Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,591 of 1,957
BKG22,

​And this why,Weston, will be my first IEM,to look at in the future
The face-plate issue,which seems to have been resolved,had left me ,with a somewhat sour taste in my mouth.
The warranty issue thanks to you ,puts new faith in me &,and I'm sure, the rest of the head-fi community.
Thanks you ,Sir.

Mike
PS-my W60's will be delivered today-I hope??

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,592 of 1,957
Hey all! Was hoping to find a little insight...I currently have the W40's and was looking to "upgrade" and I was looking at the W60's and was wondering what some impressions are of the difference between people that have owned both? Also I was considering the Campfire Audio Lyra ii's as their build quality looks top notch and obviously the build quality is one of the weaknesses of the W60's in my opinion...Any other ideas on other IEM's to consider as well? Definitely looking for the laid back signature though...Thanks everyone!

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,594 of 1,957
  Hey all! Was hoping to find a little insight...I currently have the W40's and was looking to "upgrade" and I was looking at the W60's and was wondering what some impressions are of the difference between people that have owned both? Also I was considering the Campfire Audio Lyra ii's as their build quality looks top notch and obviously the build quality is one of the weaknesses of the W60's in my opinion...Any other ideas on other IEM's to consider as well? Definitely looking for the laid back signature though...Thanks everyone!

Don't have experience with Lyra II, but I did compare W40 and W60 in my review here.  You still getting a similar laid back signature, but scaling up in low end performance and noticeable improvement in retrieval of details.

With balanced cable connection, it will depend on the source.  Going balanced doesn't make sound improvement automatically.  Since you have experience with PHA-3 and hear the improvement, I would expect similar results with W60, especially with soundstage it can really open up (W-series is capable of wider staging vs UM Pro series, as an example).

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,595 of 1,957
As for the w60 built quality, you really don't need to worry about them. Ya they may be made of plastic and sorts they are really quite durable. And very comfortable. Besides maybe a couple faceplates cracking they changed the design I believe and I'm thinking it was from people over tightening ? Not sure but that would be my quess. Excellent iem. Just my two cents!

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,596 of 1,957

going from W40 to W60 you will notice the sound is a little warmer but more expansive, soundstage is bigger in comparison, more seperation in instrument, more bass but not overwhelming (I'm bass shy and I love it). Definitely still have that Westone laid back sound. 

as far as build quality goes, my friend who owned the W60 since it inception and it recently fall apart on him. The plastic faceplate is easily broken, you can get it replace for free but its a little hassle. My W60 still going strong after 2 years of ownership (the right one anyway, cause I misplace my left) but most of my faceplate is crack.

the W80 has a better build quality than the W60 in term of faceplate, but then again westone had years to perfect the W40-W60 so it doesnt come as a suprised people complaining about the faceplate.

Generally if you like W40, you will like W60 and W80. I did not like W50 though.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,597 of 1,957
As for the w60 built quality, you really don't need to worry about them. Ya they may be made of plastic and sorts they are really quite durable. And very comfortable. Besides maybe a couple faceplates cracking they changed the design I believe and I'm thinking it was from people over tightening ? Not sure but that would be my quess. Excellent iem. Just my two cents!

also,you have guys here ,that go to sleep with them on-Jesus.,I mean come-on..I mean wearing a 1K headphone to bed,& expect it not to break, as mentioned above, they are now build a newer version of the W60,..Also,
BKG22,has recently texted me, regarding the warranty, if you have one, and if its within the time frame{think its 2 years?},you are eligible for service & repair, even if you bought it used..
You MUST have the warranty .

Mike

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,598 of 1,957
also,you have guys here ,that go to sleep with them on-Jesus.,I mean come-on..I mean wearing a 1K headphone to bed,& expect it not to break, as mentioned above, they are now build a newer version of the W60,..Also,
BKG22,has recently texted me, regarding the warranty, if you have one, and if its within the time frame{think its 2 years?},you are eligible for service & repair, even if you bought it used..

Mike
I hear ya. I don't know how people do that. I did it a couple years ago and I woke up and it freaked me out lol but ya seriously I don't think it's a good idea. And is there going to be things that break and fall apart or whatever?? Yes sure there is with pretty much everything you buy. Two years Warranty is still pretty good. I'm not sure if it's still the same or not but I bought the ak Jh audio Roxane a couple years back now and they only came with one year warranty. That I think is a little nuts. Specially for such an expensive iem.
Plus the fostex te100 which I just bought.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,600 of 1,957

Mike

that was only offered to you because he made a mistake

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,601 of 1,957

that was only offered to you because he made a mistake

​I don't think BKG22,makes mistakes,& he wouldn't have takin the time to txt me, and clarify this issue, in depth
After, I read most of the comments on the W60 thread,I was really ready to cancel my  order, but I didn't, in fact ,they are coming in tomorrow,after sitting in custom at JFK
Seems to me, he's gentleman,& He  will go that extra step to KEEP a customer.

OK,tomorrows the day, when I hit audio heaven, please pray that there is no Cracks, in the clouds!!!

Mike

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,602 of 1,957

​I don't think BKG22,makes mistakes,& he wouldn't have takin the time to txt me, and clarify this issue, in depth
After, I read most of the comments on the W60 thread,I was really ready to cancel my  order, but I didn't, in fact ,they are coming in tomorrow,after sitting in custom at JFK
Seems to me, he's gentleman,& He  will go that extra step to KEEP a customer.

OK,tomorrows the day, when I hit audio heaven, please pray that there is no Cracks, in the clouds!!!

Mike

what do you mean? he admitted it in the last page, and he pointed out the policy it clearly says original owner.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,603 of 1,957
I can only speak to the change qualitatively. I had 4Rs until my dog found them on my night stand. The W60 is, well, more. More depth, more breadth, more clarity. It felt like listening to a great music system, taking the cotton out of your ears, and thinking "where'd that come from (and why was there cotton in my ears…)." Admittedly I didn't feel this way at first, but after some burn in time I wouldn't want to be without them. I've owned the SE 846 and while the sound might be a teensy bit better I couldn't wear them for more than two or three hours. They feel like they were designed by Torquemada after he discovered that pain in the ear canal is an effective means of torture. Like the song "It's a Small World." Deadly together.

Saying you've fallen asleep wearing a pair of Westones (I've done it with the 4R and the W60) isn't a boast like saying you survived uninjured jumping off a two story house with a sheet-parachute (though with the 846 it is). It's that they are so comfortable you can really lose yourself in what you're listening to. And fall asleep. Since they actually fit in you're ear, rather than looking like Dr. Frankenstein goofed up the bolt installation, there's no searing pain in the ear that just mashed up against the pillow. But yeah, sleeping with1K iems ain't smart. As it is never actually my goal I tend to worry about it less than sleepily leaving them where my dog could find them. Again. For the last time.

Anyway YMMV. But I'd much rather have super fantastic iems I could wear for five or six hours every day (as I've done) than utterly fantastic iems I could wear for three hours every other day.

Oh, to answer a different question above I have an RMA for my epic cable right now.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,604 of 1,957

Don't have experience with Lyra II, but I did compare W40 and W60 in my review here.  You still getting a similar laid back signature, but scaling up in low end performance and noticeable improvement in retrieval of details.

With balanced cable connection, it will depend on the source.  Going balanced doesn't make sound improvement automatically.  Since you have experience with PHA-3 and hear the improvement, I would expect similar results with W60, especially with soundstage it can really open up (W-series is capable of wider staging vs UM Pro series, as an example).

Thanks for the link. Your review was super helpful! I think that the W60 addresses the majority of issues I have with the W40's. Adds a little more clarity and extension while increasing the lower ends a touch....Now...I just have to find a way to sell my W40's, RHA T20's and V-Moda ZN's to fund this next adventure! lol

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #1,605 of 1,957
So who has been using an aftermarket cable? Of any sorts? I have the opportunity to pick up a pure silver single ended cable for $80, but the seller thinks that it may make the W40's too bright or sibilant? I'm comfortable spending a bit on a cable or two, as in my experience, I am one who finds a rather noticeable difference in in the sound with varying cables. And I plan on getting the W60's so the cables would be working for both sets...Anyhow I am looking to get a single ended as well as a balanced to use with my PHA-3 but wasn't sure as to which material would be best suited for the Westone's..I am looking to add a little clarity and soundstage along with if possible a little oomph in the lower end. Thanks again for all the help from everyone with my questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back