Westone UM3X Thread
Dec 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #2,716 of 4,413
Just got My UMX3's this weekend. LOVE them.
ksc75smile.gif

I have listened to them through My clip+, sony X and touch2G. Sound is fantastic to my ears, no buzzing or ill behavior.

I have read some that describe this IEM an dull or no fun, but for me they wake the music up. Bass is just about perfect for me (and I was woried about that in perticular, bit of a bass head....) mids are rich and detailed. The highs are a bit player dependant, but with the clip they are fantastic.
The sony X is brand new, the only thing I have listened to on it is a few of the tracks that were pre-loaded, so I cant wait to load some tracks on it.

They flat out dominate My old Shure 310's. I would recomend them highly
darthsmile.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #2,717 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by metabaron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my UM3X last saturday. I was going for the new Westone 2, then decided to get the UM2, and finally settled on the UM3X, simply because I didn't want to upgrade later. Sadly, I just notice that the right cable is loose where it joins the phone. It hasn't affected the sound yet, but I wonder if thids is normal of these phones, or if I got a deffective unit. If so, is there someone to contact, or should I send them derectly to westone?

I would try to get the repaired or exchanged - loose wires in the long term becomes looser until something gives. You can try contacting the merchant you bought them from, but you can also contact Westone's customer service. I only had success contacting Westone through their online web form after my pair broke.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,718 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try to get the repaired or exchanged - loose wires in the long term becomes looser until something gives. You can try contacting the merchant you bought them from, but you can also contact Westone's customer service. I only had success contacting Westone through their online web form after my pair broke.

Man this sucks. This is the first time that I have a defective unit right out of the box, especially after owning the IE7, which are built like a tank. I know there is a Westone representative that post a Headfi, might as well ask him what to do as well. Anybody knows his name? And does anybody know if this normal of all Westone earphones or the UM3X is the only one with such low workmanship quality control? I avoided Shure like the plague because of cable built issues.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #2,719 of 4,413
p0wderh0und23 is his HF moniker, but why not just return them where you got them, since they are so new? Or did you get them direct from Westone? Either way, you will have no problems getting a new replacement pair is my guess. This is not the norm, as all manufacturers have issues. But Westone customer service is very good, from what I have read. And Doug, the rep, is also very, very helpful.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #2,720 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p0wderh0und23 is his HF moniker, but why not just return them where you got them, since they are so new? Or did you get them direct from Westone? Either way, you will have no problems getting a new replacement pair is my guess. This is not the norm, as all manufacturers have issues. But Westone customer service is very good, from what I have read. And Doug, the rep, is also very, very helpful.

I got them online through an authorized reseller. Here comes the hassle of sending them back and dealing with warranty issues, which I knew would happen eventually, just not right away. Of course it also happens with the most expensve unit I have ever owned.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #2,721 of 4,413
Quote:

Man this sucks. This is the first time that I have a defective unit right out of the box, especially after owning the IE7, which are built like a tank. I know there is a Westone representative that post a Headfi, might as well ask him what to do as well. Anybody knows his name? And does anybody know if this normal of all Westone earphones or the UM3X is the only one with such low workmanship quality control? I avoided Shure like the plague because of cable built issues.

We'll get ya squared away. Sorry that happened.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2,722 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We'll get ya squared away. Sorry that happened.

What can one do, seems the Shure story all over again. Well, that ought to teach me to not trust reviews of products done by fans of the product.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2,723 of 4,413
Quote:

What can one do, seems the Shure story all over again. Well, that ought to teach me to not trust reviews of products done by fans of the product.

You got unlucky and got a bad sample out of possibly thousands of perfectly fine UM3Xs. What does that have to do with 'trusting' reviews done by others?

The manufacturer already personally responded to your problem in a timely manner, what more do you want?

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2,725 of 4,413
Troll? I paid $350 for a product that I still have not been able to try. That gives me the right to complaint about the built quality of the product, regardless of how quickly a representative got back to me. Considering that I am not the only one that has gotten a badly built one, I am guessing this is not an isolated insident. by the way, since you don' t personally know me, I will apreciate if you refrain of calling me names.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #2,726 of 4,413
Quote:

Troll? I paid $350 for a product that I still have not been able to try. That gives me the right to complaint about the built quality of the product, regardless of how quickly a representative got back to me. Considering that I am not the only one that has gotten a badly built one, I am guessing this is not an isolated insident. by the way, since you don' t personally know me, I will apreciate if you refrain of calling me names.

You are really making somewhat of a fool out of yourself, to be honest. That's not name-calling, just stating the attitude you are copping. Why don't you just get your money back and get some other brand, so there are no issues with built (sic) quality? As long as a company makes good, why resort to such hostility? The Westone rep offered to help you out, and he's a good guy. You, however, seem to be something else. Geez, I though the people in Portland were chill. No one likes to get a defective product out of the box, $37 or $379. But to blame all the owners who have UM3X and like the product is ridiculous.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #2,727 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are really making somewhat of a fool out of yourself, to be honest. That's not name-calling, just stating the attitude you are copping. Why don't you just get your money back and get some other brand, so there are no issues with built (sic) quality? As long as a company makes good, why resort to such hostility? The Westone rep offered to help you out, and he's a good guy. You, however, seem to be something else. Geez, I though the people in Portland were chill. No one likes to get a defective product out of the box, $37 or $379. But to blame all the owners who have UM3X and like the product is ridiculous.

Look, I am not trying to start a fight with every single Westone owner out there, and looking back, I'll concede that I should have kept that first coment to myself. But I have not accused anybody of anything. The representative that I spoke with seemed to be a nice enough guy. But come on, I looked at other people's problems with their phones and they reported the same exact problems that I have. I'll wait till I get my replacements and see if the problems continue. But sorry, this kind of problems should not leave the factory. The fact that a phone left the QC floor with problems that I noticed right away is worrysome to me. I am sure that they are great sounding phones, though, as I already tried them before. Everybody cool?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #2,728 of 4,413
Yeah,but one thing. How many reports of cables being frayed at the plug are there compared to the number of sales without that problem? I have no idea, but I have read this thread from the beginning and only remember 1-2. The more prevalent issue was a loose wire in one of the drivers, causing a vibrating sound when bass is prevalent. It happened to my pair, but I sent them back and not a problem. I guess my view is if a company makes it right, and it doesn't keep recurring (like some other IEM makers' phones I have encountered), that's good enough for me.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #2,730 of 4,413
You could've contacted them FIRST before complaining, seeing if it WAS an isolated incident. Then IF it was, posted here, instead of accusing Westone made a crappy product, when, in your case, it was an anomaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back