Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3,841 of 4,413

Quote:

The E7 vs E11 most likely won't be much of a difference, as the E7 won't override your iPod's DAC like it would with a computer source.  I've heard the E17 is a huge improvement though; you'll still be using your iPod's onboard DAC but from what I understand the E17 really improves the sound tremendously.  Not 100% on that.

I liked the E7 due to it's 2 output's which would help when comparing headphones as I keep losing my splitters and will also be good when showing someone a song and letting them plug in their earphones. However, I read a few reviews saying it sounds quite thin compared to the E11 which gives a much warmer sound (I like warmer sounds) which is why I'd probably got for the E11 but I've seen the E17 and I would like the ability to change the EQ so I'm tempted to go that route.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,843 of 4,413
YARSE!  My UM3Xs got in today.

I gotta say, coming from the Ety ER4Ps...  I am not at all disappointed :3  I'm loving them so far, though I've only been listening to them for an hour or so.

I'm not gonna make any blanket statements that they're more detailed/revealing than the Etys, but I'm reasonably confident in saying that I don't feel that anything is missing that I could hear with the Etys, I'm noticing things in familiar songs that I've never heard before and there's a sweetness that was never there with the ER4Ps.  Freakin' awesome.

The long thin Comply tips are great, though I'm still itching to try the black cylindrical foam tips that come with the  Etys.  Haven't tried any of the shroom/flange tips yet.  Interestingly I find the isolation almost on par with that of the ER4Ps (black foamies), and I like to wear them deep.

It'll be interesting to see how they fare under a motorbike helmet...

P.S. Westone, you need to swap out that in-line volume adapter with a shirt clip :p

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3,844 of 4,413

Quote:

I gotta say, coming from the Ety ER4Ps...  I am not at all disappointed :3  I'm loving them so far, though I've only been listening to them for an hour or so.

I'm not gonna make any blanket statements that they're more detailed/revealing than the Etys, but I'm reasonably confident in saying that I don't feel that anything is missing that I could hear with the Etys, I'm noticing things in familiar songs that I've never heard before and there's a sweetness that was never there with the ER4Ps.  Freakin' awesome.

The long thin Comply tips are great, though I'm still itching to try the black cylindrical foam tips that come with the  Etys.  Haven't tried any of the shroom/flange tips yet.  Interestingly I find the isolation almost on par with that of the ER4Ps (black foamies), and I like to wear them deep.

P.S. Westone, you need to swap out that in-line volume adapter with a shirt clip :p

haha its so funny how we got our headphones on the same exact day right!

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3,845 of 4,413
I just got my Black Foam Shure tips a few days ago, my god it makes a huge difference... Now that it is completely sealed I am amazed (and scared...) by the incredible isolation. I am also loving the sound. Before they seemed so weak and now I know it was because I did not have the proper seal. Comply tips certainly were not for my ears and not nearly as comfortable. 

As for amps, isn't the E17 a weaker amp than the E11? The E17 though has a 10 step bass and treble EQ ability that supposedly works extremely well. The DAC should be pretty much useless for an iPhone but if you are saying the UM3x is not exciting enough, bass and treble boosters could really change that up. It can raise and lower bass/treble by 5 steps in either direction.

One thing though, I heard that some people had an issue with the E17 digital volume control. It would sometimes take the volume control to max setting for no apparent reason. I could not fathom having such a thing happen to me when I have my earphones wedged tight in my ears. Sounds kind of dangerous.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3,846 of 4,413

Quote:

hey drag! I look forward to your review! here is mine http://www.head-fi.org/t/607664/westone-um3x-review

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,847 of 4,413
Its pretty simple.  ER4 one driver versus UM3x 3 drivers.
Not even in the same league.  ER4 might exhibit a bit more treble with its single driver but UM3X will provide much better detail in the midrange and bass.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,848 of 4,413
Honestly I'm not sure there's much else that needs to be covered after your review, though I might give it a shot when I get the Shure tips.  Everything that stands out is in that post I made regarding ER4P vs UM3x.  I've not got a great deal to compare to, you know (second pair of IEMs, one pair of headphones).

I'll post soe stuff up in your review thread once I get the Shures though.
Quote:

hey drag! I look forward to your review! here is mine http://www.head-fi.org/t/607664/westone-um3x-review

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3,850 of 4,413
Apr 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #3,852 of 4,413
Apr 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3,853 of 4,413
I don't quite understand how anyone could state the UM3X is boring.  I thoroughly enjoy listening to it.  Its non-fatiguing, the separation is great, the vocals and the guitar are gorgeous.... How is it considered non-musical?

May 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,854 of 4,413
it is a matter of preference..
to some people it begins and ends with instrument separation only..

musical is also when you get to see the whole picture of the music like what you get on the w4 and the great football sized soundstage of the ie80s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back