Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #826 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that I read your W3 review some time ago, and I read your W3 vs UMX3 review this week. I'll take another look at your W3 review. Thanks again for your assistance. I purchased the HF2 by the way, and your impressions of it formed part of my decision making process. I'm very much looking forward to receiving it.

I really hope you enjoy them!

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #827 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I wont say too much about the UM3X that I heard at CanJam vs my ES3X till I do a review, except that the ES3X are still fairly well above the performance of the UM3X. Although the UM3X do bridge the gap between the W3 and ES3X, to sound a little better than the W3, the UM3X are still in the middle and don't have the breathtaking goosebumps affect on me like the ES3X.

That being said, the UM3X with my UM56 tips are now the best universal fit IEM that I have tried, and easily match the performance of the universit fit demo of the UE4Pro customs. What they bring to the table over the W3 is a more present and detailed midrange, with better transparency. And they offer the benefit of being tuned by various ear tips, with good re-sale value and ability to share them due to being a universal. They seem less sensitive to what tip you need to use for the best sound than the W3.

Also, I found out at CanJam that using the UM56 tips on the Westone 3 DEFINITELY brings the W3 closer to the sound of the UM3X, by filling in the midrange presence and midrange detail, and smoothing the highs and the bass. So, with UM56 tips on BOTH the W3 and on the UM3X, the UM3X would rank between the W3 and the ES3X, but closer to the W3 than the ES3X. But this is because the UM56 tips definitely raises the level of performance of the W3 higher, and EVERYONE who owns the W3 should invest in a set of UM56 tips.

After CanJam, I have decided I would rather sell my Sennheiser IE8 to buy an UM3X than to get rid of the W3 which I shall be keeping.
very_evil_smiley.gif

How does the soundstage compare between the UM3X and the W3?

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #828 of 4,413
I've finally managed to get shure olives that stay securely on the stem. The treble is much much improved over the complys and the bass has dramatically tightened up as well. I did not realise how bad the complys really were. I'm now pretty happy with my setup.

Next step would be to consider UM56 i guess...

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #830 of 4,413
I prefer the Shure soft/silicon flex sleeves. I also have some Klipsch large single flange that work well. Both are a better sound than any foams for me personally. More clarity. I like the olives/foams if I use my iem's while working outside etc and need them to stay in more securely. Even then I prefer the shure yellow foams. all this is just my personal preference.
Unfortunately I don't think you can buy the Klipsch gels anywhere, I had them from when I registered custom3 a year or so ago. Very comfy.
Good luck.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #831 of 4,413
Quote:

How does the soundstage compare between the UM3X and the W3?

W3: The overall distance of where the music is coming from sounds a bit farther away. Pretty good separation of instruments.

UM3X: The overall distance of where the music is coming from sounds closer in. Superior separation of instruments in relation to one another.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #832 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've finally managed to get shure olives that stay securely on the stem. The treble is much much improved over the complys and the bass has dramatically tightened up as well. I did not realise how bad the complys really were. I'm now pretty happy with my setup.

Next step would be to consider UM56 i guess...

I have exactly the same experience
smile_phones.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #833 of 4,413
Jun 3, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #834 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you should ask: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5734734-post1496.html

I'm sorry if I appear obtuse but it's not clear to me which of these phones you are referring to when you comment about the soundstage of one sounding like it is about 10 rows back and the other sounding closer. Would you please clarify that for me?

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #835 of 4,413
^^3 posts up.......................

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #836 of 4,413
Quote:

I'm sorry if I appear obtuse but it's not clear to me which of these phones you are referring to when you comment about the soundstage of one sounding like it is about 10 rows back and the other sounding closer. Would you please clarify that for me?

fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back