Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #3,916 of 4,413
Quote:
Just received my new pair of UM3X's. I have been using the Shure SE425's which are a bit bass light and analytical. I was looking for something a little fuller sounding. I have Triple Fi's which sounded nice but are about the worst fitting IEM's I have tried.

So, I popped the UM3X's into my ears and was very disappointed. Where was the clarity? Kind of sounded veiled and muddy to me. I tried all the supplied tips and although they altered the sound a bit compared to the Complys, It still sounded rather dull. The SE425's seem much clearer in the mids and highs, most likely as a result of being light on bass. I was kind of trying to find something as clear with better bass.

I was about to give up but decided to try one more thing. I de-cored some Shure Olives and inserted the Sony Hybrids over these. Eureka! I found what I was looking for. The guitars and voices now have more brightness that I was looking for. The leading edges of notes were sharper and clearer. The separation and soundstage everyone talks about finally made itself known. Before these tips, not good.  I know I could have EQ'd them but I REALLY HATE using EQ. I prefer to find and IEM that sounds great with no EQ.

So I guess the SE425's are going back. They do have really nice forward mids and great detail but the lack of bass made rock and metal sound a bit too tame. They are really nice for vocals, acoustic music and classical. Not so much for rock & metal.

Hope this is the end of my quest. It's gotten pretty expensive to say the least!

+3-4db at 10,000Hz really does bring them to life,, but I'm wondering what you mean when you say you de-cored the shures and put sony hybrids over them?  Is there another thread?

I've been using Medium Shure olives for ages and finally got around to trying the Smalls, since the Mediums didn't quite fit.

Now I have a perfect seal, but the bass has become overpowering and muddied the rest of the sound slightly and it's taken the  delicious crispness from the highs, even with +4dB EQ'd in.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #3,917 of 4,413
Quote:

+3-4db at 10,000Hz really does bring them to life,, but I'm wondering what you mean when you say you de-cored the shures and put sony hybrids over them?  Is there another thread?

I've been using Medium Shure olives for ages and finally got around to trying the Smalls, since the Mediums didn't quite fit.

Now I have a perfect seal, but the bass has become overpowering and muddied the rest of the sound slightly and it's taken the  delicious crispness from the highs, even with +4dB EQ'd in.

i think he mean it like this

the first pic is when the shures olives is de cored and the second pic is an sony hybrid putted on a de cored shure olives.
hope this help

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #3,918 of 4,413
Yep. That's exactly what I did. I also found another tip that I like a lot. The Meelectric single flange medium. I think it's for the M6 series. Very nice sound. I like it even better than the decored olive with the Sony hybrid. No mod needed and adds even a bit more brightness and clarity.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #3,919 of 4,413
I just logged in 14 hours ( 21 hours of flying altogether) of listening during three flights.
Isolation was decent not as good as W4s or SE 535s. I liked the SQ better than the W4s I had those last month for about the same amount of time flying and have no opinion vs the SE 535s.

For the price they are a good sounding IEM.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #3,920 of 4,413
Quote:
Yep. That's exactly what I did. I also found another tip that I like a lot. The Meelectric single flange medium. I think it's for the M6 series. Very nice sound. I like it even better than the decored olive with the Sony hybrid. No mod needed and adds even a bit more brightness and clarity.

Would these be the tips you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-Eartips-for-Sports-Fi-S6-M6-M6P-A161P-A151-earphones-Black-/130745455297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1e710952c1

If so, how do they compare to the mushroom tips included with the UM3X?

I spend a majority of my time listening to 80s hard rock/metal.

Thank You,

Milan

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,921 of 4,413
Quote:
Would these be the tips you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-Eartips-for-Sports-Fi-S6-M6-M6P-A161P-A151-earphones-Black-/130745455297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1e710952c1

If so, how do they compare to the mushroom tips included with the UM3X?

I spend a majority of my time listening to 80s hard rock/metal.

Thank You,

Milan

Yes, I believe those are it. I have the clear version though. The mushroom tips have a smaller bore hole which seems to restrict the highs and make everything sound too congested and dark to me. These tips seem to open up the sound more and give a nice balance between bass, mids and highs. I use a very light seal not inserting too deep only push them in a little bit to where they just seal.

Ed

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,922 of 4,413
Quote:
Yes, I believe those are it. I have the clear version though. The mushroom tips have a smaller bore hole which seems to restrict the highs and make everything sound too congested and dark to me. These tips seem to open up the sound more and give a nice balance between bass, mids and highs. I use a very light seal not inserting too deep only push them in a little bit to where they just seal.

Ed

Thank you for the information and explanation.
I've ordered 3 pairs of the medium single flanges for myself.

I am eager to try them out.

I agree, the mushroom tips do make everything sound too dark.

Milan

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #3,923 of 4,413
Quote:

Ed

Howdy,

I received the Meelectornics medium sized single flanges today. Unfortunately, the core of the tip is too wide, which prevents the tips from properly clinging to the UM3X phones.
Are you sure the single flange Meelectronics medium sleeves are compatible with the UM3X?

Thank You,

Milan

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #3,924 of 4,413
Quote:
Howdy,

I received the Meelectornics medium sized single flanges today. Unfortunately, the core of the tip is too wide, which prevents the tips from properly clinging to the UM3X phones.
Are you sure the single flange Meelectronics medium sleeves are compatible with the UM3X?

Thank You,

Milan

Damn, I'm such an idiot. I just took the tips off my UM3X's and noticed that I had decored a couple of Shure Olives and slipped the M6 tips over them. If you need some I can decore a couple of Olives I have and send the cores to you.

Sorry,

Ed

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #3,925 of 4,413
im really enjoying the um3x now. it sound amazing with my 3rd anv studio v. really great pairing.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3,926 of 4,413

I've recently abandoned the mushroom sleeves and have been using the Phonak Perfect Fit Earphone (PFE) eartips with my UM3X.
I'm very pleased with this combination.The Phonak PFE tips help the UM3X produce much more noticeable highs.
The darkness produced by the mushrooms is no longer present.

My favorite hard rock tracks sound like the band is performing in front of me, and I couldn't be happier.
I suggest trying the PFE eartips out if you're not fond of the muddy sound produced by the mushrooms and triple flange tips.
The comfort level of the PFE tips is also significantly better than the supplied tips. :)

http://www.soundearphones.com/products/phonak-audeo-replacment-silicone-ear-tips

Milan

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,927 of 4,413
So sad... 
frown.gif

my right earpiece is broke :frowning2:

I live in the Philippines so shipping for repairs is very costly and will take too long.. 

It's definitely not the cables as i tried switching them between ear pieces since I have the RC version. no wax or anything is blocking the sound tube of the right ear piece. If i listen using my PC, i need to switch the balance to around 80 on my left piece to balance it but I think one or two of the drivers are broken. I can't hear much of the vocals on the right :frowning2: How sad that I bought the RC version thinking the ear pieces would outlast the cables but it's the other way around. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #3,928 of 4,413
So does anyone have any info on the little paper filters inside the nozzles?  How do you replace them when the time comes?

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #3,930 of 4,413
I have to say that even though I wasn't impressed with the UM3x at first, it really grows on you. I'm selling my TF10 now (terrible fit...) and even considering selling the ER4 now too. It just feels so thin compared to the UM3x. This is an IEM that really doesn't stand out at first, but it does so many things well that you can't help but love it after using it. I'm getting a pair of Heir 4.Ais, so we'll see how they compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back