WESTONE UM3X WITH DBA-02 TIPS = WOW
Jan 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

miow

Member of the Trade: X-Elite (Headphone mods)
aka dimitri42.
Well, I decided to try the fischer audio DBA-02 black silicone tips on the UM3X RC and I'm WOWed. Compared to the SHURE Olives, theres TONS more treble and details, more air (more space - can't explain any better), better perception of instruments such as cymbals, percussion, etc. Everything sound more natural and realistic. It's a totally new IEM for a much lower price than the UM56 custom tips and sound is pretty much the same.

Isolation is medium, the UM56 isolate a bit more, but if you're like me that listen at high volumes, that won't be an issue at all. I can't hear much noise (if any) outdoors at the volumes I'm accostumed to listen to. Nothing that distracts me from the listening experience/enjoyement.

I have tried almost all the universal tips on the market and nothing compares. If you can, get these tips and thank me later ; )

P.S. I had to do some DIY, since the tube is a bit larger than the nozzle (I've used warm glue - it does not damage the IEM, its like silicon), but it's worth it. I prefer these to the UM56's due to comfort. I can't feel them. Add to this a Chris Himself's Silver Cable and you won't recognize this IEM (instrument separation, definition/detail and bass on the UM3X RC is unlike anything else. I've tried SM3, J-phonic K2 SP, Sony EX1000. etc, and difference is night and day IMO).  

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Interesting.  I will have to check these out.  As an aside, I do not find UM56's to have great isolation in comparison to Comply P-Series.  I have a perfect seal with UM56 and the sound is phenomenal, but in terms of pure isolation the P's are superior by a wide margin.  Thanks for  the heads-up.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 7
You're welcome. Well, the 56's isolate just a bit more. They don't have a great isolation indeed compared to Complys. But the sound of the UM56 is MUCH better than the Complys. The same for the DBA-02 black silicone tips. Give them a try, you won't regret it : )

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 7
how does this compare to using the Shure silicone tips? they look kind of similar. I didnt quite like the fit of the um56, it was all a bit weird for me and would always come loose.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Are there Shure “olives” that will fit the VsonicGR07? What is the item number of the olives, and where can they be procured? Can they be modified to accommodate the Vsonic? Do olives come in different internal diameter sizes.
something that will NOT diminish mid/highs but will seal well to get it all.
What other tips would work? Now I see these suggestions; like try the fischer audio DBA-02 black silicone tips-Compared to the SHURE Olives, theres TONS more treble and details, more air-so where and how to order some; I lost my weja board.

Hi, I am no stranger to hi fi and phones after 55 yrs.; but totally green when it comes to IEMS.
I need to know about eartips for Vsonic GR07. yes, it comes with lots- I Still found it necessary to order some Sony hybrid silicone with the “orange” size a decent fit. But will not seal completely- even moving your jaw; the seal breaks. Two alternative solutions are left.
 1) by appearances, it does come with some comply tips; but they did not want to go in deep enough for my smaller ear canal. Some say they cut them down if needed. The question here is: how much? I am guestimateing ¼ to1/3;and doing this would allow for a deeper insertion with a  more goof-proof seal. Also the advantage of shorting the comply nozzle would avoid knocking out some of the detail in the mid/highs which I have found to be the case and very undesirable.It snuffs the highs, and veils the mids- no seal and then no bottom; so what to do...???
2) What would be a better solution might be the Sure “olive”s or something similar. the difficult part here being the size difference of the GR07 nozzle which is 4mm VS the Shure being (reportedly) 2mm. I have a box of 10 at $20 I don’t want to tear into because of the  nozzle eartip difference. I am not even sure as to the shure I ordered; because they say silicone soft flex sleeves when I researched and there supposed to be a firm foam tip.but who's to say that my ear canal might love em-if they can be made to stretch over the nozzle.
     This difference in sizing has been asked before I see; but I can find no reply. It begs a number of different work around possibilities. One being- can the plastic inner sleeve be removed so that the silicon would stretch and fit onto the nozzle? Or can the plastic inner sleeve be warmed up to stretch around the GR07 nozzle?
I LIKE  these because they sound like a good blend of my fav cans-Denon AH-2000, and Grado si 80's, and will cover all the bases in all genres. Of coarse, no seal / no deal; and I am at the stretched end of my budget as far as signature vs price point for what is out there right now.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Are there Shure “olives” that will fit the VsonicGR07? What is the item number of the olives, and where can they be procured? Can they be modified to accommodate the Vsonic? Do olives come in different internal diameter sizes.
something that will NOT diminish mid/highs but will seal well to get it all.
What other tips would work? Now I see these suggestions; like try the fischer audio DBA-02 black silicone tips-Compared to the SHURE Olives, theres TONS more treble and details, more air-so where and how to order some; I lost my weja board.

Hi, I am no stranger to hi fi and phones after 55 yrs.; but totally green when it comes to IEMS.
I need to know about eartips for Vsonic GR07. yes, it comes with lots- I Still found it necessary to order some Sony hybrid silicone with the “orange” size a decent fit. But will not seal completely- even moving your jaw; the seal breaks. Two alternative solutions are left.
 1) by appearances, it does come with some comply tips; but they did not want to go in deep enough for my smaller ear canal. Some say they cut them down if needed. The question here is: how much? I am guestimateing ¼ to1/3;and doing this would allow for a deeper insertion with a  more goof-proof seal. Also the advantage of shorting the comply nozzle would avoid knocking out some of the detail in the mid/highs which I have found to be the case and very undesirable.It snuffs the highs, and veils the mids- no seal and then no bottom; so what to do...???
2) What would be a better solution might be the Sure “olive”s or something similar. the difficult part here being the size difference of the GR07 nozzle which is 4mm VS the Shure being (reportedly) 2mm. I have a box of 10 at $20 I don’t want to tear into because of the  nozzle eartip difference. I am not even sure as to the shure I ordered; because they say silicone soft flex sleeves when I researched and there supposed to be a firm foam tip.but who's to say that my ear canal might love em-if they can be made to stretch over the nozzle.
     This difference in sizing has been asked before I see; but I can find no reply. It begs a number of different work around possibilities. One being- can the plastic inner sleeve be removed so that the silicon would stretch and fit onto the nozzle? Or can the plastic inner sleeve be warmed up to stretch around the GR07 nozzle?
I LIKE  these because they sound like a good blend of my fav cans-Denon AH-2000, and Grado si 80's, and will cover all the bases in all genres. Of coarse, no seal / no deal; and I am at the stretched end of my budget as far as signature vs price point for what is out there right now.

The shure olives, as comfortable as they are, will kill the midrange and highs of the GR07. The only way you can get them to fit is to first stretch them out, then put them on the nozzle. I have some SS (super small) sony hybrids that I could send to you. Shoot me a PM if you want them.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back