Westone UM3X vs. Earsonics SM3
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #139 of 141
I really need more time to tell you exactly what I think.  I got home at 5:30pm EST to find the package was delivered and it's 9:50pm EST now.  Any worthwhile impression will take some time.  But, with the brief listening I have done with a few different tips I don't like the lack of bass response and the veiled mids of the SM3.  That could be due to an inadequate seal which I hope to resolve.  Once I have determined that the seal is OK I will judge from there.

Please wait a few days so I do more listening and formulate my impressions into words.

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #141 of 141
UM3X is better in all aspects except vocals, which are a bit more upfront/warmer on the SM3 due to mid-centric sound sig (but still amazing on the UM3X). Instrument separation is better, more clarity, more details and better treble (quantity and its more sparkly). Treble on the SM3 is indeed recessed. If you A/B both, you almost can't hear the SM3's treble. Bass quantity and quality is same thing. UM3X is brighter, SM3 is dark. This is after an extensive A/B. No doubts, UM3X wins hands down. Going to buy a silver dragon cable for it and it will be heaven, with even more details, better soundstage and deeper bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back