Westone UM3X Thread
May 14, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #541 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ought I would post this as it seems there is a misunderstanding with regard to the UM56; the UM56 is available in the harder vinyl material, but it is also available in a softer silicone material (this is the one I have) which is much more comfortable for extended listening sessions

Oh! I thought PowerHound mentioned only silicon/hard material was available because it would provide a better pivot. Not sure exactly what he meant except maybe the softer material won't anchor the IEM as well as vinyl. Sounds like you prefer the silicon/softer material. Any problems with it? isolation hopefully is comparable.

May 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #542 of 4,413
well people including me, had trouble keeping them on the W3 because of the short sound tube, but since the UM3X are the same housing design as UM2; I would think they would be fine. of course powderhound probably knows better than me since I havent got the UM3X yet; but I would think that since its been working on the UM2 for ages there would be no problem. hopefully he'll pop in, if they wont work on UM3X that kinda sux as I already have the softer material. works great with my SE530 (although I was initially sold it to go with W3, but they hadnt seen a W3 before mine), but of course they have a longer tube with a barb on it. if they dont work, I wonder why they even make the softer one at all since it doesnt work on W3 and if not these, then wont work on UM2 or UM3X so what DO they fit on??? other peoples headphones??

as far as the sound on SE530 its great; isolation is really good; very comfortable bass and soundstage is superb. I would not have it any other way. I hope I dont have to give that up if they dont fit properly on UM3X

May 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #543 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the UM2 years ago, and I may not be remembering correctly, but these sound VERY similar. I assume others have had the chance to compare the two directly. Just like when I had the UM2, I feel that the UM3X need some treble boost. They sound muffled in the highs to me.

Again, I'm still in the first few hours of listening, and many have said they had a similar impression in the beginning. I'm still hoping for the veil to go away. I'll leave them playing overnight even though I have little belief in BA burn-in. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

What tips are you using? Olives, modded bi flanges, silicon tips, and the larger comply's bring the highs out. The small comply's provided have the worst treble.

May 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #544 of 4,413
just read through posts, i also have the problem of hearing vibrations, except that it's in both sides. probably wait for restock before going back to the shop to enquire about it...

May 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #545 of 4,413
I read that Mike offer better price. Is it for all or only for people who has um2/w3 from him and want uprgrade on um3x?

May 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #546 of 4,413
The UM56 fits like a glove on the UM3X (same as it does on the UM2). As for the materials, it's either the vinyl or silicone material.

The statement made on the pivot point was relating to the full customs. The "flex canal" needs a sold seam to really be of benefit. Someone asked why we did not use it on the UM56.

May 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #547 of 4,413
hey powderhound, a few of us have been experiencing vibrations on the um3x body when we tap it lightly. it feels that the drivers inside may be loose. is it normal?

May 14, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #548 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey powderhound, a few of us have been experiencing vibrations on the um3x body when we tap it lightly. it feels that the drivers inside may be loose. is it normal?

It could either be a driver (unlikely) or it could be one of the other components (more likely) like the wires or caps. It should not be effecting the sound quality. Lemme go check a few in the assembly lab and see if I cannot also find one that does this.

May 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #549 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM56 fits like a glove on the UM3X (same as it does on the UM2). As for the materials, it's either the vinyl or silicone material.

The statement made on the pivot point was relating to the full customs. The "flex canal" needs a sold seam to really be of benefit. Someone asked why we did not use it on the UM56.

I'm on the process of ordering the UM56 (getting my impressions done tomorrow) but I'm still not sure which material would be better in terms of SQ/isolation/comfort. If you can provide more detail regarding differences between both materials would be much appreciated.

May 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #550 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could either be a driver (unlikely) or it could be one of the other components (more likely) like the wires or caps. It should not be effecting the sound quality. Lemme go check a few in the assembly lab and see if I cannot also find one that does this.

When wearing the phones with no music playing, tap lightly on the body of the UM3X with your fingernail. It will be obvious if the housing has a vibration. I can also hear it when I just close my teeth together. I haven't walked around with the phones yet, but someone else mentioned hearing it while walking as well.

The resonating vibration is only on the left earpiece in my phones, but it sounds like it has affected both sides for other users. The best test is the fingernail tap on the housing while the phones are sealed in your ear. I hope this issue gets resolved soon. I appreciate your direct response to our concerns, CK

May 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #551 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on the process of ordering the UM56 (getting my impressions done tomorrow) but I'm still not sure which material would be better in terms of SQ/isolation/comfort. If you can provide more detail regarding differences between both materials would be much appreciated.

Honestly the material should not matter with comfort. If the earpiece is made right, you cannot tell what material it is once it's in your ear (and before someone even comments.. NO YOU CANNOT..it's psychoanalytical). Now as for the longevity of the earpiece and how it maintains the isolation factor, the silicone can be better. Reason being, that vinyl is a porous material and will react with your skin chemistry. This over a few years (normally) will cause the material to begin to shrink and become slightly more stiff. I know a pair of UM56 I had made 4 years ago has started to do this.

SQ.. to my ear, I cannot tell a difference.

May 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #552 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When wearing the phones with no music playing, tap lightly on the body of the UM3X with your fingernail. It will be obvious if the housing has a vibration. I can also hear it when I just close my teeth together. I haven't walked around with the phones yet, but someone else mentioned hearing it while walking as well.

The resonating vibration is only on the left earpiece in my phones, but it sounds like it has affected both sides for other users. The best test is the fingernail tap on the housing while the phones are sealed in your ear. I hope this issue gets resolved soon. I appreciate your direct response to our concerns, CK

If this is an honest concern, then I would contact the dealer you purchased it from, and get it replaced. I'll still be looking into it and mention it to the team as well.

May 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #553 of 4,413
I've already contacted the dealer and I will be getting my pair replaced. I just wanted to make sure the issue was known to someone that has the power to look further into it. I will hate to be without my new phones for a week or so since they just arrived, but I do want a pair without this vibration.

May 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #554 of 4,413
I got my replacement for the same problem. I appreciated a mild inequality of sound and the vibration of the left ear piece when touching. Something metalic. I do not want any vibrating parts inside my 379$ worth IEM, which could add some distortion to sound. New pair is perfect and I really feel sound quality is better.

May 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #555 of 4,413
IMHO Westone should recall all IEMs (UM3X) which have similar issue. It is not acceptable for a high end product like UM3X to have anomalies like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back