Westone UM3X Thread
May 28, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #3,106 of 4,413

Quote:
Ah, great way to start month of May with another new FOTM
biggrin.gif

what the hell does FOTM mean. makin up ur own abreviations

May 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #3,107 of 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif but they have a break-in period and they are getting better and better.

My music file of choice is 320 bit-rate mp3

Shure said something about no need to burn in earphones.  In essence the surround, which is the part that flexes when a speaker diaphragm moves in and out, maybe needed to be flexed (burned in) a number of times to work efficiently, but there is no burn-in on balanced armature headphones without speakers.  So without that official document...
Quote:
Bilavideo said:

I agree with both answers above and partly with the cynical dismissal crowd. If you have a diaphragm straight from the factory, there may well be something to the idea that the material is stiffer before it has been used for the first time and that a certain amount of use can loosen it up a little, enough to be noticed by nerds with notepads. Then again, the audio world is also soaking in hype and placebos.

Not all claims of burn-in have equal plausibility. Tell me that a stiff paper cone needs a little use to loosen up and I'm there. Expand that idea to tell me that I have to run so much juice through my wires to properly "burn them in," and I'm laughing till rootbeer comes out my nostrils.

If such a thing as burn-in occurs, most of it is psychological - but not because the burn-in believers are nuts. Far from it. Listening to music is not a purely objective experience. When I got my first pair of eyeglasses, I was surprised at how it took time for my brain to adjust. It was a reminder that perception isn't passive; it involves active participation on the part of the perceiver. An old friend of mine once went to a bluegrass festival. On day one, it all sounded the same; by day three, there was so much variety, she couldn't believe she'd ever missed it. We tune in.

You'd think that listening to music with better cans would make you such an elitist that you could never again enjoy the same music through a car radio. Ironically, that's not the case. After hearing music through my Grados, I found myself catching things - even though my car radio - that were there all along. I just needed to have it brought out. This kind of burn-in occurs with BA drivers, too, but it's more of a change in consciousness.

Anybody have a link to the Sure burn-in explanation?
Quote:
ClieOS said:

Yeah that's it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01   My music file of choice is 320 bit-rate mp3

Gadget01, Is this because you cannot hear any difference above 320kbps?

May 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #3,111 of 4,413
using these and Ety4p with iPod/Tomahawk/Portaphile combinations.  So far, the Etys have a more crystalline sound with some better bass.  Not "deeper" bass, but more well-defined bass. I now question if the bass is being more pronounced by the Ety and/or if the proper bass is being heard with the UM3X; in other words, how was the music SUPPOSED to sound vs. how it's being presented by the different IEMs.  Neither is unpleasant, just different

Then too, Icontinue to play with eartips.  quite tempted to buy Comply 100 since it fits both IEMs; haven't liked the Olive because Idon't get the isolation I'd prefer, and do like the Comply"P" because they seem to go deeper into the ear and make the bass blossom a bit more.  Not a "bass-head" by any means, but if Miles Davis' group has some decent underlying basslines would like to hear them and not have them recessed which so far the UM3X seems to do

May 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #3,113 of 4,413

Quote:
using these and Ety4p with iPod/Tomahawk/Portaphile combinations.  So far, the Etys have a more crystalline sound with some better bass.  Not "deeper" bass, but more well-defined bass. I now question if the bass is being more pronounced by the Ety and/or if the proper bass is being heard with the UM3X; in other words, how was the music SUPPOSED to sound vs. how it's being presented by the different IEMs.  Neither is unpleasant, just different

Then too, Icontinue to play with eartips.  quite tempted to buy Comply 100 since it fits both IEMs; haven't liked the Olive because Idon't get the isolation I'd prefer, and do like the Comply"P" because they seem to go deeper into the ear and make the bass blossom a bit more.  Not a "bass-head" by any means, but if Miles Davis' group has some decent underlying basslines would like to hear them and not have them recessed which so far the UM3X seems to do

Comply tips dampen the highs and make the bass more pronounced. Try some single flanged silicon tips and see what you can find. IMO switching from Complys to UE silicons (recore) gave a new perspective on the IEM. 

IMO comparing th 4Ps with the UM3Xs (with Comply tips) is like comparing a..... (and this is probably wrong but you get the idea) two different ferraris but one having regular road tires and one having slicks (on a racetrack). 

May 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #3,114 of 4,413
Anyone tried the UM3x with a Supermacro 3? (I'm pretty sure I have version 5). I ordered a pair w/ removable cables and should be receiving them next week if all goes well. They will be replacing a broken pair of Shure E4s (stupid cables).

This will be my setup: iPhone 3Gs -> TWcu LOD -> Xin Supermacro-3  -> UM3X-RC

May 30, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3,118 of 4,413
Poll: How do you wear your stage monitors?

Please click your pick at..

Some used to wear them "Y," in back, cord over my shoulders.  Then by accident I was holding them in my hand when I put the cord over my ear.  The "Y," was just hanging under my chin, and out of the way.  Now there is a Poll to see how you wear yours?

How do you wear your UM3x?

Poll click here.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back