Westone W60 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,657 of 1,957
Could someone tell me is some visual difference between w40, w50 and w60 without faceplates? Going to buy second hand w60 with no faceplates, doubt how I can be sure that it's w60, but not w50 or w40...

Under the faceplate on the out side of the iem the model number is printed. If you don't see it there don't buy it.

Attachments

• 20170519_100029.jpg
    20170519_100029.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
May 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,659 of 1,957
Under the faceplate on the out side of the iem the model number is printed. If you don't see it there don't buy it.

Haha, replied to the same question in another Westone thread :wink: also mentioned to look on the body of the shell for model number or check the nozzle. Wondering, just in case if he already purchased his pair of Westone iems and model number is not visible, if he can read S/N off the nozzle then he can probably contact Westone for cross-check verification?

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #1,662 of 1,957
Just received the OKCSC metal plates for my W60s... the cracking plastic plate issue is the one thing about this iem that was virtually guaranteed to put me into a fit of apoplectic rage at the best of times... the best $40 I've spent in a while. They even look better than Westone's own.

Attachments

• IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,663 of 1,957
Just received the OKCSC metal plates for my W60s... the cracking plastic plate issue is the one thing about this iem that was virtually guaranteed to put me into a fit of apoplectic rage at the best of times... the best $40 I've spent in a while. They even look better than Westone's own.

Can you please post close up pictures? Also, how much more weight do their add, or if you can compare the weight of plastic vs metal c-clip faceplate?

For sure, the metal faceplate should be more durable, even when you over-tighten the screw. That's what causes cracks most of the time :frowning2:

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,664 of 1,957
FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1720.JPG
Hey Twister6, pictures are above. This is the "black, obsidian" style. They have a gold too, but it's less impressive. Personally, while I'm aware of the manufacturer's defence of "you screwed in the plates too hard"... otherwise known as "user error"... I find it a long way from convincing.

Legally (under normal consumer protection laws) plates that begin cracking in a week after they've been replaced, as my last ones did (which replaced three (3) cracked ones from the previous owner), are not in legal parlance "fit for purpose".

In other words, anything sold needs to be designed with reasonable scope for stress known as "normal wear and tear"... i.e. for example, 'turning the screw too hard'.

Using metal screws on a thin plastic plate is a predictably flawed approach to a (pained but) laughingly well known problem.

That you can't buy a second hand W60 without reading about
1. missing plates,
2. cracked plates...
3. or no plates...
makes it abundantly clear that this is regretably the manufacturer's error.

Here's the thing, personally I love Westone's signature sound. I don't actually want to take pot shots at this company. I want Westone to challenge 1964, Noble and Empire Earz... etc on sound and manufacturing standards.

I want Westone to be selling these metal plates, which genuinely solves the problem. In my opinion, Westone commercially needs to fix this issue. The W80 may indeed have improved the plastic design so there's some more scope for "normal wear & tear"... But when using metal eliminates the issue for almost no significant cost... (probably much less given Westone's constantly needing to send out replacement plates, which to their credit they do). In manpower alone, this fix is a no-brainer.

OKCSC have spotted the issue and provided a solution. Westone, should just say, "thanks for that idea, now we're making the same things, even cheaper..." There's no shame in doing this. It's like when Apple famously included "the rubber bumper" when they screwed up signal on maybe the iPhone 3 or something. It's acknowledging and then mitigating the problem you created.

As far as weight goes, it's absolutely negligible. Even better, having them on provides the satisfying feeling of "pushing a better quality product in my ear" each time. (Akin to the way a German car has a nice solid door slam when you shut it.)

I presume this noticeable difference is due to the "plastic flex", that you've alluded to in your most recent W80 review, and which is in my non-civil engineering opinion the true cause of the plate splitting, and not the screwing the plates too hard in...

But we can agree to disagree... Julian :ksc75smile:

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,665 of 1,957

Hey Twister6, pictures are above. This is the "black, obsidian" style. They have a gold too, but it's less impressive. Personally, while I'm aware of the manufacturer's defence of "you screwed in the plates too hard"... otherwise known as "user error"... I find it a long way from convincing.

Legally (under normal consumer protection laws) plates that begin cracking in a week after they've been replaced, as my last ones did (which replaced three (3) cracked ones from the previous owner), are not in legal parlance "fit for purpose".

In other words, anything sold needs to be designed with reasonable scope for stress known as "normal wear and tear"... i.e. for example, 'turning the screw too hard'.

Using metal screws on a thin plastic plate is a predictably flawed approach to a (pained but) laughingly well known problem.

That you can't buy a second hand W60 without reading about
1. missing plates,
2. cracked plates...
3. or no plates...
makes it abundantly clear that this is regretably the manufacturer's error.

Here's the thing, personally I love Westone's signature sound. I don't actually want to take pot shots at this company. I want Westone to challenge 1964, Noble and Empire Earz... etc on sound and manufacturing standards.

I want Westone to be selling these metal plates, which genuinely solves the problem. In my opinion, Westone commercially needs to fix this issue. The W80 may indeed have improved the plastic design so there's some more scope for "normal wear & tear"... But when using metal eliminates the issue for almost no significant cost... (probably much less given Westone's constantly needing to send out replacement plates, which to their credit they do). In manpower alone, this fix is a no-brainer.

OKCSC have spotted the issue and provided a solution. Westone, should just say, "thanks for that idea, now we're making the same things, even cheaper..." There's no shame in doing this. It's like when Apple famously included "the rubber bumper" when they screwed up signal on maybe the iPhone 3 or something. It's acknowledging and then mitigating the problem you created.

As far as weight goes, it's absolutely negligible. Even better, having them on provides the satisfying feeling of "pushing a better quality product in my ear" each time. (Akin to the way a German car has a nice solid door slam when you shut it.)

I presume this noticeable difference is due to the "plastic flex", that you've alluded to in your most recent W80 review, and which is in my non-civil engineering opinion the true cause of the plate splitting, and not the screwing the plates too hard in...

But we can agree to disagree... Julian :ksc75smile:

Nobody is disagreeing with you, we are aligned here :wink: And I think Westone did realize the original issue in the design of these c-clip faceplates as well. Plus they honor the replacement within 2yr warranty, and I heard from a number of people - even outside of 2yrs. The design was updated in mid-production cycle of W-series, and then W80 has a slimmer more robust design as well, though still plastic.

9464589.jpg

If it would be up to me, I wouldn't even use faceplates. But from my discussion with Westone, they wanted something different/unique to stand out with customization option, sort of giving us a chance to mod the IEM. Plus, some people like to use different color faceplates to distinguish Left/Right earpieces.

Either way, hopefully they (Westone) are reading these threads and taking notes. You can see already, for example, UM Pro series got a complete refresh of the shell. And all their mmcx connectors has been updated, including Epic cable. As long as company is willing to admit they had a problem and moving forward fixing it - that's what matters :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back