Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 7, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #2,596 of 4,413
I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought it could maybe fit in here.

I can't decide on sound quality terms which IEM I want. I think I'll like aspects of both of them.
I'm looking to get a some Westone3's or UM3x.
I'll be using them straight out of my ipod for the forseeable future (I don't think I'll be getting a potable amp for quite a while).

Which would better straight out of my ipod (/computer)?

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2,597 of 4,413
Wouldn't it depend on which sound signature you prefer? W3 is a warmer, more "lush" sound, whereas UM3X is more of a forward mids, less bass presentation.

If you're going for a bit more on details UM3X is the one for you. If you prefer lush sounds W3 would be good for you I believe.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #2,598 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"light". That sounds more than a little evangelical to me.
cheers.

Ah, light in this case means friendship, support and such. Trust me, I'm not religious. I would replace "light" with "a hug" but that could have come off as even weirder. heh

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #2,600 of 4,413
Two things that I really enjoy in music is beautiful vocals and string instruments, especially plucked instruments. I see that many believe the UM3X is amazing with guitars and such. Any thoughts on which IEMs particularly excel in these areas would be highly appreciated!

I understand that the se530 supposedly has an upper-bass, lower-mid hump that leads people to especially enjoy their artificial sound; someone even said that these "do male vocals right," though I'm not a fan of deep vocals anyway. I'm a bit concerned about that hump. Although I may very well be floored by this hump if I ever get to sample the se530, do you guys find it not to your taste?

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #2,601 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyguy106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it depend on which sound signature you prefer? W3 is a warmer, more "lush" sound, whereas UM3X is more of a forward mids, less bass presentation.

If you're going for a bit more on details UM3X is the one for you. If you prefer lush sounds W3 would be good for you I believe.

Do they both run okay straight out of the ipod?

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #2,602 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm i hope you arent suggesting those reasons are why i made dull and lifeless comments (actually i usually refer to it as a dead sound)

for me it has more than enough bass, too much really they can make a very "lively" sound but they always have a dark, deadness to them. everything is precise but there is no decay on anything that gives the impression of air and life. hence why ive said it fools like being in an acoustic chamber as no sound lingers in anyway.

in particular i feel the treble has to hard an attack and no delicate decay like it should and no real extension either. it feels digital, its there then its gone and thats just unnatural. i have similar issue with the tf10 too. nether are bad but neither are they perfect and of course the 530 gets around the treble issue by rolling it off early so you cant really hear its failings unless you eq it back in.

really my biggest issue with the um3x the hype i feel it gets claiming its perfect when it just isnt. it is generally excellent and deserves to be seated at the top table and for some it will be the best option. it is the most even or best compromise on the top tier but in no way shape or form is it "better" than the others. its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8.

I shared , to a somewhat lesser degree, your sonic impression of the treble on the UM3X. Although I find the SE530 to be worse in this area.

I believe now that this is a result of which amp is used.
I am now using an RSA Shadow and the treble on the UM3X is fantastic.

A very natural and extended sound with a natural sense of decay. Not too short and not flat or lifeless like I have heard with other amps.

The shimmer of cymbals is among the best I have heard from audio reproduction.

The UM3X might be more amp dependent than some other IEMs but with the right amp they are superb to me.

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #2,603 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shared , to a somewhat lesser degree, your sonic impression of the treble on the UM3X. Although I find the SE530 to be worse in this area.

I believe now that this is a result of which amp is used.
I am now using an RSA Shadow and the treble on the UM3X is fantastic.

A very natural and extended sound with a natural sense of decay. Not too short and not flat or lifeless like I have heard with other amps.

The shimmer of cymbals is among the best I have heard from audio reproduction.

The UM3X might be more amp dependent than some other IEMs but with the right amp they are superb to me.

Wonderful! What else does the Shadow improve for your UM3X?

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #2,604 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would better straight out of my ipod (/computer)?

Have not heard the W3 but I think that you are likely to find that the UM3X will not pair happily with most computers. The UM3X is rather sensitive and will most likely pick up a lot of noise when fed straight out of the majority of computer headphone jacks. Fed straight out of my iPod Classic 2009 is fine but both configurations will improve with an amp or dac/amp in case of the computer.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #2,605 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fed straight out of my iPod Classic 2009 is fine but both configurations will improve with an amp or dac/amp in case of the computer.

I realize an amp will make improvements, but I'm not interested in an amp. I do my main listening at home, I'm wanting something for riding the bus, travelling on airplanes and studying at uni.
So while I obviously want good sound I'm not trying to replicate my home rig.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #2,606 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X might be more amp dependent than some

It seems to me that being "amp dependent" and "source dependent" is actually a good thing, because it means you hear the difference -- just a thought...

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2,607 of 4,413
Quote:

From a couple head-fiers' impressions on the D4 thread, I surmised that the D4 Mamba could be the next high-end portable audio gear that lacks a high-end price tag.

Are there any other 'obvious' portable USB DAC w/ headphone amp devices that I should also take look at?

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #2,608 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Earlier soozieq said that she had found the descriptions of the UM3X's sound signature contained in this thread to be reasonably accurate, but these did not prepare her for the disappointment that she felt once she experienced them for herself. My own experience appears to be similar to hers and Mark's. Yet we are clearly in the minority in this thread.

well i knew before soozieq tried them she wasnt going to like them but for me the talk on here of "OMG the mid so are every bit as good as the 530 if not better but the treble is fixed' omg these are so better than everything" was just not true and a huge disappointment

its not i hate them i hate them or anything, they are good but sometimes a feel this thread needs a little reality check. very good they may be but they are not perfect and other things do things both differently and in some cases better.

a little objectivity, its an IEM not your favourite granny

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2,609 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other 'obvious' portable USB DAC w/ headphone amp devices that I should also take look at?

To answer my own question, some of what I've found so far (happy to hear other suggestions if you have any):

iBasso D4 Mamba
iBasso

iBasso D2+ Boa
iBasso

NuForce Icon Mobile
Nuforce.com | Icon Mobile

HeadRoom Total BitHead
Headroom Total Bithead - Headphone Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp (Ray Samuels Audio)
Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp - Ray Samuels Audio

i-Qube V2
i-Qube - A new dimension in portable hi-fi*»*specs V2

pico PORTABLE USB DAC / AMP
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (pico Portable USB DAC / Amp)

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #2,610 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer my own question, some of what I've found so far (happy to hear other suggestions if you have any):

iBasso D4 Mamba
iBasso

iBasso D2+ Boa
iBasso

NuForce Icon Mobile
Nuforce.com | Icon Mobile
HeadRoom Total BitHead
Headroom Total Bithead - Headphone Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp (Ray Samuels Audio)
Emmeline "The Predator" Portable USB DAC/Amp - Ray Samuels Audio

i-Qube V2
i-Qube - A new dimension in portable hi-fi*»*specs V2

pico PORTABLE USB DAC / AMP
HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (pico Portable USB DAC / Amp)

I've listened to the Icon mobile extensively as a DAC and utterly despised how it takes your already cramped sounstage and crams it between the two hemispheres of your brain.

Although mids do sound beautiful with the Icon. I like my forward mids.

Also getting a mamba as soon as one appears around here in S'pore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back