Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #3,361 of 4,413
The UM3Xs are very sensitive, that's why. I don't think they benefit much from amping but some think otherwise.
Have a look at this thread and decide for yourself:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476345/headphone-sensitivity-power-requirements-compared#post_6992714

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #3,362 of 4,413
I understand it is sensitive but for the past year, I have used my laptop as source with no hiss whatsoever
frown.gif

Then I built a pc, started having hiss issue. I thought it might be my pc that's too noisy so I hoped that dac would resolved the issue by pumping out cleaner signals. 

Is anything I can do to mitigate the problem?

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #3,364 of 4,413
Sometimes I use them with my Macbook Pro but usually with my Ipod Classic 160Gb + Ibasso D4 Mamba and I've never heard the tiniest hissing from either. And if my ears are not deceiving me, they do benefit from amping greatly! 

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3,366 of 4,413
I just wanted to write and thank you guys for giving me all the necessary information to pull the trigger on these headphones (UM3X with removable cable)! I just bought them and tried them on for a couple of hours now and I must say, I love them already. Listening to trance/house/"other genre here" is so much more enjoyable now
wink.gif

I have a question as well, the dealer only had the old revision (aka box without a orange dot on it). Should I return the headphones to Westone or should I keep them? I hear no rattle, but the sound on the right earpiece sounds a little muted - but I think that is because I am new to inserting these headphones with Shure foams sleeves.

Once again, thanks Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #3,367 of 4,413
Hi Xfinity,

My friend bough a Westone UM3X with removable cable, and he got the problem that they were talking about, so he sent it back to Westone and they sent him a new one but.... the new UM3X had two problems, the first one was that the right earpiece sounds a little muted, and the left side was open because Westone did not put the right amount of glue on it. He told me that the muted problem was because the right earpiece had a filter and the left one did not.
confused_face_2.gif
So Westone are sending him another Westone UM3X (I hope the 3th one work properly) . I found a funny detail, because I bought a Westone 3 some time ago, and it came with problems on the right side of the phone, it seemed like something was loose, and the quality control card was showing the initials LS, but the problem with my friend's UM3X also had the initials LS on his quality control card.
mad.gif
  He was lucky, because he purchased from an authorized dealer and received a new IEM. And in my case, Westone said they could not exchange my W3 because I bought it from an unauthorized dealer, so I lost my $400.00.
I just think Westone had to greatly improve quality control for their headphones. Or they should inquire more about this employee with initials LS, and see what is the problem! So Xfinity, think you should call Westone and talk about your problem with the righ earpeace.

Quote:
I just wanted to write and thank you guys for giving me all the necessary information to pull the trigger on these headphones (UM3X with removable cable)! I just bought them and tried them on for a couple of hours now and I must say, I love them already. Listening to trance/house/"other genre here" is so much more enjoyable now
wink.gif

I have a question as well, the dealer only had the old revision (aka box without a orange dot on it). Should I return the headphones to Westone or should I keep them? I hear no rattle, but the sound on the right earpiece sounds a little muted - but I think that is because I am new to inserting these headphones with Shure foams sleeves.

Once again, thanks Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #3,368 of 4,413
Thanks for your reply rmappita!

The initials on my quality control card is CM and not LS, but its to bad that Westone has such quality control problem regardless who controls the headphones. For $400 you should expect more in that regard.

I will contact Westone by mail (I live in Sweden) and see what they/I could do. 

Cheers!

Quote:
Hi Xfinity,

My friend bough a Westone UM3X with removable cable, and he got the problem that they were talking about, so he sent it back to Westone and they sent him a new one but.... the new UM3X had two problems, the first one was that the right earpiece sounds a little muted, and the left side was open because Westone did not put the right amount of glue on it. He told me that the muted problem was because the right earpiece had a filter and the left one did not.
confused_face_2.gif
So Westone are sending him another Westone UM3X (I hope the 3th one work properly) . I found a funny detail, because I bought a Westone 3 some time ago, and it came with problems on the right side of the phone, it seemed like something was loose, and the quality control card was showing the initials LS, but the problem with my friend's UM3X also had the initials LS on his quality control card.
mad.gif
  He was lucky, because he purchased from an authorized dealer and received a new IEM. And in my case, Westone said they could not exchange my W3 because I bought it from an unauthorized dealer, so I lost my $400.00.
I just think Westone had to greatly improve quality control for their headphones. Or they should inquire more about this employee with initials LS, and see what is the problem! So Xfinity, think you should call Westone and talk about your problem with the righ earpeace.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3,369 of 4,413
You are welcome Xfinity, I hope you can get your "problem" fixed! =) And YES, $400 is a lot of money and think I should expect more from Westone. Now I'm saving to get a JH 11 or JH13
L3000.gif

Cheers,
    Rodrigo

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #3,370 of 4,413
Ok Updating..............

Westone did not sent him a UM3X but a UM2 box. So he did not opened the UM2 and I sent a e-mail to Westone. My friend was so sad with all the problems he had with Westone, but Kyle was always sending him fast e-mails and told my friend that he could keep the UM2 "for the inconvenience and problems he had" and they were sending him a new UM3X (OK that was nice). BUT the funny thing is to come, when he opened the UM2 box he found a UM3X not a UM2.............. So after he get the new UM3X, he sent westone a e-mail telling them about this strange event, and Kyle asked him if he could send the UM3X and UM2 box back to Westone. So again, what is going on with Westone's quality control??

Som pictures:

First replacement:

Second replacement: UM2 Box with UM3X inside

Rodrigo from Brazil

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #3,371 of 4,413
Quote:
Ok Updating..............

Westone did not sent him a UM3X but a UM2 box. So he did not opened the UM2 and I sent a e-mail to Westone. My friend was so sad with all the problems he had with Westone, but Kyle was always sending him fast e-mails and told my friend that he could keep the UM2 "for the inconvenience and problems he had" and they were sending him a new UM3X (OK that was nice). BUT the funny thing is to come, when he opened the UM2 box he found a UM3X not a UM2.............. So after he get the new UM3X, he sent westone a e-mail telling them about this strange event, and Kyle asked him if he could send the UM3X and UM2 box back to Westone. So again, what is going on with Westone's quality control??

Som pictures:

<Removed the pictures>

Rodrigo from Brazil

I am sorry to hear your friends troubles and I hope everything will get sorted in the end.

I just sent my UM3X to Westone for replacement. Now I am nervous that they will send me a) wrong product back and/or b) another faulty headphones. I want to enjoy my new headphones
wink.gif
... I can still remember how sweet they sounded when I shipped them (except the right side
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #3,372 of 4,413
Hi Xfinity,

Hope you get a good UM3X! 
L3000.gif

Cheers!

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #3,374 of 4,413
Is sleeping with headphones detrimental to them? I don't want to damage my Westones by putting too much pressure on them or something.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #3,375 of 4,413
Nope. The worse you could do is put pressure on the tip nossils by having them push into your ears... but since they are so flush and you're sleeping on a pillow you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you have it so the volume stays low or the player cuts off after a while because it isn't really good for your ears :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back