Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,902 of 4,413
Just received my new pair of UM3X's. I have been using the Shure SE425's which are a bit bass light and analytical. I was looking for something a little fuller sounding. I have Triple Fi's which sounded nice but are about the worst fitting IEM's I have tried.

So, I popped the UM3X's into my ears and was very disappointed. Where was the clarity? Kind of sounded veiled and muddy to me. I tried all the supplied tips and although they altered the sound a bit compared to the Complys, It still sounded rather dull. The SE425's seem much clearer in the mids and highs, most likely as a result of being light on bass. I was kind of trying to find something as clear with better bass.

I was about to give up but decided to try one more thing. I de-cored some Shure Olives and inserted the Sony Hybrids over these. Eureka! I found what I was looking for. The guitars and voices now have more brightness that I was looking for. The leading edges of notes were sharper and clearer. The separation and soundstage everyone talks about finally made itself known. Before these tips, not good.  I know I could have EQ'd them but I REALLY HATE using EQ. I prefer to find and IEM that sounds great with no EQ.

So I guess the SE425's are going back. They do have really nice forward mids and great detail but the lack of bass made rock and metal sound a bit too tame. They are really nice for vocals, acoustic music and classical. Not so much for rock & metal.

Hope this is the end of my quest. It's gotten pretty expensive to say the least!

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3,903 of 4,413
Man, I've just read up on these and it's totally made me really curious. I love a mid-emphasized sound and this seems like just what I'd love. I actually have the Triple.Fis now, recabled to bring out the mids and I love the sound, but the microphonics are killing me. I do love the sound though and not quite willing to go for these... yet.

Hearing they're like the HD650s does sound great though. I've heard good things about them for vocal/jazz, but how are they for rock (which is what I'd use them for)? They seem like an upgrade from the Triple.Fis, but I'm not sure if a upgraded Triple.Fi is better or not.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3,904 of 4,413
Quote:
Man, I've just read up on these and it's totally made me really curious. I love a mid-emphasized sound and this seems like just what I'd love. I actually have the Triple.Fis now, recabled to bring out the mids and I love the sound, but the microphonics are killing me. I do love the sound though and not quite willing to go for these... yet.

Hearing they're like the HD650s does sound great though. I've heard good things about them for vocal/jazz, but how are they for rock (which is what I'd use them for)? They seem like an upgrade from the Triple.Fis, but I'm not sure if a upgraded Triple.Fi is better or not.

They are better in the mids than the 650s and I have had both the Westone and Senns.  But there is a sense of space you get with full size cans that you do not get with iems.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #3,905 of 4,413
They're brilliant for rock. Basically they are a very good all-rounder, except possibly for classical because of the slightly recessed treble. Coming from the TF10 you may miss the sparkle, but the mids will probably more than make up for it :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #3,906 of 4,413
Quote:
They're brilliant for rock. Basically they are a very good all-rounder, except possibly for classical because of the slightly recessed treble. Coming from the TF10 you may miss the sparkle, but the mids will probably more than make up for it :)

Sound like they might be worth trying out. If I buy them used, then I can sell whichever one I like less I suppose without too much of a loss. People do seem pretty split on the TF10 vs. the UM3X though. What I do want to do is like both for different reasons and keeping them both...

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,907 of 4,413
They are a bit darker sounding than the Triple Fi's but are so smooth you can listen all day. The have a great heft to the sound that the TF10's don't have. The bass notes are tighter with less boominess.  I was listening to some classical Wagner orchestral music and the crescendos don't seem to muddy up at all. Great ability to not get congested on the loudest parts and it kind of felt like full range speakers.

Your ears definitely have to adjust to the sound a bit if you are used to a lot of highs but once adjusted they are incredible for a universal IEM.

Most of the IEM's I tried that had sparkle lacked in the weight of note department but these have great weight. They also respond to EQ very nicely, so if you want just a bit more brightness it doesn't totally destroy the balance. I find myself turning these up louder than other IEM's and still don't get ringing ears they are so smooth.

Oh, and tips make a BIG difference. The wrong ones make these sound kinda murky. Get the right tips and it's great.

Kind of remind me of B&W 801's speakers.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,908 of 4,413
Quote:
They are a bit darker sounding than the Triple Fi's but are so smooth you can listen all day. The have a great heft to the sound that the TF10's don't have. The bass notes are tighter with less boominess.  I was listening to some classical Wagner orchestral music and the crescendos don't seem to muddy up at all. Great ability to not get congested on the loudest parts and it kind of felt like full range speakers.

Your ears definitely have to adjust to the sound a bit if you are used to a lot of highs but once adjusted they are incredible for a universal IEM.

Most of the IEM's I tried that had sparkle lacked in the weight of note department but these have great weight. They also respond to EQ very nicely, so if you want just a bit more brightness it doesn't totally destroy the balance. I find myself turning these up louder than other IEM's and still don't get ringing ears they are so smooth.

Oh, and tips make a BIG difference. The wrong ones make these sound kinda murky. Get the right tips and it's great.

Kind of remind me of B&W 801's speakers.

Sounds good. I'm looking for a bit more intimacy to my music... the soundstage of the Triple.Fis are just a bit too big and I find myself turning them up a bit too much to bring out the vocals more. Thinking the UM3X might solve my problems.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,909 of 4,413
Quote:

Sounds good. I'm looking for a bit more intimacy to my music... the soundstage of the Triple.Fis are just a bit too big and I find myself turning them up a bit too much to bring out the vocals more. Thinking the UM3X might solve my problems.

None of the tips that came with it worked that well for me. The tips that did the trick were the medium Sony hybrids. I de-cored a couple of Shure Olives and put the hybrids on those in order to fit the UM3X stem. Perfect balance of bass, mids and highs with these for me. The other tips didn't sound very clear.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3,910 of 4,413
Quote:

None of the tips that came with it worked that well for me. The tips that did the trick were the medium Sony hybrids. I de-cored a couple of Shure Olives and put the hybrids on those in order to fit the UM3X stem. Perfect balance of bass, mids and highs with these for me. The other tips didn't sound very clear.

I know that Sony Hybrids fit me well and that Klipsch biflanges are great too (which supposedly fit the Westones), so I hope that won't be an issue.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,913 of 4,413
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to buy the UM3X at a good price?  I would think I should be able to get these well under $300 nowadays.

I haven't seen them below $300 ever, not new from an authorized dealer that is.  Some dealers have been de-authorized over the years, but a few sponsors of headfi have sales occasionally where they offer all their cans except certain ones for 15% or 20% off for a limited time.  That may be your best bet.  Other than that there are the occasional used ones that show up, like the ones on amazon right now.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3,915 of 4,413
Quote:
Thanks for the response

l.

Check the classifieds, I got mine new in the box under $300 shipped (newest RC version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back