Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2,581 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This does not bug me at all.
normal_smile .gif
Let the dissatisfied customers voice their thoughts.

No problem with dissatisfied customers nor different points of view. But most of the satisfied UM3X owners posted on this and other threads a long time ago. It's all pretty much been said already, good or bad, but mainly good.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #2,582 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See my posts above. You lower the attenuator volume to just slightly below max volume on the attenuator, while starting with the laptop at zero. You should hear the low volume/background hiss decrease when you slightly turn down the volume on the attenuator.

Once the attenuator is set, which usually will have it's volume knob rotated about 3-4 mm lower than max volume on the attenuator, then work your way up on the laptop volume until the music level is just right. You should hear little or no hiss between songs or during quiet passages in the music.

The attenuators can slightly veil the music with IEM, taking away a little micro-detail. The impedance adapters can kill the liveliness of the sound (make it flat and dull) or roll off the bass, or it can make it sound better - depending on how well the IEM interacts with the headphone out. My Freq Show customs sound much better with 75 ohm, but my other IEM all sound worse. Someone once reported the Livewires do okay with 50 ohm but not 75 ohm.

It's a smart tip to only use the attenuator for as little as necessary to bring down the hiss (assuming I'm understanding you correctly) in order to preserve as much detail past it.

btw, is this the article/thread you referred to?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lin...4/#post3266088

Can you perhaps help me with a quick understanding about the difference between using an attenuator vs. an impedance adapter -- I now gather these are two different approaches that don't necessarily behave the same? (and with an impedance adapter I have to worry about picking the right ohms?)

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #2,584 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so for you the lifelessness comes in the UM3X's overfast treble decay? the upper register notes sort of clip off rather than hanging in the air? i can certainly understand that.

i had all sorts of issues until i got the fit and the tips just right, but i can certainly see it remaining an issue even with a good fit. unamped, i still feel the need to occasionally EQ the treble up a bit... which i find can really help the UM3X feel more open, or lively. the best solution is an amp, which makes the most difference, and raises the UM3X to another level.

yes but not just treble decay the mids too

its not the quantity i dont like, the quantity is fine its the way it behaves and frankly its a failing of BA IEM's. the closest is the ER4 but it still has that digital sudden fall off that just sounds wrong. an amped IE8 or RE-0 get treble much more right than any BA ive heard

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2,585 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not the quantity i dont like, the quantity is fine its the way it behaves and frankly its a failing of BA IEM's. the closest is the ER4 but it still has that digital sudden fall off that just sounds wrong. an amped IE8 or RE-0 get treble much more right than any BA ive heard

i haven't heard the RE0, but i guess this is just a matter of preference. i prefer the sound of balanced armature IEMs to the dynamics. i think there's also a reason why all the top end custom IEMs use BA drivers.

i like a really fast attack in my treble, which my ER4 obviously has in spades... and UM3X has to a lesser extent. even my speakers have a similar sharp decay, which to me adds to the sense of rhythm.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2,586 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't heard the RE0, but i guess this is just a matter of preference. i prefer the sound of balanced armature IEMs to the dynamics. i think there's also a reason why all the top end custom IEMs use BA drivers.

i like a really fast attack in my treble, which my ER4 obviously has in spades... and UM3X has to a lesser extent. even my speakers have a similar sharp decay, which to me adds to the sense of rhythm.

Hmm, one reason could be the ability to separate higher and lower frequencies through separate tubes right before those frequencies combine in the ear canal.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #2,587 of 4,413
I gather a USB DAC w/ headphone amp should sound a lot better than using my laptop's headphone out (with or without an attenuator or impedance adapter to reduce hiss)?

If so, should I be looking at iBasso? Anything else?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2,588 of 4,413
Quote:

Hey, Mark, this is exactly what I was talking about!
wink_face.gif
Thanks for taking your time to elaborate on what you meant by "dead," and the UM3X not putting a grin on your face. It's these kinds of posts that I find very helpful and interesting. I don't know if you had already posted these details. If you did, sorry that I missed them!

"its not got better treble than the tf10, it doesnt have better mids than the 530 and it doest have better bass than the ie8."

This is very interesting. HeadphoneAddict felt that his ES3X was considerably better than his custom-shelled se530. I wonder if, HPA, do you find the mids of the ES3X less appealing than that of your custom se530? Also, it's intriguing that HPA described his ES3X's bass as being better than his sr-007, while you feel that the IE8's bass sounds better than the UM3X bass. Hmm...

The ES3X are in another league above my SE530 customs - it's like comparing an HD800 to an SR-325i. The ES3X has more bass, that goes deeper, with more presence and impact, fuller richer mids, and no sibilance in the highs. I am never disappointed when I put in the ES3X for a listen, so I stopped personal listening with the SE530 customs, Livewires and Freq Show after I got the ES3X.

More recently I did find the SR-007 bass improves noticeably with a Woo WES, A-10 or KGBH SE amp, rather than my Woo GES. On those amps the SR-007 bass is better.

As for the IE8, only on the ALO Amphora, Qinpu A-3, or opamp rolled D10 did the IE8 bass seem properly proportioned to the rest of the sound.

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #2,589 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a smart tip to only use the attenuator for as little as necessary to bring down the hiss (assuming I'm understanding you correctly) in order to preserve as much detail past it.

btw, is this the article/thread you referred to?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lin...4/#post3266088

Can you perhaps help me with a quick understanding about the difference between using an attenuator vs. an impedance adapter -- I now gather these are two different approaches that don't necessarily behave the same? (and with an impedance adapter I have to worry about picking the right ohms?)

Yeah. In addition, I have more recently compared the Westone attenuator to my Shure attenuator and think I prefer the Westone a little more with my custom IEM. The first review was limited by the quality of my IEM at the time.

As for attenuator vs impedance adapter, I do not believe the attenuator has the same affect on the amp as the impedance adapter - some amps will sound different with a particular phone as the impedance load changes. I think the attenuator uses some combo of resistors in series and parallel to decrease the volume without affecting the load on the amp by very much. I may be mistaken about that.

An example of the effect of impedance. With my IM716, I have a custom 3-switch pod that will allow me to add 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80 or 102 ohms; and as impedance goes up the detail and space comes out but the bass gets thinner and they become less efficient in volume. So the demand on the amp changes with impedance, and only some of my amps were able to handle the higher impedances and still produce strong bass with the IM716. I wrote about this in another thread about IM716 and 102 ohms.

Another example - My Freq Show can sound a little dull and rolled off without extra impedance, but when I hit the 75 ohm switch on my Practical Devices XM5 they all of a sudden wake up and sound great - at the same time the overall volume and efficiency goes down and there is less hiss when used with a noisy source. Germania once measured her Freq at between 8-16 ohms I think, and maybe many amps don't like that.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #2,590 of 4,413
Quote:

You misunderstood my intended message by such a wide margin I don't even know where to start. To address your accusations, which I bolded:

"I find tygon_ridge's expectations a little unrealistic and a tad condescending."

I specifically said that I do not mind any posted impressions of any products on these boards. I said that these are no my standards, but rather, anyone would understand that when people go into these forums looking for clues as to which very expensive audio purchase to make next, they'd naturally give more weight to the opinions that are more descriptive. That doesn't mean that the less descriptive opinions don't deserve to have their place on these forums, nor that the people who post them are somehow doing a disservice to others.

"stringent standards"

I said before, but since you somehow missed it, I'll repeat: I have no problem with anything you post about the UM3X or whatnot. All I did was ask you to specify some specific differences that you heard. Now, being the incredibly wise and mature person that you seem to be, you somehow reacted by giving, in your own words, a "stern lecture." Now, who's "condescending?"

"his critiques about how people choose to express themselves in their posts to himself"

My critiques? All I said was that the less descriptive posts are cool and all, but that the more descriptive posts are even better. Mind explaining why you think this is a critique?

Please be advised: Although I do not intend to create distractions and arguments in this thread, I will not sit still while you slander me with baseless accusations. I believe my messages were very clear, and quite frankly, common sense. I do not see them as critiques of how anyone posts their opinions. I only described their relative values. I never said that your statements about the UM3X bear no value, but you yourself must admit: if you were a head-fier wandering the threads looking for information about these IEMs, you probably give much more consideration to opinions that are built upon solid concrete observations. Concrete descriptions is where we head-fiers get the most value. I've read some great posts, many of which even have determined where I'm leaning towards in my future purchase decisions. The lesser-detailed posts like your own, also intrigue me at best; and intrigued me they did, which was why I wanted to know more, which was why I asked you for a simple comparison that shouldn't take more than 2 minutes of your time - imagine my surprise when my request for your further (respected) opinions was met with something like "haven't you already read enough? go get yourself some iem's already."

tigon_ridge,

I'm not going to derail this thread any further by addressing all of the points that you make in your defence. Suffice to say, I have not misunderstood you but I do challenge your real motivation for posting here, and in the other forum threads.

This thread is 173 pages long and I have read it in its entirety. It is full of the kind of "concrete" descriptions that you prefer. You have visited here many times before and have been actively involved in discussions about the sound characteristics of the UM3X. Just as you have done in the ES3X, JH13/PRO and the IE8 threads over several months.

You claim that you are researching prior to making an informed decision over which IEM you will eventually choose to buy. You have asked numerous questions about each of these IEMs, which Head-Fiers have been generous in responding to. You have also been engaged in discussions where you have offered opinions, and made statements about the characteristics of these IEMs based on the experiences of others, rather than your own.

I'm sorry but I find it incredible that you do not have sufficient information to make an informed decision about the IEM that you are interested in purchasing by now. As detailed or vague, useful or otherwise, that the hundreds of descriptions of the sound signatures of these IEMs might be in these threads that you frequent, they are all subjective and should only be treated as a guide. Other Head-Fiers listening experiences are no substitute for your own.

Earlier soozieq said that she had found the descriptions of the UM3X's sound signature contained in this thread to be reasonably accurate, but these did not prepare her for the disappointment that she felt once she experienced them for herself. My own experience appears to be similar to hers and Mark's. Yet we are clearly in the minority in this thread.

There's nothing wrong with visiting and posting in these threads tigon_ridge. It's obvious to me that you enjoy generating discourse about IEMs and that's fine up to a point. But you remind me of an armchair traveller whom experiences destinations vicariously without ever really knowing what it's like to go there. I am sceptical that you continue to post here because of your need for further information.

If you ever do jump off the fence and start to post your own "detailed" first-hand impressions of your very first IEM, I for one will be most interested in reading them. Until then, my inclination is to be dismissive of your seemingly endless questions because attempting to answer them feels like a waste of time and effort.

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #2,592 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's obvious to me that you enjoy generating discourse about IEMs and that's fine up to a point, but you remind me of an armchair traveller. I am sceptical that you continue to post here because of your need for further information.

If you ever do jump off the fence and start to post your own first hand impressions of your very first IEM, I for one will be most interested in reading them. Until then, my inclination is to be dismissive of your seemingly endless questions.

Yes, I am an armchair traveller, and you know what? I have lots of good fun armchair-travelin. A wise person would do a considerable amount of armchair traveling (research) before he goes out and books an expensive flight towards a destination that he may or may not enjoy as much as other possible locations. Now, how much armchair traveling is enough - that isn't for anyone to decide, but myself; thank you.

Eventually, (though who knows when) I will be able to post impressions of something. Until then, yes, feel free to dismiss all you will. It would be foolish (and impossible) for me to force you in any other direction. I, myself, don't spend that much attention on every one's posts. There are many threads that I visit, and so it's not the best use of my time to mull over every blanket descriptions. Though, I do give some attention to them.

However, I have learned a somewhat valuable lesson of good judgement when interacting with people that I don't know. I will from now on only publicly request information from fellow head-fiers whose degree of character I know for some amount of certainty is such that he will not become overly defensive over some misinterpretation of my words.

"Suffice to say, I have not misunderstood you"

Oh, every subatomic entity in my being knows that you clearly have. You clearly have... In any case, I do not think you are a mean or insensitive person; only that I feel that you needlessly felt insulted due to a misunderstanding. Thus, I now hold no grudge. I send you light. Hand shake?
normal_smile .gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #2,593 of 4,413
Quote:

Indeed, I've been around and reading a lot. There are several "extensive information and impressions" in these forums, but quite frankly, the really detailed ones are still somewhat number in the few. A good portion of these impressions seem like, imo, vague, with descriptions like "they just don't make me grin," "not engaging," "colored," "balanced," "immersive," etc...which I find less useful than those who really elaborate on their statements with concrete descriptions, which is what that makes these forums so helpful, fun and educating. Don't get me wrong, you're not obligated at all to do what I requested (which, let's be honest, isn't much to ask for - some would be happy to help in such way, HeadphoneAddict to name just one).

Yes, I would love to sample all the universal IEMs I'm interested in. Just wish I could accept all the restocking fees that would quickly pile up... if they're even returnable.

I would support you on this part tigon_ridge...

There's no good usage of comparison with other earphones (such that at least you can gauge something from a common ground), together an extensive proper description of the exact differences in sound. Actually many things in sound can be described, just a matter of whether you notice what the difference is that "makes you grin". And due to the lack of proper information which actually gives you a good aural image of what something might sound like, I understand your frustration.

Please note that it is almost impossible to get information that you might want off a forum like this, or virtually anywhere, unless you get a well-informed person to do the testing for you and you trust the person's taste. I understand that opinions in here differ so widely about the same thing that sometimes it might not even make sense. But no use saying it here, and getting into an argument for it.

And yes there have been much aid that he has received, iponderous, but the truth of the fact is that he lacks the particular kind of help he's looking for. And with limited resources there's only so much he can do...

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #2,594 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gather a USB DAC w/ headphone amp should sound a lot better than using my laptop's headphone out (with or without an attenuator or impedance adapter to reduce hiss)?

If so, should I be looking at iBasso? Anything else?

External DAC+headamp vs. laptop headphone out... for noise-vulnerable, sensitive IEMs. Who wins the match? To cast my prediction, I think after round 1, the lappie headphone out wouldn't even be able to stand up for round 2 to begin. Not only are integrated sound devices are cheaper than cheap, they're fed with (electrical) fuel that is polluted with impurities and then slapped on with some electromagnetic interference.

From a couple head-fiers' impressions on the D4 thread, I surmised that the D4 Mamba could be the next high-end portable audio gear that lacks a high-end price tag. Mmmm... Cheers to that! haha

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #2,595 of 4,413
tygon_ridge,

It is you whom misunderstands my reaction. I was not insulted by you, just irritated. Every "subatomic entity" of your being? I'm afraid this is a concept that I do not understand. Let's just agree to disagree. Your offer of a handshake is accepted and I extend you one in return, but you can refrain from sending me any "light". That sounds more than a little evangelical to me. I'm sure you mean well but I visit these forums for the headphones, not to be saved.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back