Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 1, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #796 of 4,413
I talked to Doug regarding the little noise some early UM3x make. He told me is not a serious problem. Apparently is related to a loose wire wrapped around the drivers, if that makes any sense. He told me to send it back and they would take care of it. In my dealings with Westone, I have always been very impressed with their customer service. it is second to none.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #798 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMUSCLE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the 2g? the 2g has a headphone out that is "modified" to only fit ipod buds.

YES.

You can use ANY earphone with iPods, iPhones. The only special feature about the jack is for wired mics, controls, etc, which has no bearing on regular earphones.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #799 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the IEM's some time for you to adjust to them. Coming from E4's, yes, UM3X will sound quite bassy but the treble should be far superior as well. Surprised you think it is lacking.

Yeah I agree that is probably cause of my use of the E4c and my HS80m, the latter tends to be pretty bright in the 2-4 khz octave and I have grown accustomed to that sound.

I will compare it to my dealer's set somewhere this week, just to be sure its not just my set. I will also get another pair of Shure olives, as my current pair that i took from my e4c is really loose on the UM3x and had to be tweezed out of my ears yesterday.

I do find that the treble is beautiful after EQ, but i guess my tastes differ quite a bit from the norm and I'm probably one of the few trebleheads here.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #800 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES.

You can use ANY earphone with iPods, iPhones. The only special feature about the jack is for wired mics, controls, etc, which has no bearing on regular earphones.

Actually, the iPhone 2G jack is recessed into the casing, and thus you need an adapter for some earphone 3.5mm plugs which have a wider base.

The 3G has a jack that is flush with the casing, and thus you do not need an adapter.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #801 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the iPhone 2G jack is recessed into the casing, and thus you need an adapter for some earphone 3.5mm plugs which have a wider base.

The 3G has a jack that is flush with the casing, and thus you do not need an adapter.

I thought he was talking about iPod Touch, my mistake. You're right, he'd need an adapter with the 2G iPhone... forgot about that..

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #803 of 4,413
Well, I wont say too much about the UM3X that I heard at CanJam vs my ES3X till I do a review, except that the ES3X are still fairly well above the performance of the UM3X. Although the UM3X do bridge the gap between the W3 and ES3X, to sound a little better than the W3, the UM3X are still in the middle and don't have the breathtaking goosebumps affect on me like the ES3X.

That being said, the UM3X with my UM56 tips are now the best universal fit IEM that I have tried, and easily match the performance of the universit fit demo of the UE4Pro customs. What they bring to the table over the W3 is a more present and detailed midrange, with better transparency. And they offer the benefit of being tuned by various ear tips, with good re-sale value and ability to share them due to being a universal. They seem less sensitive to what tip you need to use for the best sound than the W3.

Also, I found out at CanJam that using the UM56 tips on the Westone 3 DEFINITELY brings the W3 closer to the sound of the UM3X, by filling in the midrange presence and midrange detail, and smoothing the highs and the bass. So, with UM56 tips on BOTH the W3 and on the UM3X, the UM3X would rank between the W3 and the ES3X, but closer to the W3 than the ES3X. But this is because the UM56 tips definitely raises the level of performance of the W3 higher, and EVERYONE who owns the W3 should invest in a set of UM56 tips.

After CanJam, I have decided I would rather sell my Sennheiser IE8 to buy an UM3X than to get rid of the W3 which I shall be keeping.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #804 of 4,413
I'm pretty convinced the added distance of the larger complys improves the soundstage versus Shure olives or the smaller complys. I don't understand how people find the sound muffled with larger complys. Just make sure the tip opening is fully exposed. Don't mash the foam over the tip opening.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #805 of 4,413
HeadphoneAddict
Thank you for your first UM3X impression. I really appreciated it, and the UM3Xs will be in my collection soon
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Thanks again.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #806 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one has to keep in mind 2 specs with how easy a headphone is to drive. these may be 56ohms, but they are VERY sensitive; thus being easier to drive than you would imagine. wow, cant wait for mine to get here. they sound sweet and will be good company till ES3X gets here in a month or so. keep the impressions rolling guys, good stuff
beerchug.gif
i'm giddy as a schoolgirl

Have you received your UMX3's yet? I'd be interested to read your impressions, particularly in comparison to your SE530's.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #807 of 4,413
no comment...still waiting dont know whats up with that

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #808 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no comment...still waiting dont know whats up with that

Oh well, if/when they do arrive, I'd appreciate your thoughts about them as I'm intending to purchase either the UM3X or the SE530. I'm not quite sure which way to jump at the moment. The impressions I've gathered from Head-fiers who have owned both phones is that the UM3X has better treble extension than the SE530, more detail and superior instrument separation. However, the UM3X also appears to be a warmer, smoother sounding phone overall, with a smaller soundstage and bass that isn't as tightly defined as the SE530s.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #809 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh well, if/when they do arrive, I'd appreciate your thoughts about them as I'm intending to purchase either the UM3X or the SE530. I'm not quite sure which way to jump at the moment. The impressions I've gathered from Head-fiers who have owned both phones is that the UM3X has better treble extension than the SE530, more detail and superior instrument separation. However, the UM3X also appears to be a warmer, smoother sounding phone overall, with a smaller soundstage and bass that isn't as tightly defined as the SE530s.

DO NOT get the SE530 if you can afford the UM3X - you will probably like them, but regret it once you actually hear the Westone later.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #810 of 4,413
If SE530 and UM3X are priced somewhat similar, then get the UM3X, if only for avoiding the
cable problem of SE530 that some users have reported. As long as you are not a basshead/
treblehead you will enjoy your UM3X.

Congrat, sorry for your wallet, happy for your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back