Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #3,226 of 4,413
^^ You should not open the package and just send it back, and you can send it by normal post and get the new model instead. It's worth the wait and hassle, believe me.

Not only do you get a fit kit with 10 ear tips, you also get detachable cables (the braiding of the new cable is also better than last year's model), an inline volume control, a 1/4" adapter, and a better travel case. The choice of tips is crucial for a good fit, isolation & good SQ. I personally found the Comply tips (the only ones included in the older model) wrong sounding and painful.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #3,227 of 4,413
EarMonkey.
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Thanks for tip. Yes, If I do get the UM3x (which seems kind of likely right now...) I'll get the ones with the kit and removable cables.

Cheers

shane

Quote:
Hello everyone, just joined the forum. I'm rather new to serious earphones, but rather old hat at the high end audio game. You've got a nice forum here!

For my first post I'd like to throw out a warning to all that are looking to buy the UM3X right now. I just purchased mine through earphone solutions (quick service!) with an overnight delivery - due today. I selected the hardwired version to save $20.00. Last night I was researching and found out that the newer version comes with the fit kit and, according to the Ear Solutions website, the hardwired version does not. I noticed on Westone's site that the fit kit is $25.00. So I just paid a few bucks more and don't have the replacable cables!! That's what happens when you're in a rush (leaving on a trip tomorrow and wanted these quick) INTERESTED PARTIES - do not make this mistake!

Anyway thanks to all the posters on the board. You really helped make my decision. Now it's up to my ears so I'll let you know the results.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #3,228 of 4,413
Welcome. I would contact Earphonesolutions and ask for a swap before you even open the packages. They should be happy to do it, and get it all straightened out. You send back the hardwired UM3X and fit kit at your expense, they ship you the new UM3X. As long as no boxes are opened, what's the harm? Even if it costs you a little extra, having the replaceable cable is worth it all in my view.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #3,230 of 4,413
So I'm jumping-in to my 1st and 2nd pair of IEM's in this new-found fascination of mine.  Bought the Shure SE535's first and loved them.  Incredibly crisp, clear, hearing things in recordings I had never heard.  The instrument separation was incredible.  Really an incredible experience - though the low-end was a little light maybe, but not a lot - the detail was amazing.  I'm a musician and vocalist, so not having a heavy low-end wasn't necessarily a turn-off for me.

But coupling the sound with incredible build-quality, removable cables (I bought a Shure integrated iPhone/Mic control cable to replace the standard), and the awesomely comfortable olive tips: I loved them.

Being the noob I am, I slightly bent the nozzle out of round and the filter moved down a bit when changing out the tips for the first time - side note: manufacturer's tips are crazy hard to remove - so I had to send them back under EarPhone Solutions return policy.  Kudos to them for excellent cust. svc by the way.

Went ahead and ordered a pair of UM3X's (new replaceable cable model) along with the replacement SE535's.  I had heard that the UM3X has considerably more defined low-end, so I was kind of looking forward to a richer sound and and comparing the two models.

>>>

Got them in today.  Big-time disappointment in the quality of the UM3X.  First of all the left monitor doesn't work.  Sound is incredibly faint - definitely broken - so it will have to go back.  I'm not sure if this is a knock on Westone or if Earphone Solutions gets discounted/refurb models from somewhere??  I also switched the monitors on the cables, and the faintness followed the monitor, so it's not a cable issue.

That and the housings and cables just feel cheaper to me - especially compared with the heavy-duty 535's: the 535's just felt like more substantial gear.  The UM3X shorter cable is also not as much to my liking.  The tips were comfortable, though.  Seemed to do a good job of isolation.

Listening in just one ear it was impossible to form an informed opinion on their sound.  But it did seem a little veiled on the high-end.  But again, that's not really fair to the phones without hearing a working pair.

>>>

My solution so far: I will send the UM3X's back to see if I like them when testing a functional pair.  I've heard so many great things about them (at least about the old/non-removable cable version), I'm sure they're good phones - I just am disappointed in their quality of construction.  They don't feel as substantial as the 535's.

>>>

The 535's are again sparkling, stellar.  Especially on acoustic selections, the vocals are amazingly crisp, bright and present.  The low-end may still be a little light to some, but I've found a solution that works for me as well: I turn my iPhone EQ setting to either Electronic or Rock.  So far, Electronic seems to be my favorite.

With those two settings employed, I think the 535's have won me out over the UM3X's.  I have seen enough positive feedback to give the UM3X's a fighting chance, but I don't know that they'll be able to unseat my 535's.

>>>

Cheers to all on such a great forum.  I've learned a ton stalking these threads over the past few weeks.

BTW - is that a no-no amongst audio-philes?  Both the iPhone? and the EQ setting use?  Due to portability and usability, I'm pretty much locked-in to using the iPhone as my source.  But the EQ I felt might be a little bit of a cheat to the 535's - but hey, it works for me.  :)

Thanks to all,
Jared

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #3,231 of 4,413
^^ Re: the cable, looks are deceptive and the Westone cable (or the like) is the standard used by professional musicians. It's much stronger than you think, though it doesn't look it. Other advantages are the complete lack of microphonics and total flexibility. Yes, the SE535 cable looks stunning by comparison and seems much stronger, but I found it too stiff and often 'getting in the way'.

As for SQ, perhaps in the end the UM3X is not for you. My advice, however, is to give them a little time. I was personally not wowed at first, and also felt (having come from the brighter sounding Westone 3) that something was missing. However, after half an hour or so I gradually began to appreciate it's treble, fantastic mids and tight bass. I then regarded the UM3X treble as quite remarkable.

One great aspect, in my view, is the absolutely non-listening fatigue when using the UM3X - I can easily go on for hours at a time with them. With the W3 & SE535, because of their more prominent treble (and bass on the W3), my ears soon had enough. I also soon discovered with the UM3X that all the detail in the high-end was really there, just not 'piercing' through my ears. When I had my iPod Classic on a couple of albums - eg Animals by Pink Floyd - I used the acoustic setting.

But, like I said, perhaps they're not your cup of tea in the end.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #3,232 of 4,413
I wish westone made their cables thick like the TWAG cables.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #3,233 of 4,413
My set of UM3X's just came in a few days ago.  I've been burning them in as much as possible, but from what I can tell they're absolutely perfect for me. 

I had a set of UM2's, and they were wonderful (actually, I still have them but I sent them in to Westone for repair).  But compared to these bad boys, they don't compare.  The mids and highs on the UM3X's are crystal clear.  The lows are some of the best I've heard on any IEM -- not as powerful or 'rumbly' as the Westone 3 my friend has, but smooth and detailed.

Speaking of which, the detail of this IEM is probably what I like most about it.  I hear things on this IEM that I don't hear anywhere else.  And all of what I hear seems incredibly accurate.

So far, I'm extremely impressed.  Definitely going to retire my UM2's.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #3,234 of 4,413

Quote:
Speaking of which, the detail of this IEM is probably what I like most about it.  I hear things on this IEM that I don't hear anywhere else.  And all of what I hear seems incredibly accurate.

The mids details are just awesome aren't they?
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3,235 of 4,413

Quote:
I wish westone made their cables thick like the TWAG cables.

Yea definitely. Of course it might get a little aggrivating when I'm trying to do something and they get in the way but I do like the idea.

Quote:

I had a set of UM2's, and they were wonderful (actually, I still have them but I sent them in to Westone for repair).  But compared to these bad boys, they don't compare.  The mids and highs on the UM3X's are crystal clear.  The lows are some of the best I've heard on any IEM -- not as powerful or 'rumbly' as the Westone 3 my friend has, but smooth and detailed.

Same way I felt man. I loved the detail and sense of power that these IEMs had. I sold them to help fund for my K702s and although I love the phones i have now, the UM3Xs were amazing.

Quote:
The mids details are just awesome aren't they?
biggrin.gif

Yes they are.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #3,236 of 4,413
just a question - how does the detail retrieval of the UM3X stack up against Etymotic iems?

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #3,237 of 4,413

Quote:
just a question - how does the detail retrieval of the UM3X stack up against Etymotic iems?

More detail. The sound isn't as bright but..... wow
When I had my UM3Xs and listened to classical through my T51 LO and ALO Rx, I would hear individual pages flipped, exactly which string was being played on a violin, acoustic guitarists moving in their seats... it was amazing. The imaging was phoenominal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back