Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #2,701 of 4,413
I just wanted to drop in and add my 2cents. I love my UM3x. Only had them for about 6 hrs now but I am very pleased so far...more to come.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2,702 of 4,413
Glad you like them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good thing to have different sound signature IEMs. Example, PFEs/ER4s are for clarity, and UM3Xs for mids and imaging. Both have their own sweet spots, still love my UM3Xs.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #2,703 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by miprasetya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's cost me only around USD 14, I thought the result it would be similar to UM56 tips, and looks like i'm so wrong.
The tips makes mid sounds becomes too forward and the UM3x even more "dry" in every aspect, is there someone could explain why the result is to far from my expectation?thanks (sorry for my english)

Depth, seal, and material all effect the sound (and I would argue in that order from greatest to least). I would say that you are not making a realistic reproduction of the UM56 tips on any of those three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3, UM3X and ES3X do tend to reveal hiss in an amp or source that previously did not show hiss, in part because of their very high sensitivity (more than the low impedance which is also a factor).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X picks up more than a lot of cheaper earphones. If it's out there, the UM3X is more likely to reveal it. This is where a better pair of earphones will bring out the imperfections in the rest of your setup.

I agree, the rest of the playback chain's flaws becomes more noticeable. I had a zero and a little dot. The (almost stock) zero had atrocious noise with the westones, and I could hear a faint pinging/ringing (mostly in the left channel) as the tubes and casing heated up and expanded on the little dot for the first 30 minutes or so. Only heard the zero noise a tiny bit with my ety er-6 set.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2,704 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The Shure soft flex just didnt work for me (and actually came off the phone on several occasions when taking them off)....

is it possible you tried the wrong Shure Soft Flex sleeves? the version that is made for the older Shure e2c phones have a wider nozzle, so they would slip off of the UM3X pretty easily.

my Soft Flex sleeves fit on the UM3X incredibly firmly; there's really no way i could imagine them coming off in my ear.

having said that, the UM56 gets great reports, so i imagine you'll be happier with them.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2,705 of 4,413
I cut the tip which extends over the tube, now the treble is a little clearer. I shorten the tip a bit more, now little more treble and bass sounds a bit more defined.
um3xtipmod.jpg

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #2,706 of 4,413
I'm not crazy about the cable though. Seems a little delicate.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #2,708 of 4,413
Well I just bought the new Westone 2 guys. The cable is supposed to be better, and stronger and what not.

After I get them, and enjoy my new phones for a bit.. Maybe someone here will want to swap for a few weeks to compare. Plus I'd like to here the UM series. but I'd rather hear a 3 but I doubt anyone will wanna downtrade for a few weeks. lol.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #2,709 of 4,413
I've heard a lot about the "buzzing" on these as well as the UM2 and I just wanted to know would there be buzzing if I used them with an iPod Touch (1g)?

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #2,710 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after reading the first few pages and the last it seems like the um3x does the following against the w3's:

1)less bass but more accurate
2)better presentation of the mids
3) lowered the highs

and therefore......built the se530's

I could very well be wrong, but thats the conclusion i can draw from everyone's comments... but we'll see once i get a pair to try myself. I'm pretty curious now

This post may have been addressed in the many pages following it but I'll say it anyway.

The UM3x is far better then the SE530. This is what the SE530 should have sounded like if it was done in a true audiophile fashion and not geared for the masses.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2,711 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible you tried the wrong Shure Soft Flex sleeves? the version that is made for the older Shure e2c phones have a wider nozzle, so they would slip off of the UM3X pretty easily.

my Soft Flex sleeves fit on the UM3X incredibly firmly; there's really no way i could imagine them coming off in my ear.

No they were the ones from the SE series. The older E2C ones barely even grip the tube. I guess the problem is that the tube on the UM3X dont have a bump like the Shures, so sleeves can come off if the tube/tip is oily.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #2,712 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeusAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a lot about the "buzzing" on these as well as the UM2 and I just wanted to know would there be buzzing if I used them with an iPod Touch (1g)?

I have had the UM3X for a month or two so far and really the only glaring problem with these IEMs is their sensitivity. I cannot imagine why they need to be so LOUD. I listen to them at the lowest possible volume on my ipod and I can still hear the buzzing. I would presume that the 2s are the same, you could compare the ohms and the sensitivity of the two to be sure. I fixed the problem with a volume attenuator which, I think, the 2s come with. Not the perfect fix as this is just another piece of equipment to carry around, but the easiest fix I am aware of.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #2,713 of 4,413
I also bought my UM3x recently too and I am enjoying them. I've never heard any buzzing coming from my ipod headphone jack. I am, however, using a old 5th generation ipod. All in all, I think this is the best IEMs I have ever owned.

Edit: now that you mention it, they are a bit loud (still no buzzing though) but it isn't so bad.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #2,714 of 4,413
I got my UM3X

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #2,715 of 4,413
I just got my UM3X last saturday. I was going for the new Westone 2, then decided to get the UM2, and finally settled on the UM3X, simply because I didn't want to upgrade later. Sadly, I just notice that the right cable is loose where it joins the phone. It hasn't affected the sound yet, but I wonder if thids is normal of these phones, or if I got a deffective unit. If so, is there someone to contact, or should I send them derectly to westone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back