Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #3,331 of 4,413
I followed the SM3 as well (including the one that got closed). Not so much with this one. It's clear that my opinion is different from yours. Case in point, the term IMO.

Quote:
I have followed both of the SM3 threads (the first one was closed) from the start (which is over 4000 replies) and this one for a while, as I wanted to evaluate these 2 contenders as my next purchase.

I can honestly say that your evaluation bears no resembalance to how those threads have panned out IMO. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #3,332 of 4,413
I don't get the IE8 veil.  It just isn't.  Sure it's warm, bass dominant, and the driver is a little sluggish on the top end, but even after reading about its "veil" I could never agree.  I had the UM3X, Triple.Fi 10, and SE530 at the same time I had the IE8, and I could never call the IE8 veiled.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #3,333 of 4,413

Quote:
After listing to my UM3X for a few weeks I've concluded that it is a very different beast from my other iems. It doesn't have a midbass hump but it has a deep impact and excellent low end extension. Mids are forward but vocals are even more forward. It feels like singers are singing right in the middle of my head and the rest of the music is enveloped in a 3D headstage. The 3D imaging is phenomenal. The highs are almost identical the IE8's. Soft with excellent extension so it's not prone to sibilance and won't create listener fatigue. The major complaint about the UM3X is that it sounds too constricted and I agree with statement when using tips with narrow openings. Even my UM56 tips didn't alleviate the problem. It sounds more open using the sensorcom tips and that is when I realized how good they really are. If I got them with just the foam tips like when they originally started to ship, I would have sold them off quickly.  The separation and details are the best I've heard from any of my universal iems except for possibly the Etymotic ER4B but I sold them a while ago. To me, it's one of those iems that people would either love or hate. That UM3X vs. SM3 thread is a joke. I own both and the SM3 is not vastly superior to the UM3X likes it's made out to be in that thread. They excel in different areas but one doesn't blow away the other.

I use the UM3X the most with the Westone single flange silicone tips, and not the UM56 or Complys.  The Silicone tips have the most fun but balanced sound for me, and the most open.  I use those other tips more on the W3 which balances out their sound more.

Quote:
I don't get the IE8 veil.  It just isn't.  Sure it's warm, bass dominant, and the driver is a little sluggish on the top end, but even after reading about its "veil" I could never agree.  I had the UM3X, Triple.Fi 10, and SE530 at the same time I had the IE8, and I could never call the IE8 veiled.

Right out of my iPhone or iPod and even many amps the IE8's dominant bass could give the illusion of a "veil", because I'd have to turn them down to get the bass to back off and then the mids and highs would back off too and sound recessed.  With the right source/amp synergy the IE8 bass would be controlled well enough to not intrude on the rest of the frequencies.  When I used the ALO Amphora amp with the IE8 they became one of the best universal IEM I had ever heard.  Once I almost forgot I was using the IE8 because the Amphora and IE8 was such a good pairing.  It's in no way a bass-lite amp, but somehow the pairing took away that bass dominance over the mids and highs. 

But switching to one of my high end portable amps took away all the magic.  It was difficult to enjoy the IE8 with any of my high-end portable amps (like Predator, P-51, Pico, 3MOVE, XM5, D10, D4, etc).  I had a couple of $99 amps that would give the IE8 the right tonal balance, but they were not as detailed, transparent or spacious as my better amps (Vivid Audio Tech V1 and Nuforce Icon Mobile).

I spent a lot of time with various tips for IE8 including biflange silicone tips bought off eBay or taken off my Head-Direct IEM, and sony hybrid silicone tips.  That helped a little, but not enough to make me keep them.  On the other hand, I'll never sell the UM3X (or W3, W2 and MTPG).

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #3,334 of 4,413
For other noobs like myself out there I want to share this most recent experience.  After deciding on keeping the UM3X's (over the 535's), I was happy until a few days ago I really began to notice that the high-end was GONE from my monitors.  Everything was really veiled, not crisp at all.  Mids were still present, lows were still luscious, but the s's and t's of vocals, cymbals, hi-hats, were all missing and super-retreated in the sound.

I was majorly frustrated and disappointed to say the least, especially as it took two returns to finally get a pair of UM3X's that worked (3rd time was the charm).  I thought it might have been a negative burn-in experience with these, since I've been listening to them so much.

BUT!!  Happy to report it was nothing more than the standard tips I was using.  I've experienced a little bit of swelling in my ear canal since this is all new to me, and I'm thinking that the swelling was preventing the end of the tip from opening all the way.  There's quite a bit of foam overlap on these tips, and it must have been staying compacted.

So, I think I may pursue the custom UM56 tips.  Right now I put on the gray rubber tips, and they seem to be providing decent isolation and have opened up the high-end again since they're not into my ear canal.  All's well again in UM3X land.

Hope that helps someone else - enjoy!
Jared  - an IEM Noob -

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #3,335 of 4,413
[size=medium]So got my UM3x’s earlier in the week.  I will like to first start out saying that I am somewhat of a noob at this, but hopefully this will help others out in the same boat.[/size]

[size=medium]I have had other lower – mid tier iems including B&Os, Shure 115s, UE Metrofis, and ER4Ps.  Each one except for the ER4s came after either just talking to the salesperson at the Apple store or Best Buy.  They were all ok, but for what you got they were way overpriced.  Case in point the BO’s were the same price as ER4’s and not anywhere near as good.  Shure’s bought out of a vending machine on a trip, enough said. [/size]

[size=medium]After finding this forum, I first decided on the ER4s before a work trip.  I wanted something that sounded great, crisp, and would block out the sound of the regional prop plane I always have to take.  The ER4s were amazing and I loved their sound signature, although after a few hours of listening they would get very fatiguing.  Both in terms of sound and comfort.  It wasn’t bad but I still wanted more.  [/size]

[size=medium]I started looking at all the top tier universals including SM3s, UM3Xs, TF10, Sure 535 (although I thought their lower tier 115s sucked), and even thought about JH5’s.  I also considered EQ-7, CK10/100, and DBAs’ but ruled them out.[/size]

[size=medium]Personally, I like a sound signature that is pretty flat, and like detail, separation, and tight bass in just the right place.  In the end it came down to the SM3s and UM3x.  I pulled the trigger on the UM3s based on their detail and separation, bass, removable cable, and westones reputation.  I ended up ordering through soundearphones with 15% off coup “site15” and received a pair of the newer ones with the orange dot on the bottom (inspection 9/10).  [/size]

[size=medium]I must say these are awesome.  I drive them with my Iphone 3gs and they are very easy to drive.  Before with the ER4Ps I would need to turn them almost all the way up and they really didn’t have that extra punch when I really wanted to rock out.  The UM3Xs do.  [/size]

[size=medium]Build -  Great.  The cable is awesome.  Lays very flat and very flexible with almost no memory. The housing is very sturdy. [/size]

[size=medium]Fit – Compared to the others owned, far and away the best fit.  Tried every tip and found the grey silicon tips give the best sound.  As others have said the sound is tip dependent.  The housing fits perfect in my ears.  I really like the memory wire.[/size]

[size=medium]Bass – Very punchy in the right places.  Its very noticible, but not overbearing.  Doesn’t get in the way of the mids.  Coming from ER4s, it definitely was not too much as I was worried.  [/size]

[size=medium]Mids --  Great.  Seperation of instruments is amazing.  Guitars sound perfect to me.[/size]

[size=medium]Treble -  I was worried after reading the reviews and coming from ER4s that I would miss the highs.  I will say that I actually prefer the UM3s to the ER4 in terms of highs.  That is coming from someone who loved them on the ER4.  I think they are well placed and don’t fatigue. [/size]

[size=medium]Overall I love these and will probably get rid of everything else.  The only upgrade I will now consider is the ES5 or JH13, but not for a long while.[/size]

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #3,336 of 4,413

Quote:
For other noobs like myself out there I want to share this most recent experience.  After deciding on keeping the UM3X's (over the 535's), I was happy until a few days ago I really began to notice that the high-end was GONE from my monitors.  Everything was really veiled, not crisp at all.  Mids were still present, lows were still luscious, but the s's and t's of vocals, cymbals, hi-hats, were all missing and super-retreated in the sound.

I was majorly frustrated and disappointed to say the least, especially as it took two returns to finally get a pair of UM3X's that worked (3rd time was the charm).  I thought it might have been a negative burn-in experience with these, since I've been listening to them so much.

BUT!!  Happy to report it was nothing more than the standard tips I was using.  I've experienced a little bit of swelling in my ear canal since this is all new to me, and I'm thinking that the swelling was preventing the end of the tip from opening all the way.  There's quite a bit of foam overlap on these tips, and it must have been staying compacted.

So, I think I may pursue the custom UM56 tips.  Right now I put on the gray rubber tips, and they seem to be providing decent isolation and have opened up the high-end again since they're not into my ear canal.  All's well again in UM3X land.

Hope that helps someone else - enjoy!
Jared  - an IEM Noob -

you should try Shure Olive, I only use comply unless I am on plane trip that I need absolute quiet.

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #3,337 of 4,413
Hey guys! I just recently posted my very first review/comparison on the UM3x here on head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515477/westone-um3x-review-comparisons

Please check it out!

If anyone needs further ideas/examples/etc about the UM3x before buying em, I think my post should help a lot! I know I used this appreciation thread to do a lot of my research on them so I wanted to contribute also. Thanks!

- Brian

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #3,338 of 4,413
I've had the the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro for a number of years now and whilst it suffered a number of cable problems the replaceable cable feature was handy.  The outer casing of the UE's cracked over a year ago and I'm now looking to re-enter the high end IEM's.  

I've tossed up between the Westone 3 and the UM3X (and maybe the 535's) for sometime now.  Are the UM3's well suited for commuting and do they cause listening fatigue? I'm really leaning towards the UM3X because of the replaceable cable and the history I've had with faulty cables.  I'm also very keen to use custom sleeves with my next IEMs too!  

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #3,339 of 4,413

Quote:
I've had the the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro for a number of years now and whilst it suffered a number of cable problems the replaceable cable feature was handy.  The outer casing of the UE's cracked over a year ago and I'm now looking to re-enter the high end IEM's.  

I've tossed up between the Westone 3 and the UM3X (and maybe the 535's) for sometime now.  Are the UM3's well suited for commuting and do they cause listening fatigue? I'm really leaning towards the UM3X because of the replaceable cable and the history I've had with faulty cables.  I'm also very keen to use custom sleeves with my next IEMs too!  

The cable is very sturdy and should something happen to it, i think it costs only $35 (I may be wrong) to replace them. Fatiguing? Absolutely no! If I don't have to give my ears some rest, I'd say I can listen to them for hours and hours without the slightest fatigue. They are smooth as silk!

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #3,340 of 4,413

The cable is very sturdy and should something happen to it, i think it costs only $35 (I may be wrong) to replace them. Fatiguing? Absolutely no! If I don't have to give my ears some rest, I'd say I can listen to them for hours and hours without the slightest fatigue. They are smooth as silk!

When I had the un3xs I could litterallynlisten at comfortable to somewhat loud volumes for ours on end without ear fatigue. As comfortable as the IEMs are (pretty much any IEM with that form factor) I would get irritation from them being in my ears too long rather than problems from the sound.

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #3,341 of 4,413
BOOM!  I've just ordered a pair of UM3X's direct from Westone
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3,342 of 4,413
Just thought I'd pop in say how amazed I am at how well these scale with a good home amplifier. Out of my Matrix Cube DAC/AMP the sound was great, until I tried the UM3X with my M^3. WOW the bass! I never knew these UM3X could put out that much! These are truly amazing IEMs 
biggrin.gif
 Instrument separation, soundstage, bass...truly amazing I must say. 

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #3,343 of 4,413

Quote:
Just thought I'd pop in say how amazed I am at how well these scale with a good home amplifier. Out of my Matrix Cube DAC/AMP the sound was great, until I tried the UM3X with my M^3. WOW the bass! I never knew these UM3X could put out that much! These are truly amazing IEMs 
biggrin.gif
 Instrument separation, soundstage, bass...truly amazing I must say. 

I completely agree with you, with the right amp the bass goes even deeper and produces boom.  I have it pairing with my Pico Slim and I love it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back