Westone UM3X vs. Earsonics SM3
Sep 7, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #106 of 141

Quote:

[size=medium]
I didn't vote, but....

I have the SM3's and have had the fortunate opportunity to have heard the UM3X's before.
Without going into details.... I'd say that the SM3's are better, I'm not saying that the UM3X's are no good, they're great, but the SM3's to me, just does better. 

But of course, this is just my opinion.
[/size]

I think you will need to specify in which areas is the SM3 better than UM3X for you. For me, I didn't find the SM3 to be better at everything, namely instrument separation, representation of cymbal and bass impact.

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #107 of 141

Quote:
Did anyone else receive a PM from Sumflow? If so I suggest you disregard his post/message. It's clear he's extremely biased towards Westone products.
Sure he raises a good point that the same thing may have occured with the SM3 and as he puts it "6 guys who hyped the french companies earhpone" but he himself is just as bad (in my opinion).

The view that it is one group of Westone (UM3X) lovers versus a group of Earsonics (SM3) lovers is (and should be) pure crap.
It is two high end monitors that have to fight it out, not two groups of people.

So yeah, if you didn't get a PM from him you may skip over my post feeling confused.

sure did

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #108 of 141

Quote:
Did anyone else receive a PM from Sumflow? If so I suggest you disregard his post/message. It's clear he's extremely biased towards Westone products.
Sure he raises a good point that the same thing may have occured with the SM3 and as he puts it "6 guys who hyped the french companies earhpone" but he himself is just as bad (in my opinion).

The view that it is one group of Westone (UM3X) lovers versus a group of Earsonics (SM3) lovers is (and should be) pure crap.
It is two high end monitors that have to fight it out, not two groups of people.

So yeah, if you didn't get a PM from him you may skip over my post feeling confused.

cant figure why sumflo is always messaging people i even get it on youtube from him when i reply to a vid and he makes out like his some expert

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #109 of 141
So, I got a serious doubt regarding "upgrades" over here...
Currently I have Sansa Clip+ + UM3x and was considering an upgrade with the following options:

Westone / Cowon J3 or Sony equivalent

or

Sansa Clip+ / SM3

I gotta say I love the UM3x, but indeed it does have a small sound-stage, I also like it's clarity, but sometimes I think it's too much with older/brighter recordings. Could be more forgiving perhaps.
What frightens me is how veiled the SM3 could be, and the bass, as I am satisfied quantity wise by the um3x

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #110 of 141
^ I'd suggest you up-date your DAP.  You would be sidesetpping rather thanupdating changing from the UM3X to the SM3 compared to the upgrade from the Clip+ to a J3 or maybe a s:flo2?

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #111 of 141
I've heard good things about the S:FLO, mainly about the line-out, but I don't know about the headphones out though, I also don't intend on buying an AMP anytime soon.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #112 of 141

Quote:
So, I got a serious doubt regarding "upgrades" over here...
Currently I have Sansa Clip+ + UM3x and was considering an upgrade with the following options:

Westone / Cowon J3 or Sony equivalent

or

Sansa Clip+ / SM3

I gotta say I love the UM3x, but indeed it does have a small sound-stage, I also like it's clarity, but sometimes I think it's too much with older/brighter recordings. Could be more forgiving perhaps.
What frightens me is how veiled the SM3 could be, and the bass, as I am satisfied quantity wise by the um3x

I would get a new DAP. Hearing the UM3X at Can Jam, and comparing them to my SM3s, the differences are not huge. They are certainly different, but even the differences they have can come down to personal preference.

The S:Flo 2 certainly sounds great, but it has it's limitations. No smooth interface, buzz/clicks between tracks, and hiss in the line out. If you can deal with that, you have an inexpensive and excellent sounding (even HO) player.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #113 of 141
You're right, I should have. I was stealing a break during a lecture in school and hadn't the time to elaborate. I have to disagree that SM3's instrument separation is not better than UM3X. My impression of the latter is based on memory and might not be accurate though. I listen to a wide variety of music and this includes a fair amount of orchestral music. I have a habit of counting and listening in to each of the instruments of the music I listen to so I'm rather conscious. I feel the SM3 resolves the different instruments very clearly (but at the same time does not distort the entire coherency of the music) and is not inferior to the UM3X in this aspect. I like space and I think the SM3 gives me that and more. Given, the soundstage does not extend infinitely, but if the music calls for a large sense of space, the SM3 delivers and I feel UM3X falls short here. The SM3, I feel, gives a liquidy representation of music. If a piece is exciting, it's exciting, if it's boisterous, it's boisterous, if it has to be calm and smoothing, it'll be calm and smoothing. The UM3X, however, sounds colder and perhaps excessively analytical. I don't remember the bassy portions of my UM3X experience so I won't compare.

I am not denying the UM3X is a great IEM. It's awesome, I just like the SM3 more.

Music is in the ears of the listener. : D
Quote:
I think you will need to specify in which areas is the SM3 better than UM3X for you. For me, I didn't find the SM3 to be better at everything, namely instrument separation, representation of cymbal and bass impact.

Added question: I have the iPhone 3G but am considering the Cowon J3, because I'm sick of the iTunes interface and have heard great stuff about the J3. Anyone knows if there'll be a significant difference?

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #116 of 141
Searcccccccccccccccch!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you buddy!! I'm on my way to customs-land my friend. Hope you're well!
beerchug.gif

Eric

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #117 of 141
To those saying the SM3 is a huge step up from the UM3X, and in particular @search, I did just have my ears cleaned in preparation for my custom monitors, and I have to say that I heavily lean toward the UM3X's sound signature. My room mate has a pair of SM3's and after spending extensive time with both I can give you my 2cents:

The UM3X's were designed for stage performers, and as such, when you listen to audio, I find that they are very true to the source and the imaging is very life-like. Most studio recordings come out sounding like you are in the studio while the album is being recorded. Clarity and accuracy are the strengths of the UM3X's. In brief, the UM3X's do not emphasize any part of the frequency range, everything seems to be equally spaced. As such, the human ear is designed to focus on the human vocal range frequencies, so the mids seem to come out stronger. Many IEM manufacturers combat this with a v-shaped response curve, although a huge v curve will provide a more "exciting" sound to some.

The SM3's, on the other hand, seem to try and manipulate frequency response to give the impression of a larger soundstage. The treble decay is not as good as the UM3X which gives one the impression the music is further away. The mids are more (relatively) recessed as well, but the bass response is a strong suit to the SM3. They definitely seem to have a few db bump in the low-end compared to the UM3X's which some may like. Overall, I think the SM3 was designed more for regular consumer (albeit audiophiles) listening, and as such, has a slightly more v-shaped response curve than the UM3X. I would not call the SM3's treble recessed, just that it does not have the impact or definition that the UM3X's do.

Overall, many people may find that they like the SM3's better. I believe this can be attributed to the larger headspace and the fact that faster paced music can sound more exciting on the SM3's. Let me explain, the volume level can be increased on the SM3's, and because of their more v-shaped response, instruments get placed before the singer, giving more "action" to the sound. In the end, I found that I really prefer the UM3X's, especially after having my ears cleaned, I found I really loved the increased treble clarity and body, as well as the intimate soundstage and imagining.

In the end, you cannot really go wrong with either IEM, but if you have one and you truly aren't happy with its signature, then maybe switching out for the other would be worth a shot. But if you own either the SM3 or the UM3X and you are happy with the SQ, switching to either would not be considered an "upgrade" by any means (unless your on headfi
wink.gif
  )

That being said, the poll in this thread is ridiculous lol

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #119 of 141
Nov 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #120 of 141
What did you expect? The SM3 are currently the FOTM at head-fi. Read the UM3X appreciation thread, at one point, it WAS considered the ULTIMATE iem blah blah blah. I guarantee that in a couple of months, another iem will be touted as the best and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back