Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #2,491 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then that must be an absolutely awesome cable

It is. It beats out the UM3X's by quite a bit in several aspects IMHO, losing out in none.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2,492 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which amp do use VicAjax to winden the soundstage incredibly? I'm in a rather desperate need for such an amp.

right now, i'm using a friend's old Xin Supermini IV. it opens up the treble considerably, tightens up the bass and widens/deepens the soundstage, while keeping the instrument separation and imaging well-focused.

i think i saw you say somewhere that you found the Ety ER4 to have a bigger soundstage than the UM3X... but i hear a larger ss with the latter, so i'm not sure an amp will make enough of a difference to satisfy you.

the sounstage is still not as expansive as a full-size open (or even good closed) can will give you.... still an intimate sound, but very three-dimensional, where it's flatter unamped.

i'm waiting to hear impressions on the Pico Slim when it comes out, and maybe more thoughts on the iBasso T3... but i have a feeling i will end up with the RSA Shadow.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #2,493 of 4,413
I never thought of wearing them like that but have just given it a try and for some inexplicable reason I seem to be getting a better seal this way than when I run the cable down under the chin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to barge
smily_headphones1.gif
in but they are made to be worn like that: behind the back of the ears and the cables behind the head. I don't think it looks goofy because they are not showing at all. I wear them like that and the only "bad" thing, if you can call it that, is people trying to talk to you because they can't even see you are wearing earphones but I think it's a good thing.

Of course you can use them as you prefer but those cables were not designed to hang under the chin hence some customers complaining about the length of the cable until the Y. For the way they were designed to be worn, the cables are perfect. If you like the cables hanging in front of you (I do that when flying) you can simply let the cables come back over your shoulder from your left or right.

Shure and UE were also designed to be worn that way.

Again, you can use them as you please but keep in mind that when they were designed, the back around the ear / back of the head modality, was the starting point.

That also allows me to do many things and never have the cables in the way. Not only outdoors but indoors as well (typing, eating, carrying stuff, and a couple of other things I can think about
redface.gif
etc.).

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2,495 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude... you're funny. you've been harping on the UM3X negatives since June... you've basically set yourself up not to like them. i would have advised you not to even buy them.

and if you're looking for soundstage, try the UM3X with an amp... it deepens and widens the soundstage incredible, while keeping the instruments locked in place. a good amp will truly take these to the next level.

+1 for trying different sleeves. tips and an amp make a huge difference with the UM3X.

Well I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't where you're concerned. Just think about what you're saying. Do you really think I'd shell out almost $400.00 on a pair of IEMs in the hope of being disappointed by them? I certainly don't feel vindicated by my experience with the UM3X's thus far and nor should you.

Once again I feel compelled to repeat what I said to you in another thread, and that is you couldn't be more wrong. So please stop attempting to second guess the reasons behind my actions, it's really not your forte.

As I said in my previous post, I will now spend some time listening to the UM3X's exclusively and I sincerely hope that they do grow on me. I also purchased a universal tip kit and I have settled on the soft grey silicones, which I prefer.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #2,496 of 4,413
The medium Flex sleeves partially alleviated the muffle issue for me. Unfortunately, I still felt that the phones were muffled at times.

Don't know why I didn't do this before but inserting different sized Flex tips on the channels really opens these phones up for me. Less issues inserting them as well. My God. These phones sound pretty damn good.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2,498 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, try them with electronic music or jazz.
By the way, today is se530 day for me. Telegraph Road w/ Dire Straights... beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestions scrane. I mainly listen to jazz and I'll be popping the UM3X's in this afternoon for an extended listening session.

Who knows I might even start to like them and if I do, I'll be sure to post it here in really big letters for the benefit of my analyst who also frequents this thread apparently.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2,499 of 4,413
Hey, guys, be sure to look into iBasso's new flagship dac/amp, the D4 Mamba. It costs $56 less than their former flagship, the D10! I have an inkling it might have very, very good synergy with the UM3X. Not quite certain... still waiting for HPA's impressions.

EDIT: Btw, both the D10 and D4 are dac+amp units. The D4, however, is USB-input only - no spdif. From what Hiflight said, the amp portion sounds just as good at their portable amp-only unit, the P3+, that sells for just as much as the D4; while the DAC portion sounds even better than the one in the D10 (through spdif no less!), which is faaar from being a slouch! Thus, I scratch my head at these price figures... How did iBasso do it?!

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2,500 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ADW - the amp you seek is the RSA Shadow.

Blimey... $395. Thats 1.7x the cost of my UM3X. Thanks for the tip though. Am looking for a DAC/amp which is around $200 and am leaning towards the D4 which is supposed to be excellent. I don't have an ipod or device with any lod so a portable amp is useless for me at the moment

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then that must be an absolutely awesome cable cbeause to me the Westone cables are the best iem cables I have tried (only beaten on sound by the APS Ety cable).

Idk about how much cables help sound but i dislike the design of the cable with its braid. Creates too much noise and doesn't weigh itself down enough to keep really stable.

A single, smooth and heavier strand is the best IMO.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #2,501 of 4,413
I find the Westone cable to be the quietest and least microphonic iem cable around and find it's flexibility to be one of it's best attributes.

And where do you find the UM3X for $230 ?

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #2,502 of 4,413
nc8000;6135675 said:
I find the Westone cable to be the quietest and least microphonic iem cable around and find it's flexibility to be one of it's best attributes.

QUOTE]

I know you are among the biggest Ety fans on the forum. So after a couple weeks with UM3X do you find it un-doubtedly superior to ER4, even with APuresound cable?

Is there much change to you when amping the UM3X?

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #2,503 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you are among the biggest Ety fans on the forum. So after a couple weeks with UM3X do you find it un-doubtedly superior to ER4, even with APuresound cable?

Is there much change to you when amping the UM3X?

There is no phone (that I have tried) that beats the ER4 at what it is best at namely the speed and sparkle of the treble however I do find the UM3X to do a good job at it and it certainly improves on the ER4 where it has it weaker spots. The APS balanced ER4 still beats the UM3X in everything even when driving the UM3X single ended from my RPX-100. Generally I don't find that amping improves the UM3X as much as it does the ER4.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2,505 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here, I guess: IN EAR GEAR

Not anymore it appears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back