Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,607 of 1,957
  Has anyone paired their W60 or W40 for that matter, with the OPPO HA-2? Thanks all!

I gotta find HA2, somewhere in the boxes.  Regarding cable, no need to get two different terminations.  Get balanced connection of your choice (dual 3.5mm for PHA-3, right?) and then use an adapter to go from BAL to SE.  Lee (@zhibli06) has it for $5: https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8 (good quality adapters, btw).

With silver wire, if you have bright IEM to begin with, silver conductors can push it toward sibilance.  I have tested W-series with both silver plated and pure silver, and never felt the sound to be sibilant.  Also, keep in mind, unless it's a very thin wire, for $80 it will not be a pure silver material especially if it's multi-conductor braided cable (I think you are talking about the same seller a few others mentioned, 8-braid pure silver for $80, right?)

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,608 of 1,957

I gotta find HA2, somewhere in the boxes.  Regarding cable, no need to get two different terminations.  Get balanced connection of your choice (dual 3.5mm for PHA-3, right?) and then use an adapter to go from BAL to SE.  Lee (@zhibli06) has it for $5: https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8 (good quality adapters, btw).

With silver wire, if you have bright IEM to begin with, silver conductors can push it toward sibilance.  I have tested W-series with both silver plated and pure silver, and never felt the sound to be sibilant.  Also, keep in mind, unless it's a very thin wire, for $80 it will not be a pure silver material especially if it's multi-conductor braided cable (I think you are talking about the same seller a few others mentioned, 8-braid pure silver for $80, right?)

Any interest in selling your Oppo depending on what your opinion is of it? I went to that link and didn't see a balanced to single 3.5? Maybe I am just missing it...Yeah I was thinking that the silver would be a nice compliment to the very laid back signature of the W40/60's. Here is the link of the original posting of the cables I was looking at...http://www.head-fi.org/t/616247/dream-cable-5n-occ-solid-silver-upgrade-cable-for-westone-um2-um3rx-w4r  Evidently the maker of the cable is tygamehk09. Thanks for all your help Twister!

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,609 of 1,957
  So who has been using an aftermarket cable? Of any sorts? I have the opportunity to pick up a pure silver single ended cable for $80, but the seller thinks that it may make the W40's too bright or sibilant? I'm comfortable spending a bit on a cable or two, as in my experience, I am one who finds a rather noticeable difference in in the sound with varying cables. And I plan on getting the W60's so the cables would be working for both sets...Anyhow I am looking to get a single ended as well as a balanced to use with my PHA-3 but wasn't sure as to which material would be best suited for the Westone's..I am looking to add a little clarity and soundstage along with if possible a little oomph in the lower end. Thanks again for all the help from everyone with my questions!

silver dragon, or any silver cable. Most user on here like copper litz though, but I dont care much for bass and I like the mids to be slightly recess so I went with the Silver dragon from moon audio. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,610 of 1,957
  Any interest in selling your Oppo depending on what your opinion is of it? I went to that link and didn't see a balanced to single 3.5? Maybe I am just missing it...Yeah I was thinking that the silver would be a nice compliment to the very laid back signature of the W40/60's. Here is the link of the original posting of the cables I was looking at...http://www.head-fi.org/t/616247/dream-cable-5n-occ-solid-silver-upgrade-cable-for-westone-um2-um3rx-w4r  Evidently the maker of the cable is tygamehk09. Thanks for all your help Twister!

that will not fit W60, W60 is MMCX, i think that is 2-pin connector.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,611 of 1,957

Just contact Lee, he can make a custom connector for you if it's not listed in there.  You can have dual 3.5mm to a single 3.5mm TRS, etc.

The cable you listed, as Law87 pointed out, looks like 2pin connector from their older gen IEMs.  It's not mmcx connector, and termination looks like 3.5mm TRS single ended.  I thought Sony (PHA-series) amp use dual 3.5mm TRS connectors, like in PONO?

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,612 of 1,957

Just contact Lee, he can make a custom connector for you if it's not listed in there.  You can have dual 3.5mm to a single 3.5mm TRS, etc.

The cable you listed, as Law87 pointed out, looks like 2pin connector from their older gen IEMs.  It's not mmcx connector, and termination looks like 3.5mm TRS single ended.  I thought Sony (PHA-series) amp use dual 3.5mm TRS connectors, like in PONO?

Yeah you guys are right, it is a 2 pin cable. Didn't look that thoroughly. Yeah I was thinking of getting a SE cable to use for when I just want to plug into my phone or possibly the Oppo, depending on your guys' opinion of the pairing, for on the go. But like you have suggested, it obviously makes sense just to get a balanced cable and then use the adapter for any single ended connection that I may need. Yes, the PHA-3 had dual 3.5 connections. As always, grateful for your help!

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,614 of 1,957
  So I was trying to find a pair of headphones that resemble the sound signature of the Westone's....Any recommendations? 

ether C or Apha prime, but Ether C closest. The Ether C mid are not that forward like it though, but somehow I always love the two together. The Omni I had before is probaly close to the Shure SE846, its been a while though, I just remember the bass in the ZMF OMNI. I never heard of the Shure but from what user describe, the bass is crazy amazing.

Bass is more resolving on the ether C (and AP) too, fast attack and resolving. compare to the W60 which is more accenuated... nature of planar magnetic headphones.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,616 of 1,957

what do you mean? he admitted it in the last page, and he pointed out the policy it clearly says original owner.

Law,
Send him a pm,you can deal with him directly

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,617 of 1,957
Please excuse this digression;

Yesterday I got my W60's,bought them used,from a buyer in London
I am having a major problem removing the cable ,and replacing it with the braided cable ,that my package came with
If I didn't know any better,I'd say,the cable has been welded on.
I followed the advise form a few of my head-fi friend.
Here is what I'm doing
grab the cable up near the tip,squeeze down firmly,and pull straight out,no twisting,turning,or bending.
I think the previous owner,has had difficulty with removing the cable ,as well,-it looks like someone has chewed on it.

Any suggestions---...PLIERS???? MAYBE??
or,
Should I just send these down to Westion Service Dept.;I believe there is still 6 months on the warranty
Are there any other head-fiers,in the same boat ,with their cable removal-installation?

Any help,suggestions, will be much appreciated.
Mike

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,618 of 1,957
Cable Update>

My son-God bless him,got the cable out,with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Even with the pliers,he had a hard time-Jesus.

Mike

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,619 of 1,957
Glad you got it sorted! I had the same issue. My usual technique is to let the nails of my thumb and middle finger go into the gap, then with a gentle squeeze it generally pops right off.

However, one time I had left the same cable on for maybe a couple of months and it was stuck fast. Like you said, it seemed like it was welded on, apart from the fact that it was still rotating freely.

Eventually, I got the cable off using pliers and some kitchen towel to avoid marking the rubber housing. It was pretty scary though and I thought I was going to end up breaking something.

I now try to remember to detach the cable on a regular basis even if I am only using the one cable :)

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,620 of 1,957
When I bought mine new they were really hard getting off the first time. I used a small dish to grab the housing to get a better grip and the other hand to pull where the cable where it meets the housing. It seemed to work. They are tough to get off the first time them they become easier the next time. For the next time I just used my thumb nail inbetween the housing and the cable kinda pulling at the same time. Works like a charm I would advise once you find a cable you like leave it on and don't change it to many times as it seems to weeken the connection over time causing problems. This pretty much goes for all of those kinds of connections. Not sure why they EVER went to that type of connection. The two pin system seemed to work a lot better. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back