Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #1,531 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats!! you're gonna love them. although they would and do make a good monitor. I do not find they have the typical dry monitor sound. they are totally neutral enough, but IMO they are more musical than average.

i also ordered a pair of um56 custom tip. damn its expensive.
triportsad.gif

hope they fit my ears nicely, not sure there will be any difference in sound. well gonna wait though...
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #1,533 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^
For PFEs vs UM3Xs, It has been discussed here.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...e-um3x-433215/

Bottom line, I lke both of them.

Hello I was reading your reply regarding the PFEs. I am curious how does the D10 sound with the Phonaks, and what filter are you using? I am using a D2 with the PFEs with the gray filters. With out any Bass boost the Phonaks def. sound weak in the bottom end. I tried the black filters but IMO I think it
makes the sound to muddy.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,534 of 4,413
Best wishes to Zaliathan, speedy recovery too!
smily_headphones1.gif

On topic of UM3X - I have used large Shure gray soft silicon tips for the first time last night... I am usually a "medium size sleeve person" (use medium size Shure olives, medium complies, medium foams) and tried medium size gray soft silicone tips at some point too- wasnt at all impressed with the sound at the time. With mediums the bass was tighter then with foam based sleeves, but everything was really congested, forced.

But with LARGE soft grey silicone/rubber sleeves - I was simply gobsmacked with the UM3x sound's definition, extension, texture, speed, attack! Sound stage has appeared all of a sudden... To sum it up in one word, the sound RESOLUTION has seemingly doubled with these sleeves. Especially so when compared to foam based tips.
The negatives are that although the bass is tight now (kind of like on PK1s), but lean, maybe a touch too much so. And, the worst of all, dark gray silicones have worst isolation of all tips.

BUT!.. I start to understand the rationale behind custom sleeves- they are always made of rigid silicone like material which means the sound should be opposite to "boomy"(er) signature associated foam based sleeves.

Bottom line: To get a glimpse of what your IEMs are capable of, one needs to listen to them with soft silicone tips!!!! (Based on my experience- get them size larger than your usual sleeves)

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #1,535 of 4,413
Thanks for the wishes everyone. I'm off to the neurologists later today, so hopefully something will come of that!

I agree with Ubijza in a sense. I don't remember if I really tried the silicon tips or not, but I remember using the UM3X's with modded tri flanges and medium olives which both seemed to work well. The comply's don't seem to work very well, and for anyone who has Shure tips or tips from another Westone product, I'd highly recommend those.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #1,537 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any of my top tier IEMS anymore, ended up trading/selling most of them.

UM3X for W3's, IE8's for cash, W3's for HD25's+cash. =p. I actually find the Sony X treble to be fairly soft, at least in comparison to the highs on the D2 so I would probably look for something more aggressive on the top end - like the W3's or TF10's. I did get to try the W3's on the X. They sounded pretty good but the highs seemed pretty tame. I think I should refrain from giving comparisons and stuff for a while though as I'm experiencing some major health issues which make it hard for me to give accurate impressions. Heading off to the Neurologists tomorrow, so maybe I can enjoy music again soon and actually remember stuff properly.
frown.gif

The X is pretty mellow, and a brighter pair of IEMS would probably complement it better.

Thanks for your advice. I just want to let you know your comparison is always useful to me. Good Luck. Be well!

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,538 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello I was reading your reply regarding the PFEs. I am curious how does the D10 sound with the Phonaks, and what filter are you using? I am using a D2 with the PFEs with the gray filters. With out any Bass boost the Phonaks def. sound weak in the bottom end. I tried the black filters but IMO I think it
makes the sound to muddy.

Ok, I was using PFEs with silicone tips + gray filters. Ok, to get a good sound, I had to crank the volume till 3 oclock. The sound signature do changed, accordingly, similar to the loudness curve. The more volume level, the more bass you get.
smily_headphones1.gif
As I mentined earlier, the bass was there, fast and extended too, and still enjoyable.. . I think I am more toward to treblehead
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not listening to the PFEs for a month, now, and hope I still can accept the PFEs, when I get it back next month.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,539 of 4,413
Quote:

I think I should refrain from giving comparisons and stuff for a while though as I'm experiencing some major health issues which make it hard for me to give accurate impressions. Heading off to the Neurologists tomorrow, so maybe I can enjoy music again soon and actually remember stuff properly.
frown.gif

No my friend. You already gave us a clear and accurate impression about UM3Xs and X1000, are similar to mine
smily_headphones1.gif
. No worries. everything will be fine... Best wishes .. again.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,540 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also ordered a pair of um56 custom tip. damn its expensive.
triportsad.gif

hope they fit my ears nicely, not sure there will be any difference in sound. well gonna wait though...
ksc75smile.gif

Oh, there will be. Congrats btw.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,541 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I was using PFEs with silicone tips + gray filters. Ok, to get a good sound, I had to crank the volume till 3 oclock. The sound signature do changed, accordingly, similar to the loudness curve. The more volume level, the more bass you get.
smily_headphones1.gif
As I mentined earlier, the bass was there, fast and extended too, and still enjoyable.. . I think I am more toward to treblehead
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not listening to the PFEs for a month, now, and hope I still can accept the PFEs, when I get it back next month.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you

Thanks, Were you using the bass boost on the touch?

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,542 of 4,413
Quote:

I don't have any of my top tier IEMS anymore, ended up trading/selling most of them.

UM3X for W3's, IE8's for cash, W3's for HD25's+cash. =p. I actually find the Sony X treble to be fairly soft, at least in comparison to the highs on the D2 so I would probably look for something more aggressive on the top end - like the W3's or TF10's. I did get to try the W3's on the X. They sounded pretty good but the highs seemed pretty tame. I think I should refrain from giving comparisons and stuff for a while though as I'm experiencing some major health issues which make it hard for me to give accurate impressions. Heading off to the Neurologists tomorrow, so maybe I can enjoy music again soon and actually remember stuff properly.
frown.gif

The X is pretty mellow, and a brighter pair of IEMS would probably complement it better.

Prayers are with you man.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #1,543 of 4,413
I'm with everyone that says silicone or an non-foamy tips are better because I have to EQ up the highs with both Comply's and Shure olives.....will have to wait till I get back home to see if the Shure tips I have make any difference.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #1,544 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Were you using the bass boost on the touch?

No. I don't have any iPods. I only listened to it at stores, but I have the Sony X1000 series Walkman. Bass boost? Nope, I do not eq or bass-boost to any of my musics
smily_headphones1.gif
. Everything just straight from my laptop to D10 via USB.
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back