid $450.00, for these earphones & all the accessories..it is not the end of the world,if they do not.

That's it,
Mike

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #1,630 of 1,957

It came with all the accessories,cables,new faceplates,tips..etc. ,and  6 months remaining on the warranty, WHICH IS TRANSFERRABLE,AS PER bkg22.
The cable that was on the unit ,was badly worn,and I could not remove it,so,my son used a pair of needle nose pliers,and got it off.
My question is,will Westone replace the cable that was damaged,by the original owner.

As I only paid $450.00, for these earphones & all the accessories..it is not the end of the world,if they do not.

That's it,
Mike

Oh, I see, I guess the other cable was the one with smartphone in-line remote.  But either way, I still highly recommend Deoxit
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,631 of 1,957

That's it,
Mike

no wonder why its so cheap...so many problems with it....

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,632 of 1,957

Oh, I see, I guess the other cable was the one with smartphone in-line remote.  But either way, I still highly recommend Deoxit
wink.gif

No ,it was not the smartphone cable,that cable I'm giving to Paradoxper
I have dexot,I use when I clean my tubes

Tnx,
Mike

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,635 of 1,957

I don't see how it is reasonable to expect Westone to replace that cable (which still works), especially as the seller already included brand new iPhone and EPIC cables.

Because the original owner send me a cable that was damaged--read the thread,carefully..got it,or shut up.-AH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back