Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #3,871 of 4,413
Quote:
Dear guhmo,

coming from an Ety, the transition is simpler, since they are sort of cousins​​. Think of a UM3X as the evolution of Ety ER4S, since both share the same "sound orientation". I hope you understand what I mean...

As the soundstage, the UM3X has no problem. It represents EXACTLY what has been recorded, without adding fake ambient space in the music.

Awesome piece of engineering, in the end.

Cheers,

Peter

Yeah I get what you mean, it's accurate but musical... a truly rare gem in the world of IEMs :)
Yes, you expressed what I meant where you say that it keeps what's been recorded.. Binaural recordings sound brilliant, and well recorded/mastered albums like The Dark Side of the Moon coupled with the marvellous instrument separation... amazing :)

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3,873 of 4,413
I've upgraded to a pair of UM3X from the PFE112 and am in Rock N Roll Heaven!

I have a quick question, I have 3 extra unused pairs of medium sized PFE silicone eartips.
Will these work with the UM3X, and if so, would I void my warranty by using them?

Thanks,

Milan

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,874 of 4,413
Quote:
I've upgraded to a pair of UM3X from the PFE112 and am in Rock N Roll Heaven!

I have a quick question, I have 3 extra unused pairs of medium sized PFE silicone eartips.
Will these work with the UM3X, and if so, would I void my warranty by using them?

Thanks,

Milan

Give it a try. You won't void your warranty, they just might not fit.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,875 of 4,413
i have been thinking to get an custom tips for the um3x.
can anyone give me advice whether to get the custom tips or just stick to the shure olives?
any kind of advice will be appreciated

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3,876 of 4,413
Quote:
can anyone give me advice whether to get the custom tips or just stick to the shure olives?

For me, the medium shure olives cured me of the itch to upgrade to customs.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,877 of 4,413
Quote:
Got my second pair of these on the way. I'm looking at the JDS Labs C421 (leaning towards the AD8620 opamps); does anyone have experience with this combo? I'd be using it with my iPod (5.5g) and iPhone 4 via LOD.

Not sure if you are still in the market, but I reviewed both the c421 and um3-x on my blog.

A wonderful match!

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #3,878 of 4,413
Quote:
Not sure if you are still in the market, but I reviewed both the c421 and um3-x on my blog.

A wonderful match!

They are indeed! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I have been happily using them for a few weeks now.

Edit: Here's a photo I posted in the Portable Rig thread:

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,879 of 4,413
I also have been enjoying both um3x and sm3. Both share similar qualities. I prefer the instrument separation, layering, neutral and balanced sound of the um3x. The um3x is fascinating and interesting to hear how the music is played.

The sm3 excels with it's wider sound stage, more quantity sub and mid bass and treble. The sm3 has a thicker note which to my ears sounds better with electronic, rock and pop.  The sm3 is wonderful to listen to music as a whole.  

Both are great IEMs.

BTW, does anyone know of a full sized can that has similar sound signatures and SQ as either the um3x/sm3?

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,880 of 4,413
Quote:
I also have been enjoying both um3x and sm3. Both share similar qualities. I prefer the instrument separation, layering, neutral and balanced sound of the um3x. The um3x is fascinating and interesting to hear how the music is played.

The sm3 excels with it's wider sound stage, more quantity sub and mid bass and treble. The sm3 has a thicker note which to my ears sounds better with electronic, rock and pop.  The sm3 is wonderful to listen to music as a whole.  

Both are great IEMs.

BTW, does anyone know of a full sized can that has similar sound signatures and SQ as either the um3x/sm3?

Sennheiser HD650

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,882 of 4,413
Quote:
More like the um3x?

It's hard to explain. I would say it actually has elements of both, maybe closer to the sm3 due to the soundstage?

I'm just going by memory, I have briefly auditioned the HD650 and I sold the sm3 about 6 months ago. I never had a chance to A/B the two.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,883 of 4,413
Quote:

I have the UM56 custom tips that I bought once upon a time to go with the W4.  I find that the W4 benefits from the custom tips more so than the UM3X.  I prefer the Shure gray silicone tips on my UM3X for ease of insertion and removal.  I find the bass is tighter with silicone over foam but that's just what I've found.  I do like the shure olives too.

I've had my UM3X for about 6 months now.  Still one of my favorite universals with wonderfully intimate vocals and superb layering and separation.  I tend to just use them from the nano or iphone ho but they sounded pretty awesome with the O2 when I had it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3,884 of 4,413
Quote:

I have the UM56 custom tips that I bought once upon a time to go with the W4.  I find that the W4 benefits from the custom tips more so than the UM3X.  I prefer the Shure gray silicone tips on my UM3X for ease of insertion and removal.  I find the bass is tighter with silicone over foam but that's just what I've found.  I do like the shure olives too.

I've had my UM3X for about 6 months now.  Still one of my favorite universals with wonderfully intimate vocals and superb layering and separation.  I tend to just use them from the nano or iphone ho but they sounded pretty awesome with the O2 when I had it.

Quote:

For me, the medium shure olives cured me of the itch to upgrade to customs.

thanks. i guess im just gonna stick with the shure olives for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back