Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #1,426 of 4,413
i don't think you can go wrong with phones from westone - but you have to realise what sound signature you need. the um2 remain one of my favourites to this day despite their sibilant highs. the um3x i have yet to hear but look forward to that day.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #1,427 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all just got my UM3X after much research for the most neutral IEM and am satisfied with the purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway does it requires "burn in"?

Cheers

I say it requires burn in. Believe it or not. I was not very impressed when it was out of box. After 200 hours, it settled down and not much change until now, 280 hours

Search my post, you can see the difference
atsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #1,428 of 4,413
Thanks guys,

Well when I took it out from the box straight away I plug into my iPhone 3GS and it sounded good but the highs is bit harsh (only noticed I listen them with Treble Booster. Ok then turn it off the EQ ok it sounded better. After about 1 hour listening I changed to my iPod Touch 2G and with Treble Booster EQ again and eh, the highs is not harsh anymore and now it is better hopefully getting better still.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #1,430 of 4,413
I've had my UM3X's for about a month now. I am still adjusting to the closer presentation since I have been listening exclusively to speakers for many years now. But the high's don't fatigue my ears like the SR-60's do, which is a big plus. They're also good for playing 3D games too since they isolate so well and are comfortable for hours on end.

I do feel they NEED a good source though. I am newer to this hobby but I discern a substantial difference between my 1st-gen iPhone and the line-out on my Xonar STX, for example. I don't really like using the iPhone, while the STX is quite enjoyable. I have been researching some better portable sources now, since none of my Apple sources "do it" for me anymore.

I let a friend try them out. He was skeptical why I would spend over $300 on them. He's used to Skullcandy's and other cheap headphones, which made his reaction understandable. We had a smoke and then I let him try them out. He was flat out AMAZED at how good the music coming out of his Nano sounded. He kept changing tracks with a big smile on his face, saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh" over and over. When he (finally) let me have them back, the first words out of his mouth were "I'm saving up for those." Case closed!

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #1,431 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all just got my UM3X after much research for the most neutral IEM and am satisfied with the purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway does it requires "burn in"?

Cheers

+1 on being *very* neutral -- not tilted up or down. The only criticism I have read here at HF is very vague. "I don't smile"; "I don't grin". Hard to find credibility, objectivity or any legitimate audiophile description in this sketchy nonsense. Also, like highly resolving neutral gear, source plays a significant factor. Guys who claim that they cannot hear the difference amped versus un-amped are either highly suspect in their motivation or, perhaps, in their hearing. Or, simply using an assortment of subpar gear for their comparison. My current home reference standards are fairly high (see my profile for my main home rig) and I find these to be superbly balanced and neutral. For the record, I am using an RSA SR71-A with a Shar LOD from my iPod Classic (Gen V) with long P-series Comply tips.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,432 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if I should trade my IE8 for UM3X or W3? Whats the difference sound wise?

I found the UM3X to be more similar to the IE8s in overall presentation. Yes, if you take each frequency and compare they aren't very similar, but on a whole the UM3X are pretty laid back to my ears compared to the W3.

IE8's have recessed mids, semi sparkly highs and a lot of sub and mid bass. Smooth and laid back overall. Very warm.

W3's have quite a bit of mid bass depending on tips, neutral vocals and and a splashier treble. They have the most "edge" out of the three. Highest likelihood for sibilance of the three but I haven't had any problems with it.

UM3X are overall pretty neutral but if anything is forward, it's the mids. They have great balance, and are smooth all around. The treble might be lacking for some. It's definitely not rolled off, but not as in your face as some people may like. The bass has solid impact as well and unless you're a basshead I doubt you'll be disappointed. Warm instead of cold/analytical.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #1,433 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the UM3X to be more similar to the IE8s in overall presentation. Yes, if you take each frequency and compare they aren't very similar, but on a whole the UM3X are pretty laid back to my ears compared to the W3.

IE8's have recessed mids, semi sparkly highs and a lot of sub and mid bass. Smooth and laid back overall. Very warm.

W3's have quite a bit of mid bass depending on tips, neutral vocals and and a splashier treble. They have the most "edge" out of the three. Highest likelihood for sibilance of the three but I haven't had any problems with it.

UM3X are overall pretty neutral but if anything is forward, it's the mids. They have great balance, and are smooth all around. The treble might be lacking for some. It's definitely not rolled off, but not as in your face as some people may like. The bass has solid impact as well and unless you're a basshead I doubt you'll be disappointed. Warm instead of cold/analytical.

I guess UM3x is extremely source dependent.

Iphone has pretty close presentation with UM3X. My onboard sound card seems like to choke me to death with ultra upfront presentation. I just got Korg mr-1 player which brings me new experience, a little laid back presentation like IE8.

These 3 player have one common point, smooth and natural presentation.

Detail / Soundstage Wise, Korg MR-1 is the best

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #1,434 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if I should trade my IE8 for UM3X or W3? Whats the difference sound wise?

i find them crazy source dependant, unamped out of my ipod they really are rather good, certainly IE8 and 530 competition but still none of them are better than each other, just sideways steps. the 8 and 530 are much more stable, they sound more of less the same amped or not whereas the um3 changes dramatically how it sounds

the only difference of significance id say would be the isolation. the westones isolate way better than the IE8 does

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #1,435 of 4,413
Anyone used these unamped with a Sansa Clip?
Any feedback would be great.

I apologize if this ground was already covered, but I did not see it on the 50+ pages I read.

I have a pair of UM3X on the way - can't wait to try them out.
I am hoping to get good results sans amp, for a killer "stealth" rig.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #1,436 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find them crazy source dependant, unamped out of my ipod they really are rather good, certainly IE8 and 530 competition but still none of them are better than each other, just sideways steps. the 8 and 530 are much more stable, they sound more of less the same amped or not whereas the um3 changes dramatically how it sounds

the only difference of significance id say would be the isolation. the westones isolate way better than the IE8 does

should fiio e5 be enough to drive the um3x?

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #1,438 of 4,413
UM3X is very sensitive. No amp needed. But, if you want different sound signature, why not.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #1,440 of 4,413
do you guys think um3x performs well for metal? or should i just go for w3?
i do listen to metallica(specially) and megadeth mostly
i also like many kinds of music(pop(u2), rock, classical) but it is a MUST to perform well with metallica and alikes

if it helps for comparison purposes, i have a ath-ck7, and it is just WAY too harsh for my ears, i have to equalize to something like -6 db on the 4~8k range, this thing, has no hope for me :x i even thought it was defective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back